Malchy's WIP thread : Kohuru head hunter squad (up 12/10)

malcharion

Hi everyone ! Thanks a lot for the feedbacks and comments :D !

@Hushrong: Thanks ! I tryed something with the base that is kind of close to this, hope you'll like :)

@Augustus: Cheers mate ! Thanks for the advise on the spear. The big guy look less silly now thanks to you :)

As for the backshot I took the time to take one with my phone camera sorry for the poor quality of it :/

GmxVK.jpg

I'll take better one after making some progress on the back of the model ;)

@Kraut : Haha don't worry I didn't get you wrong the first time ;). But even if I get you when you said that mixing both technics defeat the purpose of the Nmm, I think it is not just that. The use of NMM bring a fantastic/comics style to a model. Here I wanted to get this comics vibe without loosing too mutch of the realistic. That's why I think that in some way the two technics could act as complementary instead of against each other if you see what I mean :). Anyway glade that the result of the experiment still look good to you mate ! (Haha This old marauder with earings was sooo apealling I had to use it ^^)

For the bases I totaly get you ;) I was looking for this :

PRQdb.jpg

And after buying some suplies and give it a try I ended with that :

RPj2A.jpg

RPj2A.jpg

72o1p.jpg

AGqGp.jpg

I never was a huge fan of the big trims bases. But I was thinking that adding some african simple disgn in red or a sand yellow all the way around it could be good as a finale touche ?

What do you think ?

Thanks again for watching !

Malchy

I’m loving the Tourquise on these new guys. I think you got the basing spot on for him. I was thinking of a sort of coming out of the jungle onto the beach look myself, to compliment the Tourquise. The Savannah is an even better idea though. Really goes with the colours on the model. The orange in the ground goes do well with the orange spot colours on the eyes and shield. You’ve also managed to avoid too much green from a full on jungle. Very original work again!

Less and less white faces in the white faces thread, tihi...:teehee:

Like this new thing from you, maybe except for the Ogryn a bit. Just don´t like the clawed feet of the Rat-Ogre so much on a 40k-Ogryn. Bit of a pseudo-biology fluff-nazi here, I guess.

Well, apart from that, interestingly ecclective use of parts, nice painting etc. I think I like the mechanic guy with the giant skull best, mainly because of the "tribal painting" on said skull. Bases are also nice, quite convincing savanah-environment.

P.S.:

Sorry, couldn´t help myself to really read the fluff as for now. :biggrin.:

Greetings, L.Velype/ Kyknos

What did you use for the wiring come out of Samba's back? I have a warpsmith that will need some wiring/cabling and what you used look good.

The bases also look great and it goes hand in hand with these guys. As for the large trim base, do you mean to glue sand on the other edges all around? I personally like it the way you have as it leave room pick up the minis without having to touch said mini or anything on the base. Plus, if you put sand all around it would look like he is standing on a mound of sand. *let me know if I am way off on this.

The basea are looking fantastic! Perosnally speaking, I'd focus on the shorter grass over the super long version, as very long grass can quickly end up looking a bit silly on bases. But the recipe you have there looks very cool!

As for base rims, I am a bit of a purist in that I think they should usually be kept mono-colour unless gaming reasons absolutely demand otherwise (Blood Bowl, for example): The base rim serves as a kind of visual boundary to me, that makes the eye transition from the table top to the little "slice of life" represented by the actual model, which is why I like to keep them clean and not actually add designs to them -- just my two cents, though ;)

Excellent stuff as always!

Got an African Lost Legion by myself and I'm glad to see a different take on African stuff.

Loved your Knight and I'm curious to see more. :O

Hi everybody ! :) Thanks for the replies !

@Kraken : Thanks a lot dude ! Glade you like the bases ^^ I'm a tourquise lover ^^ It's hard not to use this color in every model I paint ^^

@Kyknos : Hey budy ! Thanks a lot : ) Yeah I know i'm looking for a new name for my thread haha if you have a suggestion I'm all hears. As for the Cayorian Ogryn I liked the idea of a kind of Ogryn that evolve to better fit their environement but I understand that it's a personal touch not everybody will like.

@Hushrong : Thanks man ! The bitz in the back of Samba is from the skaven Stormfiend sprue (it's part of the rat-bain monstruosity backpack you can make with this kit)

For the base trim finaly I get use to it haha ! I think I was so used to the games workshop base that those seems weird at first ^^.

@Kraut : Cheers mate ! Thanks for the advise :) I get you with the long grass and I used them as you suggest for Samba ;). For the trime as I said to Hushrong I'll let them as they are, I finaly get used to it ^^.

@Kelborn : Thanks brother ! I saw your predators a while back and they look sooo awesome ! Love the black and white tribal paint scheme and you make me strugle a lot with my House symbol haha ! Yours is so great it was dificult to come out with something else after seeing it ^^.

Really happy that you like my work so far !

@the Emperor is scottish : Haha ! Thanks. . I gess ^^

Let's go for the rest of it ...

First of some background ;)

The Raven's salvation :

That was there, when all seems lost, that the new formed Raven Guard led by Corax himself, after liberating Indra-sul from the Khrave slavery, came to Cayor.

The Raven lord rapidly made contact with the local resistance on the ground and was able to coordinate devastatating counter attacks. Repeating the Indra-sul surgical assault on key targets. mixing Terran terminator assault, sabotage and the Knights of House Joolan hit and run tactics to push back and finaly exterminate the Khraves.

Cayor join the imperium and the house Joolan swear loyalty to there saviors.

The sol prescence of the Khraves induce with time a physical and mental coruption..

A lot of world saved from there depredation saw there entire population purged. Juged too corupted to live in the imperium. It was the case for Indra-sul.

In a surprising manner the Cayorian shown no sign of coruption as it it always the case with Khraves exposition.

A lot of magos biology failed to shed light on this phenomena over the following years after the Knight world reunion with the imperium.

In the following time the house Joolan was officialy integrated among the other knight house. Despite the conflict created by the Cayorian beliefs with the imperial truth and the other knight houses that saw them as wild barbarians, the house Joolan took an active part in the end of the Great Crusade.

Waging war along with different légions as the Raven Guard, White Scars, Night Lords, Space Wolves and World Eaters.

The house renowned grew and despite a reputation of taciturn and secret warriors the Joolan knights won many honors on the battlefields.

If the Cayorian were inexplicably immune to the Khrave coruption, the powerfull psychic mark leaved by the sheer presence of the xenos during the year of wars induced resurgence of psychic activity within the population.

A lot of children born in the generation following the end of the Khrave war where .. diferents. . They shared a kind of psychic bound, a colective concience. It turn out that this link allow a particular relation with the machine spirit of the Knight surpassing those of their peers.

For the Cayorian, this link was "Atemit" the soul of all things talking to them, guiding them after the trial of the Khraves wars. A signe that they were on the right path and that The empereur was  a manifestations of his might.

Over time this colective conscience took a central part in the culture of Cayor and in the House Joolan organisation and tribal Hierarchy. The house start to use exclusively those child born with the gift as pilote.

In combat this give the scion of the house Joolan a coordination capacity rarely seen, the havy war machines mouving like one.

However in order to avoid a worsening of the conflict with the imperial truth this particularity was kept secret and incrase the isolationism and shroud of mistery that surrounds the House Joolan.

Stay tuned...

And now here is the finished Samba N"Diaye, Hight Grios.

d8deO.jpg

NXJxY.jpg

4PY1j.jpg

op3Kn.jpg

8kDo2.jpg

Zekb3.jpg

And the next things incoming :

vRdV7.jpg

72Don.jpg

Here we are ! I save the Cayorian Ogryn for the dessert ;)

Hope you'll like it ! Thanks for watching : )

72Don.jpg

Is that a Custodes guardian spear? Why does he bear a weapon crafted for the Emperor's own bodyguards, and gene-coded for their exclusive use (barring psyker and Daemon shenanigans, as demonstrated in 'Prospero Burns')?

Because he is not ;)

It's not a guardian spear but a kind of Power Weapon capable of firering energy beam from the blade. .

A relic of the Dark Age of Technology.

Sadely it don't go choom but it's not a bad weapon to possesse ^^. Here I was painting it this afternoon :

rpGNe.jpg

13ype.jpg

QQJE0.jpg

lak9A.jpg

Malchy

Hi everybody !

while working on The pilot, I was looking for a symbol for the House Joolan so I start drawing something ..

vR80D.jpg

Has a reference to the felin masque I use on the knight I wanted a symbol based on a sabertooth skull.

What do you think ? In black over a turquoise base ?

Thanks for watching ;)

Malchy

@Bjorn : I see what you mean but I wanted to use only the highter part of the skull to make a skull symbol evocating of a sabertooth but simple to reproduce. The fang under it are more like a stylised neckless ( I have a tattoo like that on the chest that I drawn a years ago and I wanted to add this as a little wink. So I will already have a tattoo of my house héhé

@Brother Lunkhead : Thanks a lot brother ! I think I will follow your advise and don't go for red sands. The xeno fauna is appealing but I'm not found of the GW bitz and I don't have a clue how to make my own.. I was thinking over the night and I came up with the idea of yellow savana tall grass in witch the lions stalks. It would be doable and the gold like color of those grass would look great with the schem I think ? With the archeotech ruines suggested by Kraut.

@Kraut : Thanks mate ! For the base what do you think of what I suggest to Brother Lunkhead ?

As for the metalics I know it look weird now because the gold are just primed. This is something I wanted to try since I see a model from a great peinters mixing the two technique somewhere on the internet. I liked the idea and decided to give it a try. I already do just that with the shield bodyguard. Using true metalics for the gold parts and nmm on the grenade, chaînes etc. I've made some progresse on Samba (their is still the pigments to add) you could have a look at how the two technics looks together when finished. :smile.:

@Bjorn : Samba N"Diaye is a hight representative of the Grios cast. Those are acting as Sacristan, keeper of arcanes, religion and lore of the Joolan House. Therefor that's them who trade with the mechanicum from the day the House join the imperium. The way Samba N"Diaye get this axe is unknown but it look like this Relics came from a forgotten âge of the Joolan history.

Vm8D8.jpg

JYWqR.jpg

ajXKy.jpg

nn53Q.jpg

Let me know what you think :smile.:

Malchy

Sorry for the long unedited quote, having problems with my editor...…

Your choice in basing materials and design are spot on. The grasses and sand your using really compliment your figure designs and colors well:thumbsup: I especially like the tall savannah grasses. 

I know what you mean about the GW base bitz…. I'm not a big fan either (except the box of skulls.... they are screaming cool). Should you decide in the future to dabble with more exotic xeno style fauna, I suggest checking out pet supply stores. Some larger pet stores and ones that specialize in fish and reptiles often have very exotic looking plastic plants and multi-colored sands for aquariums and terrariums. I'm using these kinds of things for a Lost Patrol style gaming table display. Many of these items can be easily modified for small based.

I'd say "Good Luck!", but clearly you don't need it since you have an ample supply of talent:yes:

Mmm mmm good! Well, I may have to start looking at the skaven for some bits!

The warriors are coming along beautifully and I’m looking forward to that ogryn getting some paint!

@brother Lunkhead : Thanks for the advise brother ! I wouldn't have thought to the aquarium plastic plant but you're right ! It could do some nice xenos fauna, I'll look into it ;)

@Hushrong : Cheers ! I'll have to speed up things if I want to have the time to paint him but I assure you it's hard to resist starting the work on the Ogryn haha ^^

@steamius : Thanks a lot :) The more I paint and the more I love working on bright colors ^^.

In the meantime I made some progresse on Souleyba Joolan. Pilot of the Knight "Obsidian Fury " and principal character of the Warband .

Here are the WiPs :

g1Vye.jpg

kV9RL.jpg

Vmrn1.jpg

ajroA.jpg

XPbq9.jpg

4PdoX.jpg

4PdoX.jpg

OwOqK.jpg

OwOqK.jpg

0aGN9.jpg

I think that I'll try to pull the blade on some orange thones because something bother me about it without knowing what..

Anyway I hope finishing him soon ;)

Thanks for watching and as always comments are more than welcome :)

Malchy

Joolan is awesome and that's a ton of beautiful, painted detail in there. However, I love that shield above all else. Those gold-esque scales are eye catching...and that's the distraction he probably needs to stick his opponent with his spear.

Hope it's not too late but I feel there's something a bit off balanced with the whole left arm of your sarge. Actuelly you noticed it also as you're wondering about putting some orange tones to the blade.

"Cut" the left arm and look at the miniature : there's harmony here, strong colors, contrasts and all, everything works together.

Then if we come back to the left arm, first I see some kind of alien shoulderpad : I understand that there must be a bit of background behind this shoulderpad being there, but you need to link it to the rest of the miniature. I would propose some turquoise verdigris on the gold and maybe some redish shadows on the grey part, next to the golden trim. This way it will echo to both the legs and the breast plate.

Next, the arm cloth and the and : that's a bit much of beige imho. I understand that it balances with the skulls on the shield, but it creates an horizontal axe of reading the miniature passing just under the head. I feel that the miniature should primary read vertically, the head being the first focal point. Maybe to break this feeling it can be enough to brownish / redish the skulls, or to paint the hand itself turquoise (as a full glove instead of a wrist ornament), I don't know....you should :wink:

(actually there's also this skull hanging from the handle of the spear, it should be treated in the same color as the others, so i would go for a more brownish / redish skull to really frame the head with soft tones guiding to the bright breast plate then the face).

Lastly, the blade of the spear and its power generator (the lasgun part). The tribal markings must be of the same color, and the feel of energy rushing through given only with lightning increasing to the tip of the blade. 

About the color...I'm not sure that you can keep the balance of the miniature with a red. I feel it needs a very cold and bright color (don't ask me which ! but I guess that a look to the chromatic circle should give the answer). Oh, and I'm not sure about the feather as well :wink:

Ehm...that was a nice first post on your thread, wasn"t it ? ^^

Seriously, that"s absolutly not a criticism on your work, all of your miniatures are abbsolutly stunning ! I only feel that here you should go a little further. Keep up the good brush :wink:

Hey everyone ! Thanks a lot for your comments and feedbacks :smile.:

@Bjorn : Cheers Bjorn !

@Augustus : Thanks man ! After Night lords, Raven Guards and Carcharodons I'm really enjoying working on bright colors now :smile.:

@Hushrong : Thanks Hushrong ! That's exactly the strategy I had in mind ^^

@Kraut : Thanks brother ! Glade you like Souleyba ! You honored me with an Hunt award I must prove myself worthy of it ! ^^

@Gabocius : Wow ! What a comment ! Well thanks a lot to take the time to comment so precisly on my work :smile.:

You are right with the fact that something bothered me concerning the weapon area. I use to work with triangle of  spot colors and a small palet to usualy achieve harmony and have good focal point (as described in details a few pages back on this thread). Here I mostly go on this using my African knight house colors : black / green / gold but with the idea of making this man more eye-catching than the others member of the warband (hens the yellow).

Nontheless I try to work it so that it don't became a messy maelstrom of colors ^^ :

The shoulderpad (definitivly crafted by man we are not heretique xenos breed .. wait ..) is black and gold to fit the house colors but you are totaly right it must be linked to the rest and I had use a pale turquoise to highlight it (like some verdigris). I also made the exacte same treatment on the other side with the kind of claws on the shield to balance the black part on the two side of the head. On some of the gold parts verdigris was also planed but in a really subtle amount (to not compet with the green already present a lot) and it was not realise yet on the WIP pictures.

For the rest of it I think that the analisys is kind of distorted by the fact that those pictures are wips. I think the base (bringing a lot of color by itself) and some last minute add, like little colors spot at key places, are playing a huge part in the final balance of the miniature.

I get to finish the model yesterday so you'll be able to tell me if I'm wrong ^^. 

Here it is :

Souleyba Joolan, Scion of house Joolan, pilot of the Knight "Obsidian Fury" 

ajDRZ.jpg

nnqO1.jpg

kVD0y.jpg

Vm25V.jpg

31aXj.jpg

9VXL3.jpg

GmYka.jpg

eqDO5.jpg

I work on the blade so that it is more orange, it work better with the base that bring a lot of those colors. It look a lot less out of place. I use red markings on the skulls in that way too. Finaly as the head of souleyba is dark I made a kind of beige circle around it to keep it at the center. (hense the lot of beige) 

What do you think ? :smile.:

(Gabocius : Don't hesitate to give me your thought now on the whole model color balance :wink: )

Thanks for watching !

Malchy

Joolan looks great, but where does he stash the spear and shield when he pilots the Obsidian Fury? A trophy rack on the Knight's back? A storage compartment under the Knight's throne mechanicum, designed for his "survival kit" (tent, heater, water & rations, first aid equipment, handheld vox & emergency transponder, etc.)?

Archived