• 2 weeks later...
The ground shook beneath the weight of this new beast, it's menace pulsing through the earth as it devoured the ground between them. Howls reverberated within her iron belly. Hrist had arrived, full of anger.

A very silver spartan:

DSC 0676 (2)

Base coated:

DSC 0679 (2)

Since covered in wash and it's looking terrible so an evening of tidying up ahead.

The Spartan washed and tidied. Waiting on Inferno before I apply decals, and therefore weathering is on hold too. Managed to damage the front plate scraping off the aquila, the dry brushing highlights the scratches so will have to look at putting something over that or some heavy damage perhaps.

Definitely needs a little colour too.

DSC 0680

• 3 weeks later...

The MKIIIs are really fun to paint, well 20 of them aren't so im going in batches of 5.

DSC 0714

Little too much wash on the sarge / huscarl!

DSC 0716

Yes the imminent Inferno release has got me motivated to get all 20 done by the weekend.

The never ending sea of grey.

DSC 0721

If I complete these 40 tacticals it will be the most I've ever painted for one army which is an achievement in itself however I am a bit peeved that upon completion I will still need to build at least 2 grey slayer squads. Will run these as slayers in the meantime till the upgrade packs come out I guess, was really looking forward to "Fury of the Legion"-ing someone though.

DSC 0735

Getting there.... 90% done, just need pack markings, legion decals, eyes, edge highlights...... wait more like 75%.

Got a load of parts in to build Vets, Tartaros Bodyguard, 5 more Cataphractii, 15 sisters and maybe some deathsworn so eager to get these finished first.

Those stunty helmets look amazing on the termies, totally stealing that idea for my Varagyr.

As far as topknots for the termies go, I have personally got a lot of mileage out of scalping Ork Boyz for theirs.

Check with any stunty players you know as depending on how they have built their unit they could have a whole set spare.

Yeah do have a few ork ones around somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Balor  'Evil Eye' and his pack.

DSC 0758

DSC 0763

DSC 0756

DSC 0760

Finally finished these chaps a year after the first 10! They were intended as a Tactical squad but will be run as Grey Slayers until I build something more specific. Another pack of 20 MKIIIs is close behind too.

Thanks chaps, takes a good photo to spot a few things still to finish, Balor's eye patch and the bald fella's skin need some work.

It's extremely satisfying to have a large unit completed. I have another 20 strong tactical nearly done, will complete Cataphractii and a few characters then back to 2 units of Grey Slayers. Thinking 15 strong rather than 20 to make them a bit easier to manoeuvre(sic??) on the board. Unless someone advises otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, is there anything stopping the legion standard bearer of a terminator bodyguard (the HQ option) from having a pair of lightning claws? Indeed does the standard take up a weapon slot at all? Does it alter his attacks?

My Praetor has paragon blade and combi melta. I want these guys to go toe to toe with enemy elites as well as threaten vehicles. 

I'm thinking:

Standard Bearer with 2 claws and grenade harness.

2 chosen with claws

1 chosen with combi melta & chainfist

Last one either combi melta & thunder hammer perhaps? He would potentially get dropped so they could ride in a Phobos if/when I get one.

Any advice appreciated, close to completing the bodies so need to get a loadout sorted  before i commit to the build.

Finished the next 20, on a bit of a roll, still at glacial pace but probably will never be doing squads this size again so rest should be a breeze in comparison.

Also completed the contemptor, was thinking of some decals but don't want to do it just for the sake of it.

Turi "The Bear" and his pack:

17457906 10156550297167837 620352293043374442 N

17435984 10156550299032837 4977786465864157299 O

17434574 10156550297692837 8640712895670716463 O

17492693 10156550297542837 1954910072269217654 O

Hjort Domhnaill:

17457936 10156550298562837 3230536662515047013 N

Thanks man. Some of the highlighting isn't as natural as I'd like in these pics but they look fine in real life, really tempted to weather them but think I need to just leave them alone now and get to work on my terminators.

• 2 weeks later...

So had my first proper game of 30K, (having previously beat a weird 40K dark angel / khorne deamonkin ally list) and was resoundly crushed by some World Eaters.

Waiting for the world eaters to turn up.

DSC 0798 (2)

I played 2.5K Bloodied Claw, just what I had painted so I was lacking any serious anti -tank which was an issue because he had a spartan, a sicaran venator, a vindicatior laser destroyer, a rhino, 2 cortus dreads and a LEVIATHAN! I did however have double the infantry that he had. So i just charged across the board, forgetting the objective counters and hoping for the best.

DSC 0800 (3)

Disabled a dread with my spartan, which i had to cautiously manouvre as the venator and destroyer had most of the board covered. I did manage to limit shots to it and it survived the game, eventually immobilising leviathan too. Flare shield really helped it survive.

DSC 0802 (2)

My Vargyrs and Praetor popped his spartan but were eventually obliterated by his Red Butchers with Praetor (so. many. attacks.) and its clear the extra wound makes a difference. I killed 2 in reply he killed 4 first round.

DSC 0801 (2)

Grey slayer squad popped a rhino with furious charge (may have been a melta bomb too), which blocked off his tactical squad and rampagers.

Notable performance by 5 recon marines who assaulted venator, limiting its movement to a tank shock and denying it shots on my dread and spartan. Then my tech marine took the venators main weapon off with his thunder hammer which was extremely satisfying. 

My assault squad wiped out a tactical before being taken out by the red butchers.

My Caster of Runes rolled iron arm and warp speed but only managed to get iron arm off before assaulting immobilized leviathan where he put it down to one hull point before getting torn apart. Warp speed would have probably assisted in the last HP.

Rampagers eventually beat and run down my remaining grey slayer squad though speaker of the dead did for a few of them. I forgot i had vexilias which could have made a difference to the fates of both slayer squads.

Learnt a lot anyway, need some antitank obviously. Need power weapons in my grey slayers, these were built as tacticals before inferno came out. I found that I put out plenty of attacks, hits and wounds but couldn't negate the saves. The world eaters hit back hard, i look forward to revenge but also to playing against a different legion where the edge in combat should be quite pronounced.

Archived