Soraf

This blog will be used to share progress on my Heresy Blood Angels army. All of the legions are cool, and I think most of us have wanted to collect or paint all of them at some point. For me, the IXth legion has held the most consistent appeal, and I will only get more into them as Forge World starts releasing more content relevant to them.

I will continually upload completed pictures of models as they are finished.

To start, this is the first squad I completed as part of this project.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

gallery_70944_12596_112080.jpg

gallery_70944_12596_212763.jpg

gallery_70944_12596_76674.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A few minor embellishments to add IXth legion flavour include: Legion specific torso and helmet upgrades and waist guards which were modelled from greenstuff, based on the depictions in the collected visions book.

These were the first models I used to optimize the colour scheme. I intend to add more assault marines to my army in the future, with more dynamic posing if possible.

I have a huge backlog, including working through the majority of an unassembled and unopened BaC box. I have managed to finish some of the material from there though.

This is a tactical squad I painted.

gallery_70944_12596_175765.jpg
gallery_70944_12596_12157.jpg
gallery_70944_12596_125390.jpg

I enjoy the detail and intricacy of what FW makes immensely, but working with, and painting plastic is far easier and more consistent than resin.
A Cortus Contemptor with some added features.
gallery_70944_12596_234000.jpg
gallery_70944_12596_199087.jpg
The melta and power fist are modular, so can be swapped out, I converted the helmet and chest with greenstuff, there are some imperfections because I haven't been sculpting for too long, but i'm not collecting Emperor's Children so don't need to be so fussed about it msn-wink.gif.

I quite like dreadnoughts simply for the fact that you can add a lot of other features to them that make them more unique.

I've also done despoilers, their rhino transports aren't completed yet, but i'll post pictures of them together once those are done.

gallery_70944_12596_147740.jpg
gallery_70944_12596_29526.jpg

gallery_70944_12596_150731.jpg

I wanted to deviate and make a more veteran type squad of despoiler marines that had varied marks of power armor, so I combined some a MKIV and MKII squad. In retrospect, I would have mixed their armor up more with some MKIII to add to that sense of uniqueness.

Have to say they look great. Please don't be a stranger to the 40k BA sub-forum as we'd love to see you show this stuff off there too.

How do I add it there, im sort of new to posting here

This is a leviathan contemptor outfitted for close quarter combat.

gallery_70944_12596_210062.jpg

I consdier this build quite special, and its probably my favourite so far. I heavily customised this leviathan using greenstuff and a lot of patience, but am really happy how he turned out. He is missing the characteristic nipple assault cannons, but will get them eventually. The arms can be removed and replaced, but I like the notion of a CCW equipped leviathan tearing through a horde of heretics with reckless abandon so might keep him that way.

Inspirational smile.png

If you have any weathering techniques you can share I'd be all ears!

I do the chipped paint/scratch effect. Theres a neat vid on warhammertv that shows how to do it.

Basically for red, stipple or streak black, and then "highlight" underneath the black area with whatever you use to do edge highlghts (for these, VGC elfic flesh and VMC orange red. 50:50)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

gallery_70944_12596_1352137.jpg

gallery_70944_12596_867534.jpg

Some outriders I did a while back.

Some people have asked how the scheme works for this red. Its as follows:

1. Preshade from black to bone with airbrush, use the zenithal highlighting method

2. Basecoat layer 1 (vallejo air hull red) over the preshade

3. Basecoat layer 2 (vallejo air fire red) over layer 1 in zenithal pattern highlight

4. Basecoat layer 3 (vallejo scarlet red) over the upper half of the model

5. Brushblend VMC orange red over the panels most exposed to light

6. Glaze the over VMC orange with diluted scarlet red (1-3 thin coats)

7. Develop contrast by washing the shadows and recesses with druuchiviolet up to seraphim sepia

8. Edge highlight panels with VMC orange red

9. Finer edge highlight with 50:50 VMC orange red and flesh tone

9 steps for the IXth legion.

I have more things ive been working on, but its been a matter of making time between uni and work.

I'm holding off on adding more details and heraldry until Angelus drops, so for now its just generic legion iconography. I hate doing bases so it might be all I do for them. Do you have any recommendations? they do look a bit plain.

Not sure what i'll do with HQ atm, I have a bunch of praetor models lying around that could be made into something. not sure yet.

I hate doing bases so it might be all I do for them. Do you have any recommendations? they do look a bit plain.

The bases look good to me, the marble effect sits really well withthe BA.

One thing I have found is that sand needs multiple layers of paint to look good. All the same colour looks bad and clumpy - you can kind of see this on the front of the base on the leftmost bike here

gallery_70944_12596_867534.jpg

I'd hit this with a thinned agrax wash all over the sand, and in teh cracks in teh marble stuff, or agrax+nuln oil, to add some depth.

Archived