Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Brother Mikael's Sanguine Gargoyles Project Log

Sanguine Gargoyles Project Log WIP Blood Angels Successor

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Brother Mikael

Brother Mikael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 129 posts
  • Faction: Sanguine Gargoyles (BA)

Hail, fellow Angels of Sanguinius! And welcome to my project log for my Sanguine Gargoyles successor chapter. The goal for this thread is to allow me to organize my thoughts on various projects for my army, and will include everything from WIP updates on getting my forces painted, to kit-bashes for custom special characters, to dioramas and display boards. I may also post WIP stuff for Oath challenges when they pertain to the Blood Angels or my personal Chapter.

I will use this first post to showcase my latest update, and links to different projects will also be posted here so that people can find everything easier.

*Please note that for now, this thread may not have many WIP updates; many of the projects I envision, specifically the kit-bashes and dioramas, will probably require significant time actually gathering the parts needed. I am also probably going to have to replace my paints, strip some models of failed previous schemes, and other miscellaneous preparing in order to actually get any hobbying done. I thank you for your patience and support, and can't wait to share my endeavors with yall.*

++++++++++++++++++++

Kit-Bash Projects

• Commander Ambrogio - Custom Dante Non-Magnetized
  • Chief Librarian Pellegrino - Custom Mephiston Non-Magnetized
  • High Chaplain Gregario - Custom Astorath Non-Magnetized
  • Chaplain Fino - Custom Lemartes/Death Company Chaplain Magnetized
  • High Priest Gaspare - Custom Corbulo Non-Magnetized
  • Orfeo - Custom Gabriel Seth Non-Magnetized
  • Captain Gualtiero - Custom Captain Karlaen Non-Magnetized
  • Clemente the Crazed - Custom Cassor/Death Company Dreadnought Magnetized
  • Orazio - Custom Malakim Phoros Non-Magnetized
  • Captain Markendaya - Custom Captain Tycho Non-Magnetized
  • Captain Markendaya - Custom DC Captain Tycho Non-Magnetized
  • Ancient Alessandro - Custom Venerable/Furioso Dreadnought Magnetized
  • Generic Captain Magnetized
  • Generic Terminator Captain Magnetized
  • Generic Librarian Magnetized
  • Generic Terminator Librarian Magnetized
  • Generic Sanguinary Priest Magnetized

Painting Projects

• Sternguard Squad - 10-man; base-coated
  • Scout Squad - 5-man w/ camo cloaks & sniper rifles; needs 32mm bases
  • Stormraven - undecided on Death Company/Raphen's color scheme, or standard Chapter scheme
  • Sanguinary Guard - 5-man squad; needs 32mm bases
  • Tactical Squad - ??-man squad; I have numerous random Tactical Marines, but I can't recall specifically how many I have at the moment; needs 32mm bases
  • Assault/Command/Vanguard Squad - 5-man squad ; undecided, will probably end up turning this squad into a Command Squad for a dsiplay; needs 32mm bases
  • Raphen - needs 32mm base
  • Raphen's Death Company - needs 32mm bases

Dioramas & Displays

• "Traitors United" (Armies on Parade board) - Black Legion and "aligned" Traitor Marines assault an expedition force
  • "There's a Fungus Among Us" (Diorama) - Orks on side, Genestealers on the other, and nowhere to run
  • "Daemonhost" (Diorama) - Ka'Bandha returns once more to battle the Sons of Sanguinius

Fan-Fiction & Writing Projects

• Legends of the Angels 2016 Entry (WIP)

Edited by Brother Mikael, 10 November 2016 - 02:11 PM.

• Arkangilos, Kierdale, Brother Lemartes and 1 other like this

IA: Sanguine Gargoyles; PLogMy DIY Blood Angels Successor Chapter

Brother Sigbjörn - Space Wolves Wolf Scout - The Black Reaches, a Deathwatch campaign

Brother Calder - Salamanders Techmarine - To Recover the Past, a Deathwatch campaign

gallery_4664_12529_13522.jpg

Father Mapple

Father Mapple

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 738 posts
  • Faction: Blood Suns
Cool name for a successor. I'm Look in forward to seeing some of the projects. We're a very inspirational focused sub-forum.
  • Brother Mikael likes this

Brother Mikael

Brother Mikael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 129 posts

I updated the fist post to add a list of most of the projects I'm planning so far (minus the custom-built, kit-bashed squads I hope to get around to eventiually sweat.gif). I have a few other models, but I'll probably use them as the base for future kit-bashes; we'll see. I've also got some paint on my Sternguard squad, and tomorrow I'll try to get some pictures of those up.

Edited by Brother Mikael, 08 November 2016 - 05:33 AM.

Brother Sigbjörn - Space Wolves Wolf Scout - The Black Reaches, a Deathwatch campaign

Brother Calder - Salamanders Techmarine - To Recover the Past, a Deathwatch campaign

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,172 posts
I too was drawn in by the name :tu:
  • Brother Mikael likes this

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,374 posts

That is a really evocative name!

You now need to use some of those Chaos Lascannon/ Heavy Bolter barrels as helms for your guys :P

Brother Mikael

Brother Mikael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 129 posts

Heh, I'm glad my choice of name has been getting such recognition. That alone is enough to make this whole thing a success. Now I just have to live up to the expectations! sweat.gif

You now need to use some of those Chaos Lascannon/ Heavy Bolter barrels as helms for your guys tongue.png

Hadn't thought of using those bits for helmets, but I actually have a couple of them squirreled away, just waiting for inspiration to strike (like now). Maybe I'll test out a couple models and see how they look. If I like them, maybe I'll make those the standard helmets for my Veteran squads. I did, however, already begin considering using those bits for vehicle ornamentation, so we're definitely close to the same train of thought! msn-wink.gif

Edited by Brother Mikael, 08 November 2016 - 09:22 PM.

Brother Mikael

Brother Mikael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 129 posts

As I'm usually behind on the latest releases as far as codices/supplements are concerned, I just found out about the Chapter Ancients formation from the Angels Blade Strike Force. This has inspired yet another project for my chapter, and I had a couple quick questions regarding drop pods for the Dreadnoughts.

First, are Lucius-pattern drop pods worth the extra points? 

And second, if I took a regular drop pod, should I stick with storm bolters in them, or would the deathwind launchers be worth paying for?

I'm looking at doing two Chapter Ancients formations (one shooty and one close-combat oriented) and having never used drop pods, I don't know what would be best for either one.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,374 posts

You don't need pods for the shooty ones, just sit back - advance and double dakka on the first turn.

For combat Dreads/ Furioso you really want pods. Lucius are really powerful, as you can stay inside, shoot out and not be touched until they kill your 3 AV12 HP that have a 5++ or better cover save.

Though, the rules for them have changed in 30k a little, so be prepared for that in a future FW book (I'm guessing the next one).

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,296 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

Drop Pods for the shooty ones could make sense tho. You don't have to place your Dreadnoughts in them. Just deploy them like normally and use the extra, no empty, Drop Pods to make your filled Drop Pods come on the first turn.
Later you can still just drop them on objectives when they come from reserves.

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pngETL_VI_Banner_02_Oathbraker_.jpg

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,374 posts

Drop Pods for the shooty ones could make sense tho. You don't have to place your Dreadnoughts in them. Just deploy them like normally and use the extra, no empty, Drop Pods to make your filled Drop Pods come on the first turn.
Later you can still just drop them on objectives when they come from reserves.

True, but you want some sort of board presence too, and you'd need like 10 pods then...

Plus they can't double tap shooting on the turn they deep strike, so any that are destoryed lose that ability.

Brother Mikael

Brother Mikael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 129 posts

Ok, thanks for the info.

Well, I didn't get pictures of my Sternguard squad, but I did manage to find a few gems while I was rummaging around a random box of 40k stuff that I thought I'd lost.

Now to figure out what I wanna do with them, heh.

Edit: Aaaand I took too long getting these photos from my phone, to my laptop, to the B&C, and new posts happened!

Edited by Brother Mikael, 09 November 2016 - 11:18 AM.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,172 posts
Some nice discoveries!

And I'd love to see you use the Chaos 'Gargoyle' barrels on loyalist models. If any chapter could pull it off, yours seems most suitable.

Brother Mikael

Brother Mikael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 129 posts

I'll have to see if I can pop the heads off a couple spare Tac Marines and do a test fit. I'll try to get to that tomorrow; I'm getting a little excited to see it myself. :)

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,374 posts

Forge World Night Lords heads and stuff will probably also do you well.

Lots of scary skull faces and stuff.

Brother Mikael

Brother Mikael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 129 posts

Heh, I actually went with the name Gargoyles because of their original use; they diverted rainfall away from buildings in order reduce water damage, stains, etc. That was my original intent for these guys, to channel the Imperium's enemies away from vital sectors/worlds in order to reduce the damage they could cause. (Gargoyles shouldn't be confused with grotesques, which are similar, but don't have the water-diverting channels down their spines that gargoyles do. A grotesque's purpose was to ward off evil/malevolent spirits, which actually fits the 40k theme quite well itself.)

Edited by Brother Mikael, 09 November 2016 - 04:23 PM.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,374 posts

Excellent explanation too!

Brother Mikael

Brother Mikael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 129 posts

Alas! I cannot seem to find those Chaos barrels I thought I had. I seem to be missing a bitz tub that was strictly Chaos bitz (perhaps it got sucked into the warp?), but I know it has to be around here somewhere. I looked for it a little bit at, oh...3 or 4 this morning? But with roommates, I couldn't do too much without making a racket. So I guess I'll have to up-end all my storage containers and bitz tubs to see if I can find the sneaky little git.

In the words of Shakespeare's Henry V, "Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more."

On a different note, I think I may take the Games Day Captain and just turn him into Raphen; he's already got the Thunderhammer, and I didn't see any Smu-...I mean Ultramarines symbols on him. Plus, I didn't have a plan for kit-bashing a Raphen, so instead of four Death Company Marines plus Raphen, I can have five DC Marines plus Raphen. Still brainstorming on the other three guys though...

Brother Mikael

Brother Mikael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 129 posts

Are we allowed to post WIP fan-fiction in our personal threads, specifically those that pertain to Vows? Not being the best writer, I tend to be overly wordy, and would love to be able to get feedback on my writing.

Edited by Brother Mikael, 10 November 2016 - 07:09 AM.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,172 posts
Personally I was suggesting using the Chaos gargoylesque barrel ornaments as barrel ornaments, rather than helmets. :)

And I don't think anyone would object to fanfic here (though if it's long you might want to use make it
Hidden Content
).

Brother Mikael

Brother Mikael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 129 posts

No, Charlo mentioned using them as helmets. I'll probably stay away from using them on actual weapons, because I foresee getting a lot of "Why are your Loyalists using Chaos weapons?! That's heresy!" -type comments if I did. But thanks for the suggestion! thanks.gif

And I'll definitely be putting stories posted here in spoiler blocks. smile.png

Edited by Brother Mikael, 10 November 2016 - 08:57 AM.

Brother Mikael

Brother Mikael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 129 posts

Here's the intro for my LotA vow. Let me know what you think. For those of you who are creative-writing inclined, I would love critiques on what I can do to improve my own writing.

Hidden Content

As I get more written, I will edit this post.

• LutherMax and Brother Lemartes like this

Brother Mikael

Brother Mikael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 129 posts

Quick question: For those of you who do kit-bashes, when you don't have the bitz you're looking for, do you prefer amazon/ebay or bitz sites to buy them?

LutherMax

LutherMax

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,900 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Quick question: For those of you who do kit-bashes, when you don't have the bitz you're looking for, do you prefer amazon/ebay or bitz sites to buy them?

Wherever I can get them for the best price! eBay is usually my first port of call because you have a pool of sellers in one place, rather than having to go from site to site only to find the bit you want out of stock.
  • Brother Mikael and Tyriks like this

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,431 posts

No, Charlo mentioned using them as helmets. I'll probably stay away from using them on actual weapons, because I foresee getting a lot of "Why are your Loyalists using Chaos weapons?! That's heresy!"

Don't worry too much about that, loyalists are more baroque and ornamented than chaos these days. Space wolves are covered in trophies and pelts and chaotic runes, blood angels hold vials of blood, etc. The odd gargoyle head on a weapon won't be out of place.

Brother Lemartes

Brother Lemartes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,599 posts
I think it would look really cool. Not too chaosy at all imo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sanguine Gargoyles, Project Log, WIP, Blood Angels Successor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users