3000pts Imperial Fist Stone Gauntlet

K3nn3rs

Except not really, and Legion Terminators are a very specific unit with a specific name and other specific rules that call them out by that specific name.  There is no grey area here. A Command Squad is a Command Squad, regardless of what armor they are wearing. There is no rule that says they transform into another unit. Justaerin Terminators are not Legion Terminators.

Yeah - thanks Brother Captain Spud, I meant to comment on those.

Regarding the Primus Medicae; I can't down grade him to another apothercary as it can't be attached to the terminator squad. The reason I want FnP on all of my breacher/ terminator squads is because they will have T5 so will have FnP against anything accept D and S10 - combined with the 5++ and 3++ (breacher shields or storm shields) it makes them very survivable which i think is a key strength for Stone Gauntlet. Without FnP I don't think T5/ stone Gauntlet is all that great/ worth taking...

I'd love to take a Chaplain with my terminators to but that would be putting too many eggs in one basket and with SG I'm limited to only one consul type (other then champions). Another way of doing it is to swap the praetor for Sigusmund (to keep the close combat punch but also get fearless on the squad) but I can't justify his presence die to the background of my army.

Would people agree that a Primus Medicae is the best consul to support a terminator squad in a stone Gauntlet list?

Regarding lascannons v missile launchers. I've got both units so can make swaps. That said at 3000 pts and without running my own LoW im concerned about enemy LoW and heavy tanks.

With a tank hunting lascannon team (protected in a bunker) a Venator (hiding behind a barricade), a scorpius (hiding behind the bunker) and if needed the spartans lascannons I think I have a decent amount of anti tank, whilst having some redundancy it I don't have first turn and start losing stuff to enemy fire.

If I swap the lascannons out I think I'm left dangerously thin on the ground when trying to deal with knights/ spartans/ super heavy tanks,etc.

I accept my AA is limited but I can't find the points to cover ever threat -hopefully I won't face a list with more then one flyer in!

This is all in my head - I haven't played at 3000pts yet, often play within a narrow pool of players/ meta and haven't run SG for some time so I'm happy to be challenged!

Thanks for the input Harrowmaster.

I haven't considered flamers. Have you had much luck with them?

I've always assumed their damage output would be limited due to most opponents taking Legion or Mechanicum forces. Due to their short range I'm not sure they'll get much use as the breachers will be largely manning the barricades. They will get charged though so wall of flame would help a little.

The idea behind the graviton guns is to provide a last option against enemy transports/ knights as they move onto my 'castle'. Combined with the augury scanners I also hope they will make the enemy over think deep strike locations and make a mistake (Leviathans in DDP)- ideally pushing them back out of augury scanner range.

A bonus is the difficult terrain they make that may slow down the enemy advance.

They are expensive though...

I find flamers help a lot if they get charged, they're quite good against anything without hardened armour thanks to the template being able to hit multiple models. Honestly if someone drops a Leviathan that close to your breachers they are probably screwed. The problem with using graviton to slow the enemy advance is the range is 18" by which time they are too close anyway.

The purpose of the graviton guns is basically to create a zone where vehicles are scared to go lest they get evaporated. With an augury scanner, they can also intercept pods and dreadnoughts arriving from deep strike. Given their limited mobility in a typical game (don't want to leave the confines of cover and go into the open), the flamers I find are too short ranged to be used offensively, and thus become purely a defensive weapon against charges.

That said, my graviton guns all count as flamers in Zone Mortalis, where they get shred and Breachers really come into their own.

The graviton guns will serve you better than flamers or melta guns   I am genuinely concerned about how this will do against Typon heavy siege tanks which are a cheap and extremely useful  low choice.  

I also agree that swapping the las cannons out is not the way to go , when you are playing a static gunline type list you might as well have the most firepower possible 

Thanks Bladewolf.

You're right Typhons are my main concern.

I can only hope for to go first and put all of my firepower into it!/ lock it down with the Venator.

The bunkers there to help keep the lascannon team in the fight but in reality it only seems to help for one turn

Its a good list and sounds like you have a pretty solid plan for LoWs you may come up against.

I completely agree that the whole advantage of SG, a RoW which really comes into its own in bigger games, is survivability.

I still thin your biggest weakness will be high kill power flyers ie fire raptors or the like. Not sure how prevalent they are in your area but from what you've said it sounds like super heavy tanks and knights are more common. At any rate with 6 lascannons you may be able to get penetrating hits on them snap shotting if you're lucky.

Good luck

Archived