Iron Warriors Librarius?

lokkorex

Heyo, i'm wondering about the iron warriors view on the librarius.

since perturabo was friends with magnus, it seemed reasonable, especially due to his appetite for knowledge and his intelligence.

on the other hand, i expect that perturabo would have disbanded the librarius immediately after the edict of nikaea, due to his unquestioning obedience to his superior, which eventually led him to horus.

but when the heresy begun, would he have reinstated it? would he instead depend on his legion and equipment?

his search for the chaos artefact on tallarn makes me think he's more than willing to use the arcane, but as far as i know we have never seen a librarian of the fourth legion so far.

8The Warsmith doesn't count, since his powers came later, and were gifted alongside his daemonification from the chaos gods, afaik)

It is entirely likely he disbanded the Librarius (if there was one) within the IVth as soon as the edict was given.

The problem we have is, we don't as of this moment know his view on Psykers, he was on a talking level with Magnus, although its not stated too well how close they were other than spending a small amount of time on Terra when Perturabo was first found so that does not have too much base on whether it would effect his view on them and whether he would bring them back into the Legion whilst "in power"

As I see it, the Arcane is not really a valid tool to be used, if it was massively knocked on the head by the Emperor, so there would be a lot of negativity to be reflected upon if the option to use a psyker was presented. In the fields of combat that the IVth tread, its bound to be 1000x better to have something reliable like an autocannon over something that has a chance to burst into lightning and kill a section of a trench or wall. 

We don't actually know fully how Perturabo came to know or even if he knew what the artefact on Tallarn was. So its possible he thought it was just a traditional weapon, rather than something like the Daemon-mess that was on there.

I tend to look at the IVth somewhat similar to Pre Heresy Death Guard. Focusing more on the strength of mind and body, tools and discipline over "witchery". They are as we see, a physical legion so to speak, like the Iron Hands, World Eaters, Death Guard and the Fists. So relying on something other your own strength of arm or something you can control by your hands would be looked down upon as I see it.

It is entirely likely he disbanded the Librarius (if there was one) within the IVth as soon as the edict was given.

The problem we have is, we don't as of this moment know his view on Psykers, he was on a talking level with Magnus, although its not stated too well how close they were other than spending a small amount of time on Terra when Perturabo was first found so that does not have too much base on whether it would effect his view on them and whether he would bring them back into the Legion whilst "in power"

As I see it, the Arcane is not really a valid tool to be used, if it was massively knocked on the head by the Emperor, so there would be a lot of negativity to be reflected upon if the option to use a psyker was presented. In the fields of combat that the IVth tread, its bound to be 1000x better to have something reliable like an autocannon over something that has a chance to burst into lightning and kill a section of a trench or wall. 

We don't actually know fully how Perturabo came to know or even if he knew what the artefact on Tallarn was. So its possible he thought it was just a traditional weapon, rather than something like the Daemon-mess that was on there.

I tend to look at the IVth somewhat similar to Pre Heresy Death Guard. Focusing more on the strength of mind and body, tools and discipline over "witchery". They are as we see, a physical legion so to speak, like the Iron Hands, World Eaters, Death Guard and the Fists. So relying on something other your own strength of arm or something you can control by your hands would be looked down upon as I see it.

I believe it was explicitly stated in Angel Exterminatus that Perturabo was Magnus' closest friend and vice versa, or something along those lines.

Though I do share a similar stance regarding Iron Warriors doctrine, though I think they'd be fine with Librarians, thinking them as another potentially useful tool. If one's mind is a potent weapon, why not weaponize it in the literal sense as well?

Really, it all depends on your own guy's fluff and such, and that's where it matters.

I view Perturabo and the Iron Warriors as pragmatic enough to utilise all resources at their disposable, including psykers. I believe he would have followed the Edict of Nikea until the Heresy broke out and then reinstated them so as to make use of their unique talents.

I wish we knew more about perturabos relationship with other primarchs, hopefully the primarchs series book on magnus will shed some light on the relationship between magnus and perturabo, but i wouldn't mind knowing how mortarion or angron(neither very fond of psykers) got on with the lord of iron, since their legions would no doubt get along due to similar combat doctrines.

One thing though, perturabos paranoia.

Soon as he found out a strong enough psyker could look inside his head, he would propably keep as many of them as possible, even his own legionnaries, at arms length since he trusted automata more than them.

I wish we knew more about perturabos relationship with other primarchs, hopefully the primarchs series book on magnus will shed some light on the relationship between magnus and perturabo, but i wouldn't mind knowing how mortarion or angron(neither very fond of psykers) got on with the lord of iron, since their legions would no doubt get along due to similar combat doctrines.

One thing though, perturabos paranoia.

Soon as he found out a strong enough psyker could look inside his head, he would propably keep as many of them as possible, even his own legionnaries, at arms length since he trusted automata more than them.

Are we sure about psykers short of Magnus or Malcador-level power being able to 'read' the minds of Primarchs? (in a loosely comparable instance - Atharva attempting to read Babu Dhakal in Outcast Dead - it's shown just how hard it is to penetrate the psych-architecture defences that are *built in* to the Emperor's higher-end creations)

Playing on the paranoia angle, one could also argue that the lack of easily available psychic defence in the form of a Librarius would *also* be a source of potential insecurity for Perturabo. 

This bit in Angel Exterminatus (Chapter 5) makes me think he was both pro-Magnus and pro-Psyker - certainly he was contemptuous of the Council of Nikaea, if not its outcome:
"The Nikaean structure, thankfully now eradicated from existence, still caused him great shame. It had never been intended as a place of trial and censure, but an arena for mighty games of strength and skill. The use the Emperor had made of his creation shamed Perturabo, and Magnus deserved better than to be made sport for the baying crowds whose closed minds had already placed the noose around his neck."

There is, in Angel Exterminatus, a Warsmith who is supposedly so skilled it is as if the very ground speaks to him. And indeed, he himself seems to find that the ground does just that. While that isn't quite Geokinesis, it certainly points towards a possibility of psykers, thought they might not actually carry the title of Librarian or be part of an actual, organised, Librarius.

My suspicion would be that they would have something like a librarius, but it would be just another tool in Perturabo's war machine of a legion. Without the priominence it has in the Thousand Sons doctrine, or the cultural influence of the Scars or Wolves. Perturabo and Magnus do seem to have been personally close, sharing similar interests and a love of knowledge. I'm not sure how well that would translate to the their legions though.

As for Angron and Perturabo, After Deshea mentions that the Warhounds and Iron Warriors got on pretty well. Khârn seems to admire Perturabo and his legion a fair bit. On the table top their battle-brothers as well. I have a small ally force of Khârn and buddies that I run with my IW occasionally.

Archived