Mithril's - Raptor's 2nd Co Wip/plog.

MithrilForge

How'd the shapeways shoulder pads go?

How smooth are they? Can you tell they've been 3D printed after you've painted them?

Im considering getting some for my RG seeing as the FW ones face the wrong way for mk6 and don't have mk7.

How'd the shapeways shoulder pads go?

How smooth are they? Can you tell they've been 3D printed after you've painted them?

Im considering getting some for my RG seeing as the FW ones face the wrong way for mk6 and don't have mk7.

They are pretty Awesome wub.png i'd recommend getting them, i have painted one up and stuck it on Marine-0 , will put a pic up tomorrow for you to see, DeathspectreSgt has used practically hundreds of em in his blog stuff and he sings praise too. the symbol is a wee bit raised but i think it add's to the sharpness of definition seeing em on the tabletop thumbsup.gif

Cheers Mithril

@ duz_ - make sure you choose the correct sided pad tongue.png for your models, they have a lot of deathwatch pads which are on the wrong side for codex chapters ohmy.png ...don't go getting them mixed up !

lets us see how they turn out when you get them.

cheers, Mithril

Oh dearmellow.png ,

I do understand...i really must finish something for you to look at, i apologise and will attempt to finish my chappie tonight biggrin.png

although i got a massive revelation about his backpack(now a jumppack) yesterday so i think it was a good thing i haven't finished him msn-wink.gif

if i can i may magnetise it later...

Cheers, Mithril

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update- found the right jump pack for the chaplain, base coats are on thumbsup.gif

Looking really nice, already. Mind me asking what's your bone recipe for the Chaplain's helmet?

Well sweat.gif it doesn't look it but that was based with white spray and i started with a reikland wash to make all the details stand out,then i started from zandri dust (watered down to a wash consistency) and progressively washed it working from outside in to the middle points then VERY carefully inked the cracks with an Agrax/Nuln mix

Layers -

1- Zandri wash

2- Zandri/Ushabti wash

3- Ushabti wash

4- Ushabti/White wash

5 - light wash of White.

the photo's hardly show the work but up close he looks great cool.png it actually looks like an old and faded skull...

cheers, Mithril

Curious, how did you glue the wings to the back of the chaplain?

I noticed the SG torsos have mounting lugs on them specifically for that. I.had always assumed it would form part of the jump pack. The Cassius KT model is an integrated model so I couldn't switch out the torso even if I wanted to.

I got mine on with patience and a lot of plastic glue.

Ill be honest, the first time I opened this up to see what the update was, I wasn't fully into it, and by "it", I mean the choice to do him in olive drab rather than traditional black. Now that I have come back to it over and over the last few days, it has grown on me greatly. Really hoping we get more photos of him to fully appreciate it! (Also photos of Marine-0 with that shapeways pad too!)

Well Done!

• 2 weeks later...

Ill be honest, the first time I opened this up to see what the update was, I wasn't fully into it, and by "it", I mean the choice to do him in olive drab rather than traditional black. Now that I have come back to it over and over the last few days, it has grown on me greatly. Really hoping we get more photos of him to fully appreciate it! (Also photos of Marine-0 with that shapeways pad too!)

Well Done!

Chaplains finished, pics tomorrow(just got back to work today) will do a couple angles so Duz can see that i glued the wings to the pack by trimming the joins to be flat so as to be glued a bit more solidly, as yes!, i saw that the sang guard have the plug type parts for a stronger connection dry.png

his base is done too and i'm working on an idea for helmet colours for my tactical troopers i came up with over the break...pic tomorrow as well

...oh and also a pic of Marine-0 blush.png ...so you can see the shapeways pad painted

thanks for looking guys

...and a happy new year to the fraters here at the Ravenspire.

Cheers, Mithril

Update time...

Chaplain -

med_gallery_9146_7882_1520509.jpg med_gallery_9146_7882_162234.jpg

Marine"0" shoulder pad -

med_gallery_9146_7882_772716.jpg

test scheme for standard tac squad marine, tac symbol right side,squad number left side... yellow face plate for 2nd Co.

med_gallery_9146_7882_1818593.jpg med_gallery_9146_7882_902557.jpg

and Sgt's helm...and WiP of him

med_gallery_9146_7882_848757.jpgmed_gallery_9146_7882_139639.jpg

med_gallery_9146_7882_381672.jpg

Cheers, Mithril

blink.png

Paint.

A.

Tank.

Funny you say that i have a Whirlwind on the block after this squad is done...it's undercoated and has its base of Averland...all ready for some deathworld forest devil.gif

just gotta pull out the proverbial and get these guys done.

thanks for looking thumbsup.gif

hey Race any C&C on the helmet markings...ermm.gif was kinda looking for some type of feedback of "am i going in an ok direction" or is it just yucky.gif ...

Cheers, Mithril

Liking the the work as usual! I think the sgt helm looks good with the markings. Kinda fits the theme / scheme too.

That's probably how I would have mounted my wings too if I'd gone for that pose. I didn't trim mine though. I wasn't 100% on how it was going to line up and wanted as much plastic as possible to lather plastic glue on! I could attempt to try and tidy up now, but I doubt most people will notice.

Well, in my most humble opinion:  the scheme you have going looks great :tu:  Without official specs from GW or FW (unless you can glean a pattern from IA9 [i think]), then it really is what you want it to be.

I'm surious about the Sgt though.  Is he a Veteran?  If so, then let me guess your plan to be sure:

2nd-9th Company Dudes = face Co color (as above)

2nd-9th Company Sgt Dude = face / helm Co color

2nd-9th Company Vet Sgt Dude = face white /  helm Co color (as above)

1st Company Veteran Dude = face white 

1st Company Veteran Sgt Dude = face / helm white

Am I right?  With the company color on the helm, I'm not a fan of the knee pads matching, although I get that it breaks the green up.

If the tactical marking goes on the right side of helmet, what goes on the right shoulder?

The Chaplain is simply top shelf. :tu:

Thanks for the feedback guys happy.png

I had worked out the base look of the helm colours the other Day at my annual after Christmas painting day with my mate, We were discussing my armies plan for colours and the face plate inspiration came from that, so i tested it out and it worked very well on the standard guys helm and we were then left wondering what the Vet Sgt's helm would be and white just matched well, perhaps the white and yellow helm is a good look for Vet Sgt,so i may have to see if adding a red faceplate for a Standard Sgt will work unsure.png...

Regarding the Stern Guard, i think we came up with an all yellow helm being - Yellow face plate= 2nd Co, Yellow helm top= Veteran status....

Vanguard Veterans were where we hit a wall for a bit but decided that a Bone colour would suit them pretty well...just not sure in which combo i don't think a yellow nose and bone helm may work on beakies (all my VV will be beakies) the other option is all Bone?...perhaps some more test helms are in order laugh.png

The knees were done before i came up with the fantastical colours and markings on the helms, so yes, i may have to rethink that,as much as i like the contrast breaker,i can see your points on it...Hmmm?!? what to do rolleyes.gif. My original thoughts (before the helms) was Sgt's had 2 x yellow knee pads which at the time would've worked well, and Special weapons & Heavy weapons gunners were going to get a single knee pad to show "oooh i'm special" status... Maybe i should do a single yellow chevron (thanks Duz_) on the knee pad just for anyone with "Veteran Status" to just break it up slightly ...what knee Left? or Right?...

Right shoulder was going to have a Futuristic/Stenciled "R" with squad Number in Stencil next to it i.e. R-2 for Raptors 2nd Squad* (i wanted it to be military/future looking a li'l bit divergent from the codex.

Note* the Number on the left side of His helm is the Marines number in "His" Squad...not his actual squad Number... so the Test Marine in the pic's above(when finished) will be Tactical Trooper No. 01 from Raptors- 2nd Co, 2nd Squad. Sgt's Numbers will always be "00" so during radio chatter in combat no one mistakes a Sgt's commands/ listens up when they hear "This is Zero Zero to all squad members"...

heh, now i want to go home and start painting tongue.png

Cheers, Mithril

*EDIT* it's going to help with playing on the tabletop i.e. wounds removal/Close combats

when someone says "i'm shooting at / attempting to hit" trooper...um....er...04 biggrin.png

Archived