Baneblade chassis Superheavies performance in the Heresy

GreyCrow

Hey guys!

I'm on a trip and far from my Heresy rulebooks and I have a great opportunity for a Baneblade box. I remember that the Legiones could field some variants of the Baneblade chassis.

I can't remember which exactly, but I'm curious as for your feedback on how the different available variants performed in Heresy battles!

Baneblade: nice variant, optimal vs infantry, with the apocalictic blast, but it's really expensive, and to use the demolition cannon you have to get close-range, opening up the side faces, less durable than the front.

Shadowsword: as far as i know the best (with the stormsword) of the 4 versions. 120" strength D large blast tears down vehicles without difficulties, and can remain in the back, protected by the rest of the army.

Stormlord: it can seem a nice assalut transport, but you have to get near the enemy, leaving unprotected to enemy's antitank firepower your sides. As far as i know, the worst of the 4.

Stormsword: the big cousin of the typhoon. Maxed out it has a 36" stregth 10 ap 2 ignore cover, apocalictic blast and 4 lascannons (along with 5 tl heavy bolters), making him devastating agains infantry and a pain in the back for the vehicles.

My 2 poor cents

Stormsword hands down.

I've actually tested all variants out using a friend's Baneblade as the proxy for all tanks.

The Stormsword is basically a superior Typhon, far nicer kit and cheaper. It has a delicate posterior but that makes it more fun lol, in truth it's easy to protect. The blast is so big you literally can't miss, and it's utterly devastating. I've actually managed to cover 20 models under one during a game.

The Shadowsword is underwhelming. The D blast generally performs much worse over a game. 5/6 times people are still getting cover saves/invul saves against it, the blast is smaller and it can scatter easily, also you're hitting fewer models.

Baneblade is a far inferior Fellblade and not much cheaper in points. I wouldn't bother.

Stormlord is an amazing utility Super Heavy. You can transport an entire assault army in one but it can be chipped away. As you advance you leave the lower av sides exposed. Can definitely work though, and the main Gatling Cannon is brilliant.

Baneblade has AP2 on main weapon large blast, the fellblade does not. Huge difference.

The stormlord is a mobile bunker, but it does best if it doesn't move and you use it as a weapons platform. Since Astartes have good transport options and want to get close and have overcost infantry heavy weapons, it's not that useful.

They're all good. My fav two are the 'Sword and 'Lord.

40 transport capacity drifting up a flank and then eating it's was down the length of the board, unleashing the BRRRT, disgorging punchy units, with some plasma support inside unloading shots sounds delicious. Play Deja Vu for maximum effect.

The 'Sword is a straight upgrade to the Typhon imho; Effective 48" range, bigger blast, and a suite of secondary weapons is pure pain.

Sure they don't have max armor but they are super heavies and have 9HPs. The 'Sword can start in reserves, drive on in the right place, and hit anything on the board you want. The 'Lord needs to get close, but you don't have to drive it at the enemy guns in the dead center of the board.

• 1 month later...

Having bought the baneblade kit I have a few questions if anyone could be so kind:

Where would you find the up to date rules for StormSword - would it be the Escalation expansion?

Is there any issue including it in a 30K legion?

IS the Space Marine Crew upgrade an available option?

Anyone know which bits not to glue in order to have a few of the different builds (primary use will be stormsword or shadowsword)

Is the stormsword as effective at anti-tank as shadowsword given the strength and primary weapon status?

Stormsword is in Escalation.

It can take a Marine Crew as well, and it's a LoW for any Marine Legion.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to break down the points but the way I've built mine comes to 550.

This includes the Stormsword with Marine Crew upgrade, and a pair of Las Cannons and Heavy Bolters in addition. 9 TL HB shots, 2 Las Cannons and the Apocalyptic Blast is pretty great.

It's pretty effective at Anti Tank because of the Primary Weapon rule giving you two dice to roll for penetration, picking the highest. With Ignore cover there's a great chance to do damage and a 1/3 chance to outright destroy any Tank you pen.

It's much better all round than the Shadowsword. The only changes you need to make to run a Shadowsword is the turret and the removal of the front hull Heavy Bolter.

Archived