Brotherhood of the Endless Steppe [Scimitar Squadron p.#111]

ShVagYeR

Happy New Year!

Here's the nuncio vox operator. Only one infantry model left to be done for now and then switching to a vehicle. :)

10_tactical_a_09.jpg

10_tactical_a_09_shield.jpg

Replies:

helterskelter - Thanks, hope you like the new one too. ;)

Brother Pheidias - I managed to find some other shield and copied it on the model above. Swastika is a lengthy subject, in any case the Nazis basically ruined it for everyone.

10 and done!

11_tactical_a_10.jpg

Tactical Squad Ganbaatar

12_tactical_a_allten1.jpg

13_tactical_a_allten2.jpg

Also assembled the Rhino, sorry for the pic taken with a potato...

rhinowip.jpg

Replies:

Brother Pheidias - Thanks! It's true what you're saying. Even some Polish army units in 1939 had the swastika in their badges, although it was pointing the opposite way to the German one.

helterskelter - The right brush does 75% of the work. But thanks. :smile.:

One-eye - Thank you!

b1soul - True, it does bear some resemblance to Middle East designs. I think the cross between Mongol and Middle Eastern was the Tatar culture?

Edited by ShVagYeR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It took a while due to various distractions (one of them being black power armour with Maltese cross on the pauldrons...) I finally got around to painting the Rhino. I may have gone overboard with the weathering, but I really wanted to cover up the sloppiness of all those white areas... Plus it's the first time I tried two new techniques: sponge painting and a subtle OSL done with a red glaze. There's all kinds of things that I should fix on this model, but in general I'm pretty satisfied with it and want to move on to other stuff.

14_rhino1.jpg

15_rhino2.jpg

And a group shot with the Tactical Squad it is assigned to:

16_groupshot.jpg

Traditional potato pic shows the next model in the pipeline:

firstbikewip.jpg

Not much fancy stuff, just replaced the resin pauldrons, the helmet and bolt pistol holster with plastic ones from Calth and added a plume. Weapons are magnetized. I was thinking about adding a tulwar and a shield, but I ultimately decided against it.

Replies:

Ironwithout - Thanks! Hope you drop by often.

One-eye - Thank you. Yours are the best White Scars I've seen so coming from you this is very high praise.

geektom - Thanks for the follow! I'll do my best to keep adding decent stuff.

b1soul - More is always on the way as long as there is motivation. :)

I managed to prime the jetbike and apply leadbelcher, but it looks like it'll have to wait because my employer is sending me to Dublin for a week on Sunday. :( It's frustrating when you are motivated to paint but have to do something else.

Legio Draconis - Thanks!

Brother Pheidias - Somehow I thought you wouldn't mind the extra weathering, BP. :D As for the Mk IV helmet, I find the resin one to be too... slim? Narrow? It's kind of out of proportion with the picture I have in mind when I think Maximus armour. And yes, consistency across the army is a factor as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

After a very long break it's time to revive this thread. As part of my 2018 campaign to reduce the size of the pile of shame I got back to the White Scars army. On a side note, I haven't bought a single model since 6 Dec 2017. :smile.:

So first of all I went back to the first Legion Tactical Squad and added some sponge weathering with Rhinox Hide, and then took some better pictures.

Legion Tactical Squad ᠠ (A)

As mentioned above, this was the first squad I painted back in late 2016/early 2017.

01tacsquad_a_00.jpg

They're all Mark IV Calth marines of course, with some bits thrown in for diversity.

Models:

01tacsquad_a_05.jpg

The sergeant has the biggest topknot and a FW helmet, which is a theme in all units. Other than that nothing fancy, a bent tulwar-like ccw, magnetized arms.

01tacsquad_a_01.jpg

Just a stock Mark IV marine with a topknot.

01tacsquad_a_02.jpg

No breakthroughs here either.

01tacsquad_a_03.jpg

This one has a Mark II helmet which works really well if you paint the faceplate gold (just like Mark III).

01tacsquad_a_04.jpg

This one's helmet comes from a 40k Blood Angel box I believe, hence the slightly different snout.

01tacsquad_a_06.jpg

Again nothing special, the topknot is some old bit from WFB I think.

01tacsquad_a_07.jpg

The Vexilliarius has a slightly stronger Mongol theme: the fur-lined helmet with a spike and a an ornate shield on the power pack (which has no gaming value whatsover, tacticals can't take combat shields anyway).

01tacsquad_a_08.jpg

Gave this one some more stuff around the belt like pouches, grenades, and a coin/medallion on a rope which turned out just fine because one of the FW WS torsos has the same thing too. :)

01tacsquad_a_09.jpg

The Nuncio-vox operator also has a Mongol shield and some fur around the helmet to keep his head warm in void combat. All in all, when I think White Scars, for me it's mostly about Mongols in space, not so much Chinese or Japanese.

01tacsquad_a_10.jpg

And the last guy.

Over the next few days I'm going to post the other units I managed to finish back in early 2017 or just now, to keep this thread in line format-wise with my Ultramarines thread. Hope you like and visit often. :)

Legion Tactical Support Squad ᠡ (E)

This unit was painted less than a month ago, the first after a long break from this army.

02tacsup_e_00.jpg

Again Mark IV from Calth all the way. Models:

02tacsup_e_01.jpg

Mark III helmet looks badass.

02tacsup_e_02.jpg

I may have overdone it with the sponge but still acceptable I guess.

02tacsup_e_03.jpg

No surprises here...

02tacsup_e_04.jpg

Nor here...

02tacsup_e_05.jpg

And the Sergeant with a FW WS helmet and biggest plume, of course.