Soraf

I hate doing bases so it might be all I do for them. Do you have any recommendations? they do look a bit plain.

The bases look good to me, the marble effect sits really well withthe BA.

One thing I have found is that sand needs multiple layers of paint to look good. All the same colour looks bad and clumpy - you can kind of see this on the front of the base on the leftmost bike here

I'd hit this with a thinned agrax wash all over the sand, and in teh cracks in teh marble stuff, or agrax+nuln oil, to add some depth.

I'll give it a go, I was also considering weathering pigments e.g. whats used for the FW display models to give it a more sand-like colour. I was aiming for a more urban/palace ruins theme so that it would seem like these guys are at the Cathedral of the mark (in signus) or fighting in the ruins of terra. 

Very dynamic models. Awesome job. 

I specifically like the powerfist marine, the black and red is awesome.

Black and red match so nicely. Your models are no exception. Keep up the good work!

Only thing I'm not too fond of are the golden groin pads. Think the minis look better without the shine :)

I'm holding off on adding more details and heraldry until Angelus drops, so for now its just generic legion iconography. I hate doing bases so it might be all I do for them. Do you have any recommendations? they do look a bit plain.

Not sure what i'll do with HQ atm, I have a bunch of praetor models lying around that could be made into something. not sure yet.

To keep it simple I'd add a heavy black wash (to be fair I'd 50/50 black with agrax) then highlight back to the current colour with dry brushing so the details on the base have more contrast.

Great stuff - are those transfers on the pads or freehand?

Transfers I got off a friend

Very dynamic models. Awesome job.

I specifically like the powerfist marine, the black and red is awesome.

Black and red match so nicely. Your models are no exception. Keep up the good work!

Only thing I'm not too fond of are the golden groin pads. Think the minis look better without the shine smile.png

They're an attempt at the collected visions artwork but i wasn't very good with greenstuff when i did them so i'd do it differently a second time around

Really beautiful Angels.

Subtle conversion work and a great quality of painting, some of the best Heresy Blood Angels I've seen.

My only critique would be about your marble effect on the black, and on the white bases. In practice it's probably fine, but the veins come across a bit too stark, I'd recommend doing a watered down glaze over them to help mute and blend them into your base colors to give them a more natural feel. An Abaddon black glaze for the shoulder and whatever white/grey used for the white marble on the bases.

Really beautiful Angels.

Subtle conversion work and a great quality of painting, some of the best Heresy Blood Angels I've seen.

My only critique would be about your marble effect on the black, and on the white bases. In practice it's probably fine, but the veins come across a bit too stark, I'd recommend doing a watered down glaze over them to help mute and blend them into your base colors to give them a more natural feel. An Abaddon black glaze for the shoulder and whatever white/grey used for the white marble on the baYeah

Thanks for the feedback and complements, I've followed your Thousand Sons and Legio II thread and admire the work and imaginative input that you put into them so it means a lot. I'll be optimizing the marbling on my tanks, troops and flyers. As for the basing im just contemplating changing the scheme over to something with a bit more earthy/grey tones. 

• 2 weeks later...

Scimitars. I will most likely stick them on some bases, but once I figure out how i will be basing the rest of the currently done models. I've been working on optimising the marbling. I think the camera and way i take pictures accentuates the grey lines a bit more than to the eye.

gallery_70944_12596_482444.jpg

gallery_70944_12596_370523.jpg

I'm also starting custodes soon. I will be finishing the rest of my unpainted BA models (still a lot left, so watch this space!) and then wait until Angelus is released before I start adding more.

Wow! Do you happen to have a walk through for that filigree work on the speeder/grav bikes? It's exceptional work. It looks free hand but it's far to consistent to my eye, I gots to know how you did this and if it is a true free hand bravo my man. 

Wow! Do you happen to have a walk through for that filigree work on the speeder/grav bikes? It's exceptional work. It looks free hand but it's far to consistent to my eye, I gots to know how you did this and if it is a true free hand bravo my man. 

Yes, you're correct II wasn't going to risk freehanding that particular filigree multiple times over. But basically I just found some vectors on google image, printed them in black as transfers, and then painted over them in gold.

This is mainly because i only have an inkjet, and im printing on clear paper. I could have printed a pre-coloured one on white transfer paper, but the white shows on the model so it couldnt have been done that way.

• 2 weeks later...

New update.

Finished some Rhinos and took a group photo.

I've almost finished my BA backlog - just a sicaran, xiphon, praetor and 1 assault squad left. I have something a bit special planned for the second assault squad, mainly practicing more sculpting skills so they should be interesting to work on. I'm also looking to beef up all of my assault squads to 15-man. I'd will refine this army to be a fast attack/assault army, so I want a lot of jump marines and faster moving things, but of course balanced and able to handle most threats well.

For now here's some new stuff:

gallery_70944_12596_177846.jpg

Rhinos posed with the Leviathan from earlier. Just got the lighting good no this shot.

gallery_70944_12596_46601.jpg

Rhino 1

gallery_70944_12596_188959.jpg

Rhino 2

I've been trying a new method for the black marbling and used my Rhinos for practice. What do you guys think? Also, im waiting on some weathering powders so the bases and vehicles will recieve just a touch more work at some later point.

Here's all the completed elements of my BA so far.

gallery_70944_12596_91822.jpg

I need to think up some fluff for them (company, strategic tendencies) and work on my HQ units, but i might wait until Angelus releases (and work on some Custodes/Iron Warriors) before adding more things to my IXth.

Archived