Iron Hands 1250 list

Herald of Magnus

Hey guys, sorry if this is necro or something, after finding out about pride of the legion I really wanted to make use of my terminators but it's only 1250 points so I thought I'd update my list to be this:

Aurek Mor

Gorgons x5, cyber familiar 

Terminators, cataphractii, 2 chain fists, 3 lightning claws. x5

Predator, executioner cannon + las

Dreadnought x2 plas cannon

Contemptor Cortus, kheres assault cannon..

//Do you think this is any better at all maybe? Worse? I don't know, I want to make use of terminators and make it another tough list, should I swap the dreadnoughts for a tactical squad though? I'm just not sure!

I would add termies or vets instead of dreads, you can turn the plasma dread to BS 5 by making him a mortis for free. Again you lack ranged antitank,  magna melta on the predator with command tank and outflank could be a cheaper alternative, adding a 2nd instead of a dread. I would also put the familiar on a cataphractii for sweet 3++

ex

autek

gorgons

termis

2preds, magnamelta, command tank

cortus

pred or cortus swapable by more vets/termis

@noigrim, you need 3 Predators in order to upgrade one to a Squadron Command Tank. And how is it Outflanking when you suggest he runs "PotL"? Also, there's no such thing as a Mortis Dread with plasma cannons.

@kirat1, "Pride of the Legion" and "Primarch's Chosen" require that you have more units with the Legiones Astartes rule than units without the rule. You have 3 with it (Mor, Gorgons & Cataphractii) and 3 without it (Predator, Dreadnought Talon, Cortus).

At 1250 points, I would go for something a bit more balanced. Mor is a beast. Love him. But at this points level he makes things hard. You won't achieve much by footslogging Cataphractii across the board, so then you need a Land Raider or Spartan, which is just too many points. "PotL" also locks you into a set build.

205 points gets you 10 Tactical Marines, vexilla, Sergeant with artificer armour & melta bombs, in a Rhino with dozer blade & multi-melta. This unit is cheap and scoring. The utility of the multi-melta Rhino cannot be underestimated, and having a 2+ save on the Sergeant means he can tank non-AP2 wounds for the squad. I'd take 2 squads for your Compulsory Troops.

As noigrim suggested, Castrmen Orth is a bargain HQ that also makes a Tank awesome. The Sicaran Battle Tank in particular gains a lot out of his Tank Hunters and BS5.

You mentioned Plasma Predators? They are awesome! Good choice. Mortis Dreads are also awesome.

When you want to escalate your force, add Mor & Gorgons/Cataphractii in a Spartan. Mor can unlock "Head of the Gorgon" too. Then you can Outflank those Predators. :)

Well I haven't fielded predators for almost a year so I don't know all their rules. He could outflank if he used head of the gorgon of course.

I never take praetors if i can take a delegatus, it's too many points just for a fist to kill him outright, I've got a rule: never spend more than 150pts on a HQ without eternal warrior.

If he goes only with plasma predators how will he kill vehicles? only with powerfists, he needs some ranged game, Orth can do some but not enough. The problem with him is that everyone shoots at him and he dies early. Melta preds are versatile can face tanks and infantry, short range is the only downside. If you're going to face litte or no tanks, plasma is better tough

That's whre you're wrong, you can only take one rite either pride or gorgon.

For a pride list it seems a bit low on bodies I would put at least 3 units of termis/vets in 1kpts

That's whre you're wrong, you can only take one rite either pride or gorgon.

I never actually said that he can run 2 Rites of War.

@kirat1, hope my advice helped mate! :)

Now, both advice seems great. Problem is the game is on thursday and I don't actually have all these models I'm being suggested yet. I do have 5 gorgons that I really want to use, as well as 5 cataphractii's. I have a model that's good for Autek Mor, if not I can use an hq with chainfist/combi bolter thing. Other than that it'd have to be an Iron Father. Vehicle wise I own 3 dreads with plasma cannons, a contempt with assault cannon and the predator with the load out above.

I'd love to include some veteran marines but I don't know if I should since I don't have any special weapons models. I have like, the 30 marines from the betrayal box set who I've given all basically standard bolters to be tactical squads. I then own a load of heavy support squads from plasma, las and HB. I'm trying to make a list that is basically more Iron Hands in style using what I've got. Trying to stick to the MK3 marines I've got (30), the ten termies (5 gorgon) and trying to fit as much tank in as possible.

I love the termies and gorgons so I really do want to use them though aha, just trying to figure out the best style of list for it!

What do you have ready to play? the termies, dreads and one pred right?

Then play with that, you can improve your antitank game game with chainfists (maybe put a meltagun under it) on the dreads while keeping the plasma for antinfantry

Only two units seems risky for pride, my BA have 3termies. I would but the 30marines making two tacticals and using the remaining 10 as heavy support squads, this way you can deploy vanilla tacs with Heavy support or veterans with heavy bolter/missile launcher, the second improving your pride numbers

Well as pointed out above I'll have to swap in another unit to fit the limitations of pride so I'll probably end up swapping the dreadnoughts and seeing what infantry I can fit in, either a full unit of tactical marines or even maybe two veteran squads if I can drop a few points I should be able to fit it in and almost double my model count. I could fit in two 10 man veteran squads but that's with no kind of weapon upgrade at all so not sure..

So a few modifications keeping things in mind, firstly I don't have a rocket launcher unfortunately so can't use that, i doubt I'll be able to get a spare model for it here in time so I know I'm lacking anti tank but here we go:

Autek (I still love him, I would still have to use a pretty expensive HQ without him so kinda still wanna use him.. idk)

5x gorgons, cyber familiar.

5x cataphractii, 2 chain fists, 3 lightning claws.

Veterans x10 men.

Veterans x5 with Heavy bolter

Predator, executioner cannon, las cannon sponsons

Contemptor cortus, kheres assault cannon.

I like this iteration to be honest, lots more models fielded but I'm keeping my tanks, army still stays pretty tough. Idea is to keep the 5 men potting shots off at people whilst the ten do any objective taking that's a bit more close to the enemy, I might have 10 more points I can mess with though. Looking forwards to it!

Looks pretty solid to me, I'd just put the familiar on the cataphractii sgt for 3++.

Gamewise outflank the vets and use head of the gorgon.  You could outflank the pred to snipe vehicle laterals too.

Can't use head of the gorgon since I need pride of the legion to field that many vets and termies unfortunately. I'm 10 points over right now just finding out cause I think my friend is 20 points over so if so I'll add a familiar to the cataphractii sergeant, not sure if I want him to be one of the lightning claw guys or chainfist guys yet.

Archived