Codex: Imperial Agents

Banjulhu

The issue is with the wording itself and also with all the rumors pointing to the sisters release being in january/february and not december.

I must be hearing different rumors than you.

This is a small update.  Full codex and release is still 6 to 10 months away and will be the last codex before 8th is released.

Having a book to hold might be one of the best parts about this update tongue.png I'm waiting for some nice rules and options to be the other best part msn-wink.gif

I'm still not seeing this as anything related to the Sisters though. As much as I liked the Witch Hunters codex this is "Codex: Imperial Agents" and Sisters come under that banner as much as any other army - i.e. not at all.

I am convinced there is going to be a sisters of battle codex following this release.

The way I see it right now, all 9 factions will be:

Ordo Hereticus

Order militant: Sisters of battle

Ordo Xenos

Order militant: Deathwatch

Ordo Maleus

Order militant: Grey Knights

Astra Telepathica (sisters of silence) 

custodes

assassins

Makes up for 9 factions. They could also flesh out inquisition with scions from militarum tempestus, but that could end up being a 10th faction so chances are they will be named something else, but use the same models as was the case for the Witch Hunter book.

Depending on the scope of the release, assuming they have just a canoness and possibly a box of sisters coming out, it would help sell those models, and also push sales from deathwatch, until the real Sisters of Battle book comes out.

If it doesn't include a full Sisters army list, there is no reason for me to buy it.

It could conceivably be an angels of death style formation compendium, with relics and detachments but only a few units (most likely to replace the archaic 5th edition inquisition stuff).

Possible, but the name doesn't fit and I'd like to imagine GW would update the codices involved before considering a supplement. Neither the Inquisition codex nor any of the rumoured ones involved could be described as "recent".

There has been a full year of supplemental releases for a codex from 2012. Out of all the sub-factions only the Inquisition with their 5e rules are actually obsolete.

If it doesn't include a full Sisters army list, there is no reason for me to buy it.

The thing that has me leery is my conviction that this is not aimed at people like us who already have Sisters armies and have been playing them, but the people who have no Sisters but might buy them for the "an obscure faction returns in plastic, and I only have to get this one squad!"

I don't think this book will have what we want, which is fine, but what really bothers me is the chance this might be all we ever get again.

I have hope for a Codex containing a competitive write up for Sisters of Battle, but Hope by itself gains nothing. If it is, all well and good! If not the gamers at my FLGS allow me to use the SoB codex from White Dwarf (rather than the digital one) so I'm happy enough as is.

It could conceivably be an angels of death style formation compendium, with relics and detachments but only a few units (most likely to replace the archaic 5th edition inquisition stuff).

If you look at what happened for the Raven Guard alone in the Angels of Death book, such treatment for any of the Imperial Agent armies listed could be absolutely fantastic without any unit entries at all. Assume you only get 10 pages devoted to the SoB.

I have always maintained that there are only two difficult units in the SoB dex. Repentia and PenEngines are nasty in close, but very hard to get there. A formation combining the two that grants shrouded for the formation, 5+ fnp for the repentia when not super buffed by their AoF and IWND for the PenEngines goes a very long way towards making them fieldable. (1 page)

Celestians could get either a specific formation buffing them or using them like formation HQ's that have a buffing effect on the units in the formation. Anything to make them better. Throw in a handful of additional formations for the rest of the SoB list. (1 page for Celestians, 4 pages for everyone else)

This still leaves you one page for Sororitas Relics, one page for updated Warlord Traits, and two pages for an updated and fixed Martyrdom and Acts of Faith system for the Sisters.

With the example set forth by the Angels of Death book which has rules for what, seven sets of different chapter traits? It's not entirely out of the question. Probably more likely than not actually, and I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Of course, if all I get is bad rules and SoB tactical cards out of this, I won't care whats in the book. Heretics will burn no matter what!

The way I see it right now, all 9 factions will be:

Ordo Hereticus

Order militant: Sisters of battle

Ordo Xenos

Order militant: Deathwatch

Ordo Maleus

Order militant: Grey Knights

Astra Telepathica (sisters of silence) 

custodes

assassins

Makes up for 9 factions. They could also flesh out inquisition with scions from militarum tempestus, but that could end up being a 10th faction so chances are they will be named something else, but use the same models as was the case for the Witch Hunter book.

Depending on the scope of the release, assuming they have just a canoness and possibly a box of sisters coming out, it would help sell those models, and also push sales from deathwatch, until the real Sisters of Battle book comes out.

Um... Inquisition is one faction. So it leaves space for Tempestus and LotD, two other mini-armies without book yet. Which would be nice to have, I hate e-books and all of the above in handy book looks very attractive.

The only real fix Repentias need when it comes to getting them where they hurt your opponent is pretty simple actually. Give Battle Sisters there Landraiders back.

Seeing at least 3 factions mentioned above have access to Land Raiders, it would be trivial to take one. And you don't even get usual restriction 'allies can't start in transports' as it's a single book, I'd say, unless GW is dumber than usual.

I don't get the whining in this thread. This book could even make for better Sister book than actual AS codex. Just think of counts-as opportunities, Inquisitor as Canoness (seeing actual Canoness is not that good and Inquisitors provide lots of buffs Sororitas could use), actual good melee sisters (DCA or SoS), hell, you can even use Vindicare rules for sniper sister conversion. I'll take it before stupid male priests that were needed to give these dumb women actual fighting chance in current book, thank you very much. I can see this book replacing both my Codex DW and AS if these 'taster' rules have fixes both factions need, I hate book bloat.

Kind of sad though that we would have to rely on "counts as" instead of having a new Codex. Tbh I don't think there is anything hugely wrong with our current Codex and have had lots of good games with it. Just needs tidying up and maybe some formations (although I personally think they were the worse thing introduced this edition!).

The only real fix Repentias need when it comes to getting them where they hurt your opponent is pretty simple actually. Give Battle Sisters there Landraiders back.

Well that's a questionable fix in the sense that Land Raiders aren't very good these days :P

Yeah, I don't do counts as; It doesn't work for me personally. So, if there are only a couple Sisters units, and we don't get a full codex later on, yes, I will be annoyed. If someone likes this kind of thing, that's great, but that doesn't mean everyone else is just being silly if they don't share your opinion, obviously.

But I suppose in that case I'll just keep playing with the e-codex.

Reading this thread is putting me a bit on edge. It will be better once I know for certain what's in this new book.

It would be nice to have a formation wher we build a unit like in Deathwatch. Adding Repentia to a standard Battle Sister squad would be benifical to both

How to make 90% of the sisters codex into one unit...

Sister squad

1 sister superior who can be upgraded to a veteran SS

4-19 sisters in power armour with bolter and bolt pistol

Up to 4 sisters may take a special or heavy weapon.

Unit may take rhino, immo, or repressor as dedicated transport.

1 sister may be replaced with hospital

1 sister may take banner thingy

Unit may once per game use any one AoF off the list of act of faiths available.

All sisters may be upgraded to celestial at price x, gaining stats y and access to super special act of faith z.

That's everything right? If just that was in this codex you could nearly play the entire army from one data slate.

Kinda crazy, but you know...

Then just jumpers and repentia. HS vehices and HQ... etc.

Archived