I've recently had a but of a new found love for one of my older collections, my Imperial Fists, over the last year or two i've really struggled to motivate myself to continue with this project, I think one of the problems is every two or three years I find myself becoming unhappy and jaded with the miniatures i've already painted, and whilst i've had some of these feelings i'm simply ignoring that problem till it goes away, another major impending factor is that the Burning of Prospero box came out.

I've always loved the idea of how The Imperium wages war, not only Space Marines going to war but Guard units alongside them, Sisters Of Battle, even the forces of the Mechanicum.  So expect to see some of my Inqusition models here too, and i'll be painting the other models from the Prospero box, in fact i've already just about finished the Sisters Of Silence from the box set, I just need to do the gems, eyes and bases, the Custodians will hopefully not be too far behind, I've always loved the Legio Custodes and long strived to convert models I was happy with, but I never managed anything as cool as the miniatures that have been released, the temptation to grab another 3 or 4 Prospero boxes and do an army of just Custodes is unreal.

For the moment I need a bit of a break from my Black Legion and i'm gearing up for an Apocalypse game in March, so i'll undoubtedly be taking one of these two armies as I already have the most miniatures, my Necrons are all ready to go but that would feel like cheating.

To start with I thought i'd try and motivate myself and get the ball rolling with some of my existing miniatures, as I said i'm not entirely happy with some of these now, but i'm going to keep a hold of them and soldier on, forcing myself to paint two or three new Tactical Squads every few years just isn't working.  I'll be starting by working through all the half painted miniatures I already have and painting the miniatures from Burning of Prospero, i'm going to take a different approach to normal and borrow my friends airbrush to get the yellow basecoats on, just for the sake of ease.

Anyway, rambling aside, have some toy soldiers.

Firstly a Tactical Squad, the foundation of any Space Marine army, led by one of my favorite miniatures ever, an old metal veteran sergeant, I hope this guy makes a comeback with the made to order range.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/imperial%20fists/20161101_123033_zpscuxue2pm.jpg

And a bit of a close up on the sergeant, the marine with him was the first model I painted for the army when I changed my colour scheme.  I think i'll go back to this squad shortly and give them some squad markings, and turn the sergeant in to a veteran sergeant.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/imperial%20fists/20161101_123123_zps41qb2rrn.jpg

And what army could function without a leader, so here's my Terminator Librarian, converted from the Blood Angels Librarian, with a few Grey Knight bits, he needs a bit of tidying up perhaps, but to be honest I might just paint a new one and use it as an excuse to have a Librarius Conclave, after all, more toy soldiers is always fun.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/imperial%20fists/20161101_122831_zpslrhzdjl0.jpg

That's all for now, but i'll hopefully be back soon with a few more existing miniatures and maybe even some new models, expect some Sisters Of Silence and i'm hoping to finish Captain Lysander soon too.

Thank you all.

Love that yellow. Care to share the recipe? 

Thank you kindly, the yellow is;

Basecoat: Averland Sunset

Shade: Agrax Earthshade

Layer: Averland Sunset

Layer: 50/50 Averland Sunset/Yriel Yellow

Edge Highlight: Dorn Yellow

I see you didn't drill the sergeant's metal bolt pistol... Can't blame you haha.

Lovely models.

Thanks man, I actually lost the metal one ages ago, it's a plastic arm, truth is i'm just lazy/forgot :P

And for today, have some toy soldiers;

Here's my Contemptor Dreadnought, I was really happy when the plastic Contemptor came out, I bought a resin one years ago but it's been in my drawer for ages after I threw a huff with it, this one was a vastly less stressful experience, I am planning to go back to this one at some point soon, I think it turned out really well but i've subsequently grabbed a Forge World Imperial Fist transfer sheet, so i'm going to go back and add some details to it. The colour scheme is based on the artwork from the Horus Heresy books from Forge World, borrowed one from a friend, think i'll have to grab them myself.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/imperial%20fists/20161101_123617_zps1gwis8q9.jpg

The newest addition to my collection are the Sisters Of Silence from Burning of Prospero, i've had these nigh on finished for days but i've been ill so it's taken time to get them done, really happy with these, there's a few things i'd have done different and I made go back and tidy up a few bits of the models, but for the most part i'm pretty happy with them.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Imperium/Sisters%20Of%20Silence_zpsebislbgh.jpg

That's all the toy soldiers for today, i'll be back at work today so i'll not be in till late, but i'm going to try and work on Lysander over the next day or two, I wanna try and get some of the half finished models of my paint station, this ones a conversion I did a few years ago now, counted them up and it turns out I actually own about 12 Lysander models, I figure at least one should be finished!

Your painting is so clean man, excellent work as ever!

Thank you kindly, clean is all I have, although I do find I make a right mess of things a lot of the time as well.

Todays update is actually a brand new miniature, ok sort of, brand new in that i've literally just stuck the tuft on his base 20 minutes ago, sort of as in I actually started him in 2014 when Strike Force Ultra came out, so he's been work in progress for a while, but HUZZAH!!!  He's done now.

At times this model has been a labour of love, and hate, and strong language.  Ever since I first saw this miniature I realised he'd make an awesome Lysander, not that there's anything wrong with the Lysander model, believe me, I have many of them, apparently about a dozen or so actually.  However I decided i'd like to push the boat out for the venerable captain of the first.

As I said this model has been on and off my paint station a lot, building him was fairly simple, although there's a few things i'd change, don't stick the shield on to paint him, rookie mistake!  Painting him was infuriating at times, I think the shield (common point of my frustrations) was redone at least 4 times in different colours.

So, without further rambling, here is Darnath Lysander, First Captain of the Imperial Fists;

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/imperial%20fists/IMG_20161105_092928_zpsgba8zwbe.jpg

Amazing.

Thanks

Work continues apace on new units, I've always seen my Imperial armies as one big army, that's why I like to keep my basing the same across all my miniatures, it's something i'm really enjoying about the Burning Of Prospero box is the mix of different units within the box.

One of the things that always seems to take time with painting my Imperial Fists is basecoating, especially when it comes to vehicles, so i'm contemplating buying an airbrush this week, I've found one that seems suitable so I think i'll grab that this week, then tackle all of my MK3 marines at once.

This evening I thought i'd share my Thunderfire Cannon, this is one of my favourite units in the space marine codex, it's loads of fun to use in games, and it just looks awesome, I've got another two to build, one day I might even field all three as a squad together, who doesn't love blast templates.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/imperial%20fists/20161101_123712_zpswmex6e1o.jpg

And here's a little work in progress, the first of my Legio Custodes, I've tried to convert my own Custodes miniatures before, but I could never have accomplished anything as awesome as the actual miniatures, this one has been a joy to paint so far, gonna try and finish the first one tomorrow and then get the squad done over the course of the week, just got the highlights, gems and spear blade to go on this guy.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Imperium/IMG_20161107_231822_zpsd4awwpcm.jpg

Oh boy... Ill be watchin this. Yellow marines sure are the sexiest marines (eeep sorry Guilliman) ...not entirely sure I'd have gone kitbashy for Lysander (your work on him "works" for sure... But as an old-timey chaotic kitbasher I've learned that anything that looks slightly "tacked on" or "phoned in" immediately pulls the eye and has a way of detracting from the model (ie chest chain and loin-plate) 'tis no biggie, model looks boss. Really looking forward to your full blown "armies of the imperium" spin on the Fists. Cool stuff man!

Thanks Guys

Love that silver faceplate on the custodes. It's actually the only thing I like from him, I just don't care for the Emperor's bling bling kings. tongue.png

Like the thunderfire cannon and its gunner.

Cheers dude, they've always been one of my favorite pieces of 40k background, I practically backflipped when I saw they where getting models.

Oh boy... Ill be watchin this. Yellow marines sure are the sexiest marines (eeep sorry Guilliman) ...not entirely sure I'd have gone kitbashy for Lysander (your work on him "works" for sure... But as an old-timey chaotic kitbasher I've learned that anything that looks slightly "tacked on" or "phoned in" immediately pulls the eye and has a way of detracting from the model (ie chest chain and loin-plate) 'tis no biggie, model looks boss. Really looking forward to your full blown "armies of the imperium" spin on the Fists. Cool stuff man!

I know what you mean, there's a few bits that aren't quite seamless, I've used the original model in all my previous Imperial Fist armies though, he certainly gave me a challenge though, there's a few bits of the model i'm still not sure about so I may even go back and do a new one later.

• 1 month later...

Thank's Asamodai

Well, it certainly seems i've been slacking off over the Christmas period, the long hours of retail always seem to wear me down and encroach upon my hobby, that and i'm lazy...

Around rolled the new year and I was looking at the Imperial Fists i'd already not painted, and planning how I could add an Ultramarine contingent to the army, when WarhammerTV came in like a wrecking ball and told me the Black Templars, my first love, the army which started this over enthusiastic 9 year old on his hobby journey so long ago, would be launching a Saint Celestine led crusade in the Eye Of Terror!!!

Needless to say my hobby has been somewhat jump started over the last few weeks, i've built about 1,000 points worth of Black Templars, and I may have made a few extra purchases to go with it, in fact i'm sure there's about 10,000 points of Space Marines in my spare room that need building, and the best part is i've got the upgrade kits to turn them all in to Black Templars, HUZZAH!!!  I've also ordered myself the Fall Of Cadia book and the Triumvirate Of The Imperium, it's only a matter of time before I grab myself some Sisters Of Battle and Astra Militarum to join the army, and it would be rude not to but a retinue for Belisarius Cawl, how do these things even happen...

Anyway, rambling aside, here are the first of my new Crusader Marines;

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Black%20Templars/IMG_20170108_121251_zpsq8ikv0xc.jpg

I've got a Neophyte test model who needs basing at the moment, hopefully i'll be able to show off him and the rest of the squad later.

Lovely templar squad, only thing that pokes into my eye is leaders belt. Seems to be same colour as tabard, not relaly a mistake but would look nice in brown or black, no?

Cheers bud, hadn't really thought about it up until now, might play around with some colours on the next lot.

Little bit of progress for the afternoon, the first of the neophytes is finished and the other 4 are in the process of being basecoated.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Black%20Templars/IMG_20170108_190806_zpschwxf7q7.jpg

Although having now seen the photo, I can say the photograph is really ungorgiving on his face, I hope his mother loves him!  But seriously it looks a lot nicer in real life, hopefully the rest of them will be more photogenic.

I've been hitting the hobby hard over the last couple of days, i've finished 4 more neophytes for my first crusader squad, and now i've made good progress on the sword brother, hopefully i'll have him finished tomorrow, for now though here's the neophytes and the crusader squad as it stands for the moment.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Black%20Templars/IMG_20170112_103623_zpsmrgh6i3h.jpg

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Black%20Templars/IMG_20170112_155518_zps7i78hjff.jpg

I'm a lot happier with these neophytes, they weren't quite as neat, part and parcel of batch painting I suppose, but the faces have much softer transitions, I relayered the Bugmans Glow this time after the faces where shaded, this meant there was a more gradual change in the colour.

Thanks Guys

Good, clean stuff so far. Like the yellow on your Fists in particular. Many you see seem to struggle with getting the balance between shade, mid-tone and highlight right and you've nailed it.

Thanks, i've actually just recently changed the highlight colour to make it a bit more subtle, I was originally using Dorn Yellow but recently i've decided it looks a bit garish and i've subbed it for Ushabti Bone.

I've finished the Sword Brother for my Crusader Squad, for the most part i'm pretty happy with him but I feel his face hasn't turned out as well as the neophytes, definitely seems to be a bit of a hit and miss area for me at the moment, might have to try and get some practice in there.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Black%20Templars/IMG_20170114_085700_zpsxvgdtmbt.jpg

I've been building my Triumvirate Of The Imperium box tonight, I'm going to make a start on painting Inquisitor Greyfax tomorrow, I'm hoping to make a start on Celestine this week but I want the Geminae Superia built so I can paint them as a unit, and i'll do Belasarius Cawl last night.  I've also started basecoating the last 4 members of the Crusader Squad tonight.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170115_221941_zpsnt3zrhe4.jpg

I've had time for a good look through the Fall Of Cadia book now and i'm going to spend the next few weeks painting the Crusade Of Wrath formation so i've ordered a Militarum Tempestus start collecting box too.

Dear gawd your mastery of yellow is inspired. Well done.

Thanks Bloodbath, I had some great teachers but I still have a lot to learn.

I've now sat and worked out what i'm planning to build and paint for the army and hoping to have it all finished in the next 4-6 weeks, then I can look at what else i'm planning to add.

My 1,500 points planned is;

-Saint Celestine

-Inquisitor Greyfax

-Space Marine Captain-Aftificer Armour, Blade Of The Worthy, Jump Pack

-Crusader Squad-10 Initiates, 5 Neophytes, Meltagun, Sword Brother, Power Fist

-Crusader Squad-10 Initiates, Grav Gun, Missile Launcher, Sword Brother

-Assault Squad-10 Marines, Veteran Sergeant, 2 flamers, Jump Packs

-Militarum Tempestus Command Squad-Vox Caster, Platoon Standard, Medi Pack

-Militarum Tempestus Scions-Vox Caster, 2 Hot Shot Volley Guns, Vox Caster

-Taurox Prime

-Taurox

I've only realised whilst typing this out I need to find 5 points somewhere to pay for the Vox Caster in the Scion squad, i'm also debating dropping down the size of the second Crusader Squad and giving them a Razorback with Lascannons to help deal with tanks, as currently I only have a Missile Launcher, Autocannons on the Taurox, then it's all power fists, melta bombs and Saint Celestine.

So far this week i've basecoated a few Crusader Marines to finish off the first squad and i've finished painting Inquisitor Greyfax.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Inquisition/IMG_20170119_091236_zpslk4l48zw.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It seems there's a small army forming in my cabinet, the wrathful crusade is almost ready for its first small outings on to the battlefield.

I've now finished painting the first Crusader Squad, although there crying out for a Land Raider Crusader, and i've finished a Taurox for Inquisitor Greyfax and her retinue, now I just need to paint the retinue.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Black%20Templars/IMG_20170127_210434_zpsmu9qc4ht.jpg

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/Dorn_Lysander/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170127_210622_zpsk3yrewez.jpg

The Taurox was really fun to paint and quite eye opening, I've used a lot more drybrushing than I generally would, i've also drybrushed a bit of muck on to the tracks and sponged on some chipping, not normally techniques I would use but I think it turned out pretty cool and only took a few hours to get finished.

Archived