Techmarine Dreadnought

Marcelis

Hi folks,

This year for Dreadtober I converted and painted this Dark Angels Deathwatch Techmarine Dreadnought (even the name is OTT!). I used to have a Dark Angels Techmarine in a Deathwatch RPG campaign. We played a big 40K game after the campaign ended and my character was eventually killed by a Scythed Hierodule, of all things. So this is a homage to my Techmarine, who may not have been quite as dead as first thought msn-wink.gif

gallery_11037_12584_395414.jpg

gallery_11037_12584_1206742.jpg

gallery_11037_12584_308070.jpg

The servo-arms were made from Ork Killa Kan bits. After cutting/filing off all of the heathen spikes and rubbish, they look far more... legitimate.

gallery_11037_12584_807964.jpg

For the base I used some rusty old barrels and a laser cut fern. The weathering was applied using stippling; I have never tried rusted iron before, so any advice would be welcome.

gallery_11037_12584_59376.jpg

Cheers!

I actually really like this idea!

A dread who supports other dreads with repairs on the fly biggrin.png

I figured that a Dreadnought would find it impossible to stand up if it got knocked over, so I wanted the claw to be big enough to help lift another dreadnought. Something that size could make some great last minute fortifications too msn-wink.gif

Ha! What a great idea, well executed too. Ever since the FW Chaplain Dread I liked the idea of a full Dreadnought Command section.

Thanks mate! I had the same idea and this Dreadnought is my sixth addition to the section:

gallery_11037_12584_579933.jpg

I really like this. Nice concept well executed and some nice paint work to boot. All in all, highly impressive. biggrin.png

Tried something similar myself a while ago and also went with the ironclad. Thought about killa kan bits, but went for sentinel legs in the end.

On the off-chance you're interested this was my shot at it.(http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/304809-the-diades-class-techmarine-dreadnought/page-2?hl=%2Bdiades&do=findComment&comment=4039307) smile.png

Any which way, loving your work! Keep it up! I look forward to whatever you unleash next! msn-wink.gif

Cheers,

Graymane.

Tried something similar myself a while ago and also went with the ironclad. Thought about killa kan bits, but went for sentinel legs in the end.

On the off-chance you're interested this was my shot at it.(http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/304809-the-diades-class-techmarine-dreadnought/page-2?hl=%2Bdiades&do=findComment&comment=4039307) smile.png

Thanks Graymane: your Dread is fantastic! I was wondering if anyone else had every given a Techmarine Dreadnought a go, but had such a lot of trouble finding any examples. I should have known to look here tongue.png Next year for Dreadtober I'll probably be working on a Librarian Dreadnought, though the idea of an Apothecary Dread (designed to rescue and preserve the ancient marines from other disabled Dreadnoughts) makes me giggle on the inside just a little bit laugh.png Cheers!

• 6 months later...

What bitz/parts/thingies did you use for the grabby claw thingy coming from its top, if that the right word?

Edit:top...

I made the servo arm using parts from an Ork Killa Kan! The pincers are the stubby legs of the Killa and one of the hip joints. The arm is the Killa's own arm with the saw blade appendage removed. Here is a step-by-step tutorial:

http://oldschoolg4m1ng.blogspot.com.au/2016/10/dreadtober-dreadnought-servo-arms.html

gallery_11037_12584_579933.jpg

Is the second from the left a Blood Angels Librarian Dteadnought model turned Dark Angels Chaplain (or Interrogator-Chaplain) Dreadnought? The conversion is well done. Converting the force halberd into a crozius is a good idea.

It sure is biggrin.png I sculpted a hood over the Chaplain's skull helmet and replaced the rest of the sarcophagus with a trimmed Dark Angels Veteran torso. I used the Flamestorm cannon from a Landraider Redeemer, with some old drums to represent the promethium fuel tanks. The crozius was really easy, but a characterful addition; just two Dark Angels icons filed and glued back-to-back. Glad you like it, he's one of my favourites msn-wink.gif

Woah, I lvoe this concept! Always cool to see original ideas like this on the B&C. Everything looks like it belongs on the dread as well; none of the kitbashing and bits look out of place. A fantastic bit of hobby work!! 

The whole dreadnaught detachment looks pretty darn good if I do say so myself. 

Archived