Mithril's - Raptor's 2nd Co Wip/plog.

MithrilForge

If I may be so bold, why have a distinction between Stern- and Vanguard? Are they not from the same company?

msn-wink.gif Thanks Race,Not bold at all, discussion is what makes things happen and change,most times for the better... Very true statement...perhaps,on reflection i should be leaving the bone Colour for H.Q. and Command Squad members then?...

cheers, Mithril

Yeah,for sure - H.Q. / Command Squads / Honour guard would all fall into that upper echelon of elite units deserving of "bone", will probably put a small amount of gold in there somewhere on these units (but not too much) as i find gold and bone have a nice warm effect together wub.png

cheers, Mithril

@realityburn- thnx for the compliment but don't sell yourself short... everyone is capable of painting well,it's just practice practice practice thumbsup.gif you don't want to see my first space marine model blush.png ...laugh.png .

update on test Helmet i did last night -

first 2 pic's are of New helm (on left) compared to the first Vet Sgt helm idea i had... i weathered the new helm cause my stark white helm looked a bit naff, i need to practice painting crisp white helms, it didn't look good when i'd finished it (sry no pic of that) anyways i think the weathered white looks nice anyway, especially for a Raptor in the Field,only problem is i probably need to weather the whole model or it may look strange, anyway here they are...

med_gallery_9146_7882_306655.jpg med_gallery_9146_7882_166856.jpg

And on the Vet Sgt as well..

med_gallery_9146_7882_119793.jpg med_gallery_9146_7882_131623.jpg

C&C welcome biggrin.png

Cheers, Mithril

Ok, THAT makes a lot of sense organizationally because the face is still the Company color.  So, dudes from the 1st Company would get an all-white helm.  So, Sgt designation could go somewhere else like the knees.  Alternatively, the number on his helm could simply be "01" (other than his weapon loadout to signify he's the Man of the Squad).

Yeah man, this looks good :tu:

Ok, THAT makes a lot of sense organizationally because the face is still the Company color. So, dudes from the 1st Company would get an all-white helm. So, Sgt designation could go somewhere else like the knees. Alternatively, the number on his helm could simply be "01" (other than his weapon loadout to signify he's the Man of the Squad).

Yeah man, this looks good thumbsup.gif

My thoughts exactly, as discussed earlier, Vet's were getting a yellow knee chevron...perhaps the Vet Sarge can Have a Red Chevron or even a red and a yellow chevron...??

in saying that technically my non vet sgt should really have a red helm and yellow face plate... Hello Tony Stark tongue.png

Also,Does that mean that all Stern Guard and Vanguard are from the First Co then?? huh.png ...

Thanks for feedback,thumbsup.gif

Cheers, Mithril

p.s. just saw duz's_ reply -

I love the yellow helms too,but now i gotta work out who can have them based on above's made up codex breakdown...? sternguard /Vanguard..

Yeh sternguard, vanguard and terminators all form the veteran first co.

There's always not doing standard colours. ;)

Then again all my first co have white arms and helmets where appropriate.

I don't have company or squad markings on the rest of my squads either though. Its a tough one they both look good.

Ya on where Stern/Vanguard come from.

With your current scheme, I kindly recommend the chevron idea; the helmet is not the only place to show their rank.  It's just the most popular ^_^

Thanks guys, feedback appreciated happy.png

i could do the Stern/Van with all yellow helms but give them a white Knee Chevron as Race suggested?... yeah, knee pads may well be the route for rank as some of my helm idea's are cool but clash with rank idea's mellow.png ...

So sticking to codex for the moment--

White chevron = Veteran

Red Chevron = Sgt

i don't think i'll go for more chevrons than that as that's all that needs to be distinguished really...Hmm will give it some thought.

Back to painting tactical troopers while i decide,at least i know their helmet colours are locked in laugh.png

More updates in a couple days...

Cheers, Mithril

Do a double chevron like real life sergeants have.

Two white lines for veteran status.

One white line, one red line for vet Sergeant.

Edit: I'll post my kill team one of these days. Led by an old school metal chaplain w/jump pack (in dire need of a strip and repaint).

I know I'm late to the post (Been battling a wicked chest cold the last two weeks), but I have to say the pics are gorgeous wub.png I am especially a HUGE fan of the purple highlight/fade on the Chaplain wings. That shade of violet contrasts really really well with the olive drab. I would love to actually see a dark violet like that used as the wax on the purity seals rather than the standard template red, I think it would be epic.

Loving the "Marine 0" pic featuring the shapeways pad. It looks very good. I am definitely going to have to mark that under "viable options"

As for the sergeant helm, I definitely am in the camp of the Yellow Helm/White Mask. The yellow is an excellent choice. That being said, I might feel differently if the backpack yellow was replaced with a cream/bone/white color to match the helm, so the accents had thematic pull to them. Obviously your Company Color is yellow, and White denotes Veteran Status (as well as being First Companies color). I think technically speaking, going off "Codex Astartes" rules, a regular Sergeant would have just Yellow/Olive Drab on his armor, but a Veteran Sergeant would have Yellow/White/Olive Drab as his color composition.

Also its worth noting there are numerous cases fluff wise of Veteran Sergeants from First Company being seconded to squads from other companies. Many chapters view the First Company as a much more loose fraternity/club. The concept of Squads and Sergeants in First Company (from my understanding) is a much more fluid thing. Its essentially a company of heroes that the First Company Captain (First among equals) and the Chapter Master move around and dispense as needed. Obviously in the case of Sternguard/Vanguard veterans, these are classical units/squads of those said heroes, but even then, I think they have a tendency to be broken up and reformed as necessary.

My 2 cents!

• 2 weeks later...

That's looking really nice. What did you use for that weathered look?

After the base coat of Deathworld forest,a highlight of zandri dust and a recess wash of Agrax,Weathering was done with scorched brown stippled on with a sponge then leadbelcher was painted on certain "wear" area's, then it was hit with Ryza rust in crevices etc and followed with a coat of typhus corrosion to dial it back(in saying that i think i went a bit overboard on the yellow stripe side mellow.png)

the raptors symbol was a test of a stencil With Tamiya tape...it kinda worked,it just needs some edges fixed and then it will be weathered as well.

Cheers, Mithril

As a growing Raptors fanboy, I'm loving this.

Especially like the shade of green and the weathering, looking really good!

I have to agree with this. Make me want to start painting Rapors again, and maybe change my paint recipe a little!

Good job!

Thanks for all the interest and feedback guys,and to all the constructive comments... much appreciated.

I worked on the whirlwind last night and got the stormbolter done and some black stripping on the rocket launcher body, not sure whether i put a campaign symbol on the stripe or leave it bare?...i've been playing Titanfall-2 a lot lately since it came to ps4 wub.png and loved the A letter they use so was thinking of using it as the campaign badge for my army Fluff of them battling on a world called Arcadeus Prime. campaign symbol below... simple but effective rolleyes.gif

sml_gallery_9146_7882_7145.jpg

some more pics tomorrow of the Whirlwind progress ++ EDIT++ went home at lunch and got some pics.

got the stripes on both sides as close to right as i can get and the pintle's on now, what colour should the rockets body and nose cones be??!!

med_gallery_9146_7882_1018167.jpg med_gallery_9146_7882_860126.jpg

Cheers, Mithril

The weathering on your Whirlwind is so good, Mithril. I've been wondering about how stencils might work on a vehicle and yours have come up beautifully. What did you spray it with?

As for the rockets, I'd keep it muted for the tubes (maybe even olive), with just a tip of colour on the warheads.

Archived