Raven Guard 4th Company (Tale of Many Gamers)

Valaas

Hi All,

First proper post on Bolter and Chainsword!

With my local GW running their annual Tale of Many Gamers from Jan-Apr, I thought I'd take the plunge again and this time opted for a Raven Guard force from the 4th Company.

The rules are straight forward, aside from a couple of test minis, I can't start  painting until the 1st of January 2017 but, can build as many models up as I like prior to that ready for the paint to start flying. After that its 500 pts per month through to the end of April, leaving you with a good fully painted 2000 pts force at the end of it.

So without further ado here is my planned list, I'm not a 'power gamer' and am  more interested in a fluffy list which is how my gaming group rolls.

Talon Strike Force:

Pinion Demi-Company:

- Captain - Jump pack and thunder hammer (using the Shadow Captain Korvydae Model) (Will attach him to the Assault Squad).

- 3x 5 man Tactical Squads + 1 Drop Pod

- 1x 5 man Assault Squad (with Jump packs)

- 1x 5 man Devastator Squad

- 1x 5 man Scout Squad, Sniper Rifles

- 1x 5 man Scout Squad, Bolters

- 1x5 mand Scout Squad, Shotguns and Landspeeder Storm

Strike Force Command:

- Captain (Shadow Captain Solaq Model)

- Apothecary

- Champion

- Standard

- 2x Veterans

Bladewing Assault Brotherhood:

Chaplin (converted using Shadow Captain Korvydae torso and bits from the blood angel Chaplin)

- 1x 5 man Vanguard Veterans (Using FW Dark Fury Assault  Squad)

- 2x 5 man Assault Squads

Ravenhawk Assault Group (though I am switching in a Storm eagle for the Storm Raven):

- 1 x Storm eagle

- 1x 5 man Sternguard Veterans ( using the FW Mor Deythan, with combi bolters)

- 1x Raven Guard Contemptor Dreadnought

This list is about 500 pts over target, but I thought I'd really push the limits this time. Stretch goal is that if I can get the above finished in good time I will try and squeeze in the Obsidian Knight to round out the force at approx 3000 pts.

Once the Tale of Many Gamers is done, I'll slow down a bit and continue to build t force with a view to eventually having a full company.

It is ambitious and I hope you guys and gals can keep me motivated and pushing on.

Once I get some test mini's painted up I'll post them up in a WIP thread.

Comments, questions and suggestions always welcome.

Cheers,

Valaas

hey Valaas,

glad to see some other newbies starting to build with "A tale of Many Gamers "

i look fwd to seeing your stuff and will tune back in Jan to see some black paint being applied

have you put any of it together yet?, time rolls by fast and before you know it it'll be jan and time for paint....

are you going to paint some test mini's to get your recipe's for highlights and gear locked in?...

Cheers, Mithril 

Hi all thanks for the interest!
Built so far....landspeeder storm, 5sniper scouts, 5 shotgun Scots and 5 bolter scouts. Waiting for my FW shoulders to arrive before tackling the tactical squads.

Painting up a test scout just now, the probably a tactical.

Cheers,
Valaas

:ohmy.:  i'd be super afraid to see a Shotgun Scot coming at me,he'd be really Angry indeed .....:tongue.: ...:laugh.:  (joke)

Mithril

:ohmy.:  i'd be super afraid to see a Shotgun Scot coming at me,he'd be really Angry indeed .....:tongue.: ...:laugh.:  (joke)

Mithril

And thus was my Veteran Scout Sergeant born.......

Shotgun Scot ... It's official now. :happy.:

Oh Dear.....

That'll teach me to respond to posts on my phone with fat fingers! 

Being a Scot, I can confirm that me coming towards you in a kilt holding a shotgun would be scary indeed! :furious: :wink:

Now I wonder if I can do a one off conversion of a scout with a kilt holding a shotgun.......... one for another day.

Cheers,

Valaas

Oh Dear.....

That'll teach me to respond to posts on my phone with fat fingers! 

Being a Scot, I can confirm that me coming towards you in a kilt holding a shotgun would be scary indeed! :furious: :wink:

Now I wonder if I can do a one off conversion of a scout with a kilt holding a shotgun.......... one for another day.

Cheers,

Valaas

Wonder if you could pass off a claymore as a "combat knife"? :biggrin.:  

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys and Gals,

Work has gone a bit nuts over the last month, so hobby time has really taken a hit!

Hope to get the Scout and Tactical Marine test mini's finished in the next week or so, but have been building models (to tired to paint but can do some building in front of the TV) ready for the January start.

Oooooh that korvydae/BA chaplain conversion sounds neat, would love to see a pic

I think the Chaplin will be built before the end of the year, so will look to post an unpainted pic, though he's not scheduled for paint until Feb..... Target for the end of January is the Pinion Demi-Company.

- Captain 

- 3x Tactical Squads (5 man squads)

- 1x Assault Squad (5 man)

- 1 x Devastator Squad (5 man)

- 3x Scout Squads (5 man squads)

- 1x Landspeeder Storm

Hopefully have a proper update with some pictures soon....

Cheers,

Valaas

Morning All,

No paint yet but, thought I'd post a couple of the models I've been building in preparation for the January kickoff, to show that I am making progress and to wet the appetite in the meantime.

First up is the Pinion Demi-Company Assault Squad Sergeant:

Next up is the Pinion Demi-Company Devastator Squad Sergeant:

Cheers,

Valaas

Hi All,

As of boxing day//....the Tale of Many Gamer's is all go!

Thanks to the Boxing Day Bash for motivation a Tactical Marine of the 1st Squad, 4th Company, Raven Guard is complete.

Tactical Squad 1, Marine, 4th Company

Sorry for the picture quality, stuck using my phone! Doesn't really pick up the weathering  on the legs,knees and elbows very well.

So quick question should I continue using this thread to show progress or do you think a separate thread in the painting forum is the better way to show progress?

Comments, questions and suggestions always welcome.

Cheers,

Valaas

¿por qué no los dos?

In all seriousness, I echo what duz said. I think its good to share it in both forums (assuming that isn't a violation of a rule I can't find - Race?) Posting it here further grows our small community-within-the-community, and posting it in the PCA forum will expose you to a wider scope of feedback and opinions. I think posting in both places is good for both you as the hobbyist as well as the community for content. The only people that could feel negatively about that would be us, here, in this forum, because we would see it twice, and frankly, I doubt anyone here is gonna complain. I know I'm sure not!

My current RG army is 6th Co (Orange) shoulder trim, mainly chosen because it is a great contrast (and I wanted an entire army of assault troops, rather than go the 8th Co route, I justified my 6th reserve company as all having access to jump packs). Now in seeing your progress, and my favorite color being green, I wish I had done 4th company. I am pretty certain when I begin re-doing my entire army, 4th Co it is! Great work!

Hi Guys and Gals,

Thanks for the feedback really helps me keep motivated on this challenge, which definitely helps a lot!

The PCA thread is for more eyes to see. Posting here gives it a more personal touch if I may be so bold. You could post in both places :happy.:

As for the dude, he looks great!:thumbsup:

As for the thread posting, your wish is my command, I'll run it on both!

Nice work
Where are the shoulder pads from?

I always like my WiPs in the army specific forums. They get appreciated more that way and not lost in the endless sea that is the WIP section. :wink:

Shoulder pads are forgeworld, I managed to get a job lot on ebay so have a good mix of Mark II, III, IV, VI and VII Power Armour pads to give a bit of variety, you'll see the other styles as I complete his squad mate.

¿por qué no los dos?

In all seriousness, I echo what duz said. I think its good to share it in both forums (assuming that isn't a violation of a rule I can't find - Race?) Posting it here further grows our small community-within-the-community, and posting it in the PCA forum will expose you to a wider scope of feedback and opinions. I think posting in both places is good for both you as the hobbyist as well as the community for content. The only people that could feel negatively about that would be us, here, in this forum, because we would see it twice, and frankly, I doubt anyone here is gonna complain. I know I'm sure not!

My current RG army is 6th Co (Orange) shoulder trim, mainly chosen because it is a great contrast (and I wanted an entire army of assault troops, rather than go the 8th Co route, I justified my 6th reserve company as all having access to jump packs). Now in seeing your progress, and my favorite color being green, I wish I had done 4th company. I am pretty certain when I begin re-doing my entire army, 4th Co it is! Great work!

May the 4th be with you, come join the 4th :wink:

This first Tactical Marine has really given me a boost to start the challenge as not only did he allow me to complete the Boxing Day Bash, he also brought home the glory of an Artificer Award back to the Raven Spire.

Now that the Tale of Many Gamer's has started expect some regular updates and feel free to hassle me if there is a prolonged gap....this will be a tough one!

"Victorus aut Mortis"

:ph34r.:

Cheers,

Valaas

Archived