Harbingers of Taelus: 30K Iron Hands (plus extras)

Ascanius

Heh. The green represents the fact that green is my favourite colour!

Their green armour is the reason I picked the Sons of Medusa as my chapter back when I started painting a few years ago - though the shade of green I use is darker than the apple green of the official scheme. It just so happened that they also tied into my degree in religion; it's purely coincidental, but the idea of a chapter that exists because of a religious schism caught my eye. I've always liked the Iron Hands for their aesthetic of brutal bionics, so a green Iron Hands successor that exists because of a religious schism was a bit of a jackpot.

Obviously, that's also why I painted the Iron Hands in this thread in a dark metallic green with silver helmets. As my first post says, they're supposed to be a visual reference to my existing Sons of Medusa, and I suppose I also figured they could be the equivalent of veteran squads with different heraldry like the Deathwing if I ever wanted to play them all together.

With 8th Edition, though, I thought I might come up with my own scheme just so I have a little bit more freedom to do something a bit different, since the Sons of Medusa are really supposed to be green all over with white, silver, or black helmets, plus maybe a few other details like pauldron trim or parts of the chapter icon matching the helmet. Hence the post above.

I still like the colours, though, so I figured I'd reuse them; my original idea was more like the Iron Lords with green instead of red:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/0/04/Iron_lords_Space_Marine.jpg

. . . but I started playing around with adding other green parts, like green arms with black gauntlets to match the way the Iron Lords' legs are painted, but then I tried the green pauldrons and I liked that look better.

I think I want a darker green than the one in the image in my previous post, but not as dark as the one for these Iron Hands. I may also use a darker silver; I saw a fantastic silver tone on Twitter the other day that I loved, and it turns out to be dead simple: Leadbelcher, then an all-over wash of a 50/50 mix of Nuln Oil and Nuln Oil Gloss. Genius.

It may be too dark altogether to do black + dark green + that duller silver tone, so I'll see.

WIP of the Contemptor, with Blood for the Blood God applied:

37222505290_7b4689ce27.jpg

I used a method recommended elsewhere of loading the brush and blowing through the brush protector tube to create the spatter, which is how I got that fortuitous blob on the "helmet" that I'd never have put there myself.

Technically . . . very technically . . . I'm all but done with this project.

23782207828_8fc9e2a17d.jpg

(click to enlarge)

I still need to neaten the brown rim of the base, but that's it.

I do have an Iron Hands transfer sheet that I could use to jazz Aulus here up a bit, but I don't have the necessary MicroSol and MicroSet to mess around with that just yet.

• 2 weeks later...