Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

3rd Company

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Arion

Arion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 95 posts

Greetings brothers,

Here are some progress pics of my Blood Angels. I bought the Start Collecting force and an assault squad with a BA upgrade sprue. I also salvaged a dreadnought from years ago, when I had the idea of first starting 40k.

Paint-wise, I am sticking to a simple scheme: black primer, two coats of Mephiston Red, Nuln Oil, highlights in Wild Rider Red. Any scrolls, cloths or fabric gets a Mournfang Brown coat followed by an Ushabti Bone drybrushing and a White Scars drybrushing. Metallic parts are done in Leadbelcher, followed with Nuln Oil and eventually some Leadbelcher highlights. Golden trim is simply done with Balthasar Gold over a layer of Leadbelcher. I ink with Reikland Fleshshade over that if I want to give it a burnished look, typically for flamer or meltagun barrels.

In the future, I'd like to add Gehenna Gold highlights to the gold trims, highlights to the black Bolter casings and add some Runefang Silver highlights to the metallic parts. For now, I'm focusing on painting with a limited palette of colors.

Bases are drybrushed with Dawnstone, inked with NUln Oil and then again with Ushabti Bone. 

Some light conversion work (mainly re-positioning arms with the help of some Greenstuff), nothing fancy yet.

It's all WIP, be kind!

First, lets start off with a group shot:

group_1.jpg

Close up on the first 5 man tactical (other fives are being painted). I try to keep stuff WYSIWYG usually, but the BA sprues are so fancy I couldn't resist giving a power sword to the standard bearer and a chainsword to one of the tactical marines. In game, they count as simple marines with bolters of course. I didn't write anything on the banner scroll yet. Still thinking about what to paint there. All my Blood SMs have a black blood drop on the right pauldron (hence 3rd Company) and the winged chapter iconography on the left. I decided to paint all wings white. I think it contrasts better with the red and gives the Bloods a more "noblebright" feeling, in line with Sanguinius and some of the artwork in the books.

tacs_close.jpg

Predator Baal is WIP.

Baal_in_progress.jpg

Assault Squad is missing a man, because I want them to have two meltaguns and I only have one for now. When I get my hands on a second one, I will assemble and paint the final dude. I paint my highlights very thick, partly because I'm lazy, partly because they are more visible from afar.

Assault_Squad_close.jpg

Dreadnought is not finished. Didn't do the lenses (need to buy some green paints) and the base is not finished. Also need to find something to write on the scroll. Names and suggestions are welcome smile.png The Dread has Second Company colors, mainly because that's the decals I had. So I guess it's a generous loan from the 2nd to the 3rd, lol.

dread_face_1.jpg

dread_side_1.jpg

dread_side_2.jpg

There it is for now. Need to finish up the Predator Baal and the remaining 5 men of the tactical. Then, my next purchases will probably be the Death Company box containing 15 brothers, a Chaplain and a Dread.

• Lucumon, Chaplain Dosjetka, Brother Dallo and 6 others like this

My 40k Blood Angels (last update with pictures on Dec 5th 2016): http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/327651-3rd-company/

My 30K Emperor's Children (last update with pictures on September 5th 2018): http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/329491-iiird-legion-shadow-of-perfection/

My 30K Sons of Horus (last update with pictures on June 19th 2018): http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/337228-xvith-legion-let-the-galaxy-burn/

My 30K Imperial Fists (last update with pictures on September 5th 2018): http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/347687-viith-legion-manning-the-walls-of-terra/

Brother Mikael

Brother Mikael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 129 posts
  • Faction: Sanguine Gargoyles (BA)

I like the limited palette; it's simple and clean, and still looks great! Amazing work, and I can't wait to see more. :D

IA: Sanguine Gargoyles; PLogMy DIY Blood Angels Successor Chapter

Brother Sigbjörn - Space Wolves Wolf Scout - The Black Reaches, a Deathwatch campaign

Brother Calder - Salamanders Techmarine - To Recover the Past, a Deathwatch campaign

gallery_4664_12529_13522.jpg

Lasuria

Lasuria

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 83 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Well all I can say is that I'd wish my WIP would look half as good as yours ! :P 

I'm going for the same scheme as yours (which is the one recommended by GW if I'm not mistaken) so I'm pretty happy to see that it looks damn good once completed :D 

As a side note : I never truly understood why all dreadnought aren't first company as they are veterans per se ? If anyone has an idea about that ...

Anyhow : great work ! thumbsup.gif

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpg

LutherMax

LutherMax

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,959 posts
Looking really good man, glad to have you in the subforum :)

Tyriks

Tyriks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,789 posts
Very nice, your highlights are wide but still subtle (which I like, not into the really stark ones). I am keen to see more!

Well all I can say is that I'd wish my WIP would look half as good as yours ! :P 

I'm going for the same scheme as yours (which is the one recommended by GW if I'm not mistaken) so I'm pretty happy to see that it looks damn good once completed :D 

As a side note : I never truly understood why all dreadnought aren't first company as they are veterans per se ? If anyone has an idea about that ...

Anyhow : great work ! :tu:

Well, any squad can have a veteran sergeants, even scouts, so I guess they aren't super strict about veterans going to 1st company?

Arion

Arion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 95 posts

Thank you for all the kind words. I'll do my best to keep this thread updated.

I think company organization varies wildly according to Chapters and their adherence to the Codex Astartes. I suppose if some hero of the 3rd or 5th or whatever company gets irreversibly maimed and is interred in a Dreadnought, he will keep fighting in his original company, for honor and traditional reasons. Any lore-guru can step in on this issue?

My 40k Blood Angels (last update with pictures on Dec 5th 2016): http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/327651-3rd-company/

My 30K Emperor's Children (last update with pictures on September 5th 2018): http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/329491-iiird-legion-shadow-of-perfection/

My 30K Sons of Horus (last update with pictures on June 19th 2018): http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/337228-xvith-legion-let-the-galaxy-burn/

My 30K Imperial Fists (last update with pictures on September 5th 2018): http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/347687-viith-legion-manning-the-walls-of-terra/

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,007 posts

That is a very pretty red. Nice one!

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,184 posts

Thank you for all the kind words. I'll do my best to keep this thread updated.

I think company organization varies wildly according to Chapters and their adherence to the Codex Astartes. I suppose if some hero of the 3rd or 5th or whatever company gets irreversibly maimed and is interred in a Dreadnought, he will keep fighting in his original company, for honor and traditional reasons. Any lore-guru can step in on this issue?

Exactly. Some dreads are captains, some are veteran sergeants, etc. 

Wild rider on mephiston looks good. I'm going evil suns scarlet over the mephiston first, for a bit of a darker look. 

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,689 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

I'm very jealous if those are your first marines. Great faces and the bases work really well.

Greetings brothers,

Close up on the first 5 man tactical (other fives are being painted). I try to keep stuff WYSIWYG usually, but the BA sprues are so fancy I couldn't resist giving a power sword to the standard bearer and a chainsword to one of the tactical marines.

Tactical squads don't normally have 'standard bearers'. Those banners are for sergeants (and squad leaders if you use 2nd edition style ranks).

No reason why you can't have a standard on someone else but it will confuse people (especially snipers msn-wink.gif ).

Some dreadnoughts are more venerable than others. But the whole 'venerables are for the first company and furioso are BA venerables so should be first company only' thing hasn't been followed closely in GW publications for a while.

Edited by Closet Skeleton, 08 November 2016 - 05:23 PM.

Arion

Arion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 95 posts

Brothers,

Quick update on my Blood Angels. This painting session was really tiring: finished 4 extra marines, highlighted all weapons with Fenris Grey (awful), painted the wax seals Sybarite Green, scribbled holy scriptures on all the parchemins, and some bits and bobs here and there. Still one marine waiting to be painted so he can join his glorious brothers ("hurry up Brother Sammael. The xenos, heretic and mutant do not wait!"). You'll notice the Assault Squad in the back only has four marines, the fifth one is not even assembled yet, because I am missing a melta gun (squad is supposed to have two meltas and a power fist on the Sergeant). The Eviscerator is not WYSIWIG but it looks awesome so it goes on "-Bruvva Ferian, the armory has not cleared you to carry this relic to battuhl!" "-but Sarge!!! everyone has a cool melta or a power fist! why can't I get an epic weapon as well." "-for Sanguinius sake, but pretend it's a normal chainsword when you are purging the enemeh.").

20161204_143711_1.jpg

20161204_143717_1.jpg

Free-handed some decorations on the hull. I was going for gold gilding and messed up big time. To lazy to fix-it. Not all Blood Angels are master artisans, lol.

20161204_143904_1.jpg

Finished free-handing the parchemin scrolls on both-sides of the Predator Baal and magnetized the side sponsons. I don't know why I did that, as the tank will never roll out without sponsons but whatever. If sponsons get destroyed in battle, I can remove them I guess.

20161204_143912_1.jpg

For weathering, I tried a technique I recently read about somewhere: I used a piece of foam (works with a sponge as well), -those that use to come with the old-fashion GW blister packs-, dipped it in paint and then applied it lightly on the hull. Did that with Abaddon Black and Mournfang Brown to replicate grime and mud. Easy weathering with little effort. Works on Space Marine armor as well.

20161204_143922_1.jpg

Turret remains to be painted, then the Predator Baal will finally be finished. I'm hesitating whether to paint some angel wings or something on top of the hull, but it's a huge hassle...

Recap:

9 Tacticals - missing 1

4 Assault Squad - missing 1

1 dreadnought - 95% complete (need to finish the basing)

1 Predator Baal - 80% complete

1 Captain in Terminator Armor - waiting for a donor sword to convert him. Not a fan of the generic thunder hammer

Next on the buy list: the big box with all the black dudes (15 Death Co, Chaplain, dreadnought). I really love the look of the Death Co Dreadnought but I feel it makes more sense to assemble it as a Librarian Dread for gaming purposes... Any input on this from people with both? What's the feedback game-wise?

• Jønke, Warsmith Uveron, Sans Mercy and 2 others like this

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,007 posts

What an awesome Predator!

Top job!

Mirthless

Mirthless

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 25 posts
  • Faction: Blood Wardens

wow... nice job!

How did you create the paint chipping effect to reveal the bare metal?

Blood Angels: 5000 points / Grey Knights: 2300 points / Iron Hands: 1035 points / Necrons: 2500 points

Arion

Arion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 95 posts

wow... nice job!

How did you create the paint chipping effect to reveal the bare metal?

Thank you! For chipping I drybrush some Abaddon Black on an edge to represent the paint chipping, and then do the same on top with Leadbelcher to represent the bare metal showing under the scratch. I try to keep things logical: meaning scratches go from the front of the vehicle to the back, and mainly on the leading edges, in order to replicate realistic damage location. You can always push it one step further by concentrating damage around lenses, cupolas, guns, etc. all areas that would draw concentrated/aimed fire from the enemy.

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,184 posts

Brothers,

The Eviscerator is not WYSIWIG but it looks awesome so it goes on "-Bruvva Ferian, the armory has not cleared you to carry this relic to battuhl!" "-but Sarge!!! everyone has a cool melta or a power fist! why can't I get an epic weapon as well." "-for Sanguinius sake, but pretend it's a normal chainsword when you are purging the enemeh.").

Actually, as of Angel's Blade, our assault squads are allowed to take Eviscerators.

Great weathering on the pred!

Jønke

Jønke

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 283 posts

Incredible work. The simple red recepi works really great. And the details on the predator is just awesome. Help to destinguis it from the red blobs most of us have :P

Keep it up. Looking forward to see more.

Bukimimaru

Bukimimaru

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,099 posts
  • Faction: The Redeemers

Whats the stat-line for an Eviscerator? 

Are they worth taking? I remember them being very expensive points wise. 

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_01.jpg

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,007 posts

Whats the stat-line for an Eviscerator? 
Are they worth taking? I remember them being very expensive points wise.

Around power fist levels

A two handed chainfist

So you can enjoy your 2 (3 on Sarge... Think he's eligible but probs not) S9 AP2 Roll 2 dice for penetration if you want!

Consdiering you could take a ten man jump/ pod squad with two inferno pistols, 2 melta and 2 evicerator means you will start tearing apart anything with an armour value in the back line - and look awesome doing it!

Edited by Jolemai, 12 December 2016 - 02:57 PM.
Rules fishing

• Bukimimaru likes this

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,689 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

So you can enjoy your 2 (3 on Sarge... Think he's eligible but probs not) S9 AP2 Roll 2 dice for penetration if you want!

Eviscerators are any model can take 1 per 5 models, so Sergeants can have one but you can't get three that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users