Javelin Attack Speeders

Apostle of the 30th Host

Having just purchased my last few bits and pieces to finish up my 2000 Points 30k Army, I have been thinking of where to go next with it. It has taken far to long to build straight to 2000 Points, and will take even longer to paint it all, so I think working in 500 Point sections from now on will be key to making good progress.

In this first 500 Points I am keen to address something that is quite a weakness in the basic list - ranged anti-armour - as I currently only have a Sicaran with Lascannon Sponsons that can perform this role. Which brings me to the Javelin...

Never really been a fan of Land Speeders before, but I quite like these and their rules and options are really good. Furthermore, they are cheap, meaning I can fit 2 into my first 500 Points.

I am looking to spend about 130 Points on a pair of them to round of my 500 Points (alongside 3 Apothecaries and a Tactical Support Squad with Volkite Chargers) and thinking of the following to round out my anti-armour:

2 Javelins with Cyclone Missile Launchers and Multi-Meltas - 130 Points exactly!

I chose the Missiles over Lascannons as even though they have worse slightly Strength, AP and no Twin-Linked, they have more shots which balances it out.

Furthermore, the Multi-Melta can threaten anything without Armoured Ceramite, whilst adding an extra S8 shot with better AP.

This seems like a decent way to run them, but as something I have only just discovered, I was wondering what others thought about them and how to use and equip them.

Cheers!

I would consider the lascannon as a decent option. If you're going after stuff that needs a multi-melta's AP, the AP2 of the lascannon can be a great assist. People just focus on explode results and complain it's hard to get that 6, but other damage results all can have an impact. Immobilize is as bad as death for many dreadnoughts, or blowing off the cannon of a Medusa basically removes its threat, etc.

But yeah, MM+Cyclone+HK missiles is a great way to run them.  You don't have to go for outflank, if you have a vox net in place you can deep strike them behind stuff to unload 5 S8 attacks per model.

The best Javelins belong to the Blood Angels, because they can get an assault cannon for 5 points (which works better vs the medium/low-AV targets you want to be shooting missiles at in the first place).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running a duo of javelins with my world eaters army with great success.  I run with them multimelta, CML, and 2x hunter killers for a cool 75pts a piece.  The firepower they put out means that the enemy HAS to address them so, in my army anyway, they serve a dual purpose of being able to offload their shots on my first turn and soak up shots that might otherwise be going after my leviathan, spartan, or land raider.

I played around with starting them in reserve and have found that i like them on the table if i'm getting the first turn.

I think an ideal loadout would be 2 squadrons of 2 javs each, for 300pts you would have a super mobile fire platform.  If you don't get the first turn you could start 1 set in reserve to avoid it being slagged right away.

In the last game i played one of the javs survived being assaulted by powerfisting terminators because of the grav-backwash rule and with AV11 in the front you don't have to worry about bolter fire, so even though they are made of tin foil they are surprisingly durable (relatively).

Yea the 75 point build is usually the preferred one. 

I find a huge part of their strength is being able to move 30" and contest objectives last turn to swing games, but a lot of times people tend to position them a bit too aggressively and end up losing them early because of that

• 1 month later...

I chose the Missiles over Lascannons as even though they have worse slightly Strength, AP and no Twin-Linked,

What do you mean? The Javelin has a twin-linked cyclone missile launcher.

• 2 weeks later...

I chose the Missiles over Lascannons as even though they have worse slightly Strength, AP and no Twin-Linked,

What do you mean? The Javelin has a twin-linked cyclone missile launcher.

I a Cyclone Missile Launcher Twin-Linked? I did not know that. Thanks for that spot. I'm even more set on it now.

Thanks for all the responses too, they have really helped. I'm definitely adding some once I stop being distracted by all the new 40k Sons stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently running two with Lascannons in my Chogorian Brotherhood, the range of the Lascannons and the speed of the Speeder means that I can usually pick my targets, and with Strafing Run and Twinlinked, I find I get the hits I need at the moment. Planning on adding another two later on, not entirely sure wether I'll go missile or las on those.

The missile and lascannon discussion is an interesting one.

I am not sure one lascannon shot is worth 10 points more than 2 missile shots, but I guess it depends on the target. The lascannon can do more significant damage with pens, which fits more along the lines of the multi-melta, while the missile loadout lets put out an impressive 5 S8 shots with your first volley.  Hard to say which is best.

It (lascannon) isn't worth it. Probabilities for wrecking by stripping hull points are higher than getting Explodes result by a high margin. The lower the AV value is the more better you are off with missiles than a single lascannon shot but with even AV14 it is statistically more probable.

Edit: Oh crap I was wrong. I'll add up my calculations later.

Edit2: 1 twinlinked lascannon shot against AV14 does penetrating or glancing hit at 29.62% probability and two twinlinked missiles have same probability for glancing hit against AV14 but lascannon also has a 4.94% probability of exploding the target.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely a very strong choice. As a World Eater i am obsessed with Spartan spam, often neglecting any ranged support at all. This makes my forces sometimes easy to counter but i started running 3 Javelins as separate FA choices, all armed with MM, x2HKM and the twin linked cyclone missile launcher. This setup is gold, i keep them behind my assault elements as supporting fire, they are very effective and can handle random units that try to engage them in CC. If i feel like running dreadclaws i just bunch them together into units of either 3 or 2 and 1 depending on how many dreadclaws i deploy.

Archived