Brotherhood of the Endless Steppe [Scimitar Squadron p.#111]

ShVagYeR

Loving the MKii action! I really hope they give WS some unique units in this armour! I'm still gutted about it being discontinued - just glad I've got enough for a couple of squads!

You wouldn't think these minis were salvage! Infact it kind of gives them a hard bitten veteran vibe! Don't stress about the legality of the glaives, rule of cool all the way!

Looking forward to these jetbikes and army shot!

Legion Rhino ᠢ (I)

Not much of an update, the 2nd tactical squad got their dedicated transport.

08tacsquad_e_rhino1.jpg

08tacsquad_e_rhino2.jpg

Replies:

Son of Carnelian - Thank you!

Super robot gangster #1 - I don't mind at all, the recipe is almost the same as the one suggested by GW in all their painting guides in recent years. The only difference is, I use Nuln Oil instead of Agrax Earthshade.

1. Prime with Corax White spray (this is a life saver)

2. Wash recesses with Nuln Oil

3. Clean up any imperfections with Ulthuan Grey (matches the undercoat almost perfectly)

4. Edge highlight with White Scar

5. (optional) Apply Rhinox Hide weathering with a small sponge

Lord Commander Eidolon - Yeah I'm still very confused with FW's policy. Not sure what they're trying achieve, not believing their copy-paste cover stories for a second. Oh well, not much that I can do other than sit and wait. All's good as long as fun is being had from painting and playing the game, right? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you b1soul and Brother Lunkhead. :biggrin.:

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad ‍ᠣ (O)

01vetsquad_o_00.jpg

Models:

01vetsquad_o_04.jpg

I went for a different helmet this time, giving him a Roman-style crested one to indicate his status as a veteran and most likely a Terran. Other than that there's Sternguard legs (the same as used on my Praetor, just painted differently), the FW WS chest, the combi-flamer from BaC, and the curved blade from Chaos Berzerkers, in this case sculpted to be just the blade as opposed to a scabbarded one.

01vetsquad_o_01.jpg

Just a BaC marine plus the scabbard.

01vetsquad_o_02.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the Rogue Trader-style missile launcher, but I really needed a heavy weapon dude. Again just regular BaC bits here.

01vetsquad_o_03.jpg

When running out of bits, interesting combinations are created. Here's a mostly Mk4 dude with a Mk3 helmet and Mk2 legs. Technically that's Mk5, right? ;)

01vetsquad_o_05.jpg

And the last one is a purely FW Mk4 marine. When compared to a BaC one, you can tell their proportions are really different. Thanks to the uniform paintjob he doesn't look out of place though.

Legion Reconnaissance Squad ᠢ‍ (U)

11recsquad_u_00.jpg

Models:

11recsquad_u_01.jpg

This model and the next two actually used to be Alpha Legion a few years ago. The old thread is still there. Basically they're tallscale (as opposed to truescale), converted using Veteran Sergeant's recipe.

11recsquad_u_02.jpg

You just add a piece of plasticard (or in my case an old bank card) to lengthen the legs (two pieces per leg) and another piece in the torso. That way the proportions become much more realistic and the model is almost as tall as a Primaris.

11recsquad_u_03.jpg

These dudes are all Mark VI, using 40k bolters. I justify that by saying that they are from the siege of Terra period.

11recsquad_u_04.jpg

Removing the aquila from the bolter does make it work though, doesn't it?

11recsquad_u_05.jpg

The sergeant has a topknot of course.

Next up: a Sky Hunter Jetbike squad in late September/early October. Until then I'm focusing on AoS/Shadespire models and probably some Kill Teams for the new skirmish game. I've also managed to finish 6 buildings from the old Cities of Death line (Imperial Sector and an extra Basilica Administratum). I'm sad to see those become OOP, but also happy about the new ones, they look really well.

Replies:

Charlo - Thanks! I'm always kinda afraid of overdoing the sponge weathering, but so far I guess I've managed not to apply too much.

Son of Carnelian - Thank you! I don't mix them nearly as much as I could, mainly due to the fact that in some cases armor mark is the thing that differentiates my units; for example I have a Mk4 tactical squad and another one that is purely Mk3. However in the case of veterans it is very appropriate to mix and match.

Sponge is just fine my man, I think it's always tough with that sort of thing because you see the model before and after and it's hard to not feel like you've ruined it!

LOVE the MkVI, very well done. Where are the card inserts on the legs?

Shaving the Aquilla from the bolters is genius....

• 6 months later...

Legion Sky Hunter Squadron ‍ᠩ‍ (Ang)

01jetbike_ang_00.png

Models:

01jetbike_ang_01.jpg

01jetbike_ang_02.jpg

01jetbike_ang_03.jpg

01jetbike_ang_04.jpg

01jetbike_ang_05.png

01jetbike_ang_06.png

I had finished this unit back in October 2018, but only recently managed to take some pictures.

In 2019 I'm going to add a Cataphractii squad as well as a Cataphractii captain to this army.

@Charlo: sorry for the late reply. They're in the middle of the calf.

@b1soul: thank you.

• 2 years later...

Hey there - I just found this thread while searching for some White Scars references.  I read through the entire thread and I must say that you have bulit an exceptional army here - really amazing work!  Probably the best Scars army that I have seen for 30K.  :thumbsup: