Raven Guard 4th Company (Tale of Many Gamers)

Valaas

@ Itvyper- I'd say 5 Days constitutes a prolonged gap....:tongue.: 

" VALAAS !!!!" ...post stuff already :laugh.: 

Glad to see this is up and running,seeing others work helps motivate me to work on my Raptors so this is a positive indeed.

even with an average phone pic i can still see how great it looks, well done Valaas :thumbsup: 

@ Itvyper - I'm loving your idea too of the 6th Co army (you gotta love orange) i too am wanting to use orange on some 6th Co reserves for my raptors army...(in the near future)

Mithril 

Thanks for all the comments guys, given that I'm painting 10 at a time I would say a week is about right ;-).

Will be a few more nights before tactical squad 1 and scout squad 1 are finished.

Watch this space

Cheers,

Valaas

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately not a completion update, rather a WIP!

A manic first week back after the holidays and sick kids has curtailed my hobby time over the last week but, I have made some progress!

Provided I can get some time over the next few evenings I hope to get the Tactical squad finished off and move onto the assault squad and sniper scouts, which are sitting waiting undercoated and ready to go!

My new travel photo light box should be arriving tomorrow, so picture quality will be better on the finished models.

As always comments, suggestions and questions welcome.

Cheers,
Valaas

I have gone for cheap and cheerful given that I don't have much space. Figured if the in built LEDs are rubbish and can use a couple of lamps to improve it, and it folds away nicely.

Valaas' - Photobox

Also as its less than £12 if its useless it's not a massive loss.

Nice to see you using the Telion model for your Scout Sergeant. Was there a lot to do to get him deSmurfed?

Dead easy to de-smurf him....toughest thing is making sure you've found all his sneaky hidden smurf symbols.

- Shoulder

- Both vambraces

- Boltgun  (both sides)

As he's now finecast it's easy to carefully scrape away the smurf symbol with a hobby knife.

He'll represent my Veteran Scout Sergeant for the 1st Scout Squad.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sorry for the lag in updates,  a surprise trip away with work meant leaving all my Raven Guard goodies at home....however, I do have the completed Tactical Squad 1 to show you.

Squad Sergeant

Tactical Squad 1, Sergeant 4th Company

Squad Heavy Support

Tactical Squad 1, Heavy Support, 4th Company

Marine 1

Tactical Squad 1, Marine, 4th Company

Marine 2

Tactical Squad 1, Marine, 4th Company

Marine 3

Tactical Squad 1,Marine, 4th Company

The first scout squad and veteran sergeant is almost complete (just need their bases finished), so should have another update tomorrow or Thursday.

Due to my work trip I am behind, but with a day off on Friday I hope to make up some time and get an assault squad, devastator squad and scout snipers finished before the end of the month to hit 500 points painted in January.

As always comments, suggestions and questions welcome.

Cheers,

Valaas

Looking forward to more.

Not sure if you've been asked before. What are you using for the skin?

Hey Duz,

Skin is dead simple...

1) Smooth base of Ulthan Grey

2) all over wash with Reikland Flesh Shade

3) layer again with Ulthan Grey leaving the flesh shade in the recesses,

4) wash again this time with agrax earthshade

5) highlight the prominent areas with Ulthan grey again.

Its not obvious in the photos as it is very subtle on the very pale skin, but stubble on the shaved heads and chin is a 50/50 mix of Dawnstone and Lahmian medium (much more obvious on warm flesh tones, but no danger of that with the Raven Guard).

Hope that helps,

Valaas

Thanks for the great comments guys.

Heck yes!  There is a grittiness to the models that is very appealing to the eyes and matches the setting of the game.

The skin recipe is :thumbsup:

Decided when I took on this project to go for a gritty weathered scheme  as if they had been operating in the field for a prolonged period of time.

One of the main reasons to go for this was to give me a break from my Tau  which are pretty much parade ground clean (almost) and to expand my painting skills with trying out weathering, stubble etc. I love the Raven Guard fluff and felt that they were best suited for a 'down and dirty' scheme.

Looking forward to vehicle month (April I think at my current rate) to scale it up onto the larger models.

Marine 2 is getting a minor addition tonight, as my long term opponent suggested that the spent 'mag' would look good discarded on the base.....the seed is planted and now I have to do it!

Heya Valaas,

Really lovin the force,some pics are a bit blurry but we can still see the awesomesauce through it :thumbsup:

one glitch though is the bolter barrels,i know some peeps don't drill em(that's fine) but a circle of black paint on the ends still gives a great illusion...

I really dig the weathered look (as you would have guessed anyway:tongue.: ) and you bring it along well, i wash scratched metal with a watered down Agrax sometimes to tone down the metal and give it a slight dirty look as well and it helps transition between black armour and chipped metal...but only sparingly though.

Heavy Bolter mohawk is by far my Favourite:cool.:  followed closely with Mr Mag Change(the spare/empty mag idea is a must do!)

"Vehicle Month" ... hmm.  A Raven Guard painting challenge?!?!

Back on topic :happy.:

This is a Super Great Idea... Lets do it in Feb or March??.  i so have a 6th Co Landspeeder in mind for this:wub.:

Cheers, Mithril  

Heya Valaas,

Really lovin the force,some pics are a bit blurry but we can still see the awesomesauce through it :thumbsup:

one glitch though is the bolter barrels,i know some peeps don't drill em(that's fine) but a circle of black paint on the ends still gives a great illusion...

I really dig the weathered look (as you would have guessed anyway:tongue.: ) and you bring it along well, i wash scratched metal with a watered down Agrax sometimes to tone down the metal and give it a slight dirty look as well and it helps transition between black armour and chipped metal...but only sparingly though.

Heavy Bolter mohawk is by far my Favourite:cool.:  followed closely with Mr Mag Change(the spare/empty mag idea is a must do!)

"Vehicle Month" ... hmm.  A Raven Guard painting challenge?!?!

Back on topic :happy.:

This is a Super Great Idea... Lets do it in Feb or March??.  i so have a 6th Co Landspeeder in mind for this:wub.:

Cheers, Mithril  

Cheers for the great suggestions Mithril,

Good catch on the bolter barrels! I'd painted the black on Marine 3, but had completely forgotten to do it on Marine 1 and 2. Think I'll try a light wash of agrax earthshade over the shoulders to dull it down a little. I'll just bite the bullet and drill them on future models.

Photos are ok with the light booth working but, think it may be he camera that's the issue, will have to dig out my proper DSLR Camera and tripod and see how that fairs.

Heavy bolter is my favorite to and you'll be glad to know that the empty mag is now on the base :biggrin.:

Fingers crossed for March/April for vehicle month so it doesn't mess with my schedule! :tongue.:.

Bolter Scouts should be up by the end of the week.

Cheers,

Valaas

Hi All,

As an interlude to the Bolter Scouts going up tomorrow thought you might like to see the progress on the 'War Room', this is the hobby heaven in my house and was only possible after moving into a house with a double garage a year or so ago (and a long suffering wife). This is now the main gaming location of my close group of gaming buddies.

It is very much a work in progress improving all the time (put in a work bench last week), and gradually expanding my terrain.

The Plan

1 Table Design zpsuvhqu0of

The starting point:

2 War Room   Start zpsfh4rklvp

Mid Frame Build:

3 Frame zpsongyb6ml

Frame Complete

board3 zps9o0adn5d

board2 zpshi8nizir

In Table storage:

5 In board storage zpsiraa7d1v

Beer Fridge and Shelving:

4 Unpainted zpsw3zuewpy

Board Tile Racks:

7 Tile Racks zpskopbhlgz

Winter Wilderness:

8 Painted 1 zpsw6vpuoyc

9 Painted 2 zpsdq74ec0b

Some Scatter Terrain:

IMG_5112_zpsfqr4ivne.jpg

IMG_5108_zpsqgme9m61 - Copy.jpg

IMG_5107_zpsiv76xeap.jpg

IMG_5103_zpswswpthhj.jpg

IMG 5096 zpsstqaze8v

IMG 5029

IMG 5028 zpsghafwb3d

Current WIP:- Strongpoint

IMG 5052 zpsq1mpi06t

IMG 4936

Hope you guys like it and if you do, I'll occasionally post an update on the 'War Room'

As always comments, suggestions and questions always welcome.

Cheers,

Valaas

Thank's guys,

The other benefit of the void below the surface tiles is that you can build 3D tiles that are sunken into the board......first one planed is a canal system as part of a city fight board.

Cheers,

Valaas

Holy Smokes!  That sword belong to Blade!  He needs it back to save us all.  Shame on you!

Well Spotted!

As for Blade....finders keeper's

I hope that Blade didn't take your Fingers off when you picked it up?... :tongue.:

The war room is excellent,one day when i actually can afford to buy a house (Damn you Australian house prices :furious: ) i'd love to do something like that :thumbsup: 

Well done terrain too !!

Mithril 

Archived