Last Update: May 9th 2020

If you are reading this, this article is going through another revamp. I have decided to keep more shrouded than revealed with this Thrallband and so will be writing up various articles to show more than tell what my Thrallband is about. I will update this post with the collection of articles as I go along.

Feel free to add your comments to any and all parts!

++INTRO++

++ACCESSING SECURE FILES++

++AUTHORIZATION LEVEL GAMMA RED SIX REQUESTED++

++LOGIN DENIED++

++LOGIN DENIED++

++CORRUPTION DETEC---++

++LOGIN ACCEPTED++

++WELCOME LORD INQUISITOR HELSTROM VON BRIEGER++

++QUERY ACCEPTED++

++DECRYPTING++

++DECRYPTING++

++DECRYPTING++

++LOG 01762295573 LOADING++

++LOAD COMPLETE++

Personal Logs of Helstrom Von Brieger. 

Date: 9.006.010.M42

I have been tasked by my superiors with the discovery, research and elimination of a heretical group. They have surfaced in Segmentum Obscurus. My agents have tracked them from system to subsystem. The chaos they have sowed has led many an Imperial world to cleansing and has left a necessary death toll in its wake. They are known by many names. The general populace call them the Cult of Liberating Light. The gentry and governing bodies refer to them as the Camarilla Vindicta. Let this be the first imperial record mentioning them by their true name, the Crowned Stave Cabal.

A group of Sorcerers from the Eye, who have been set upon real space like a pack of rabid dogs. Their brand of discord: uprooting established Imperial governance. Although never replacing the governance with anything else but anarchy. Scum.

I have attached to this log my notes and collected files on the matter.

“The Reward For Treachery Is Retribution.”

Thanks for reading!

-DR

Edited by Dolchiate Remembrancer

Got a rough brainstorm for my TS band of brothers in my Warbeasts and TS thread. Maybe that helps a bit but yeah, basically it's Ahrimans story what you're intending to do. ;)

Thanks for that Kelborn!

Well, this will be the drawing board. I want this warband to have two things: 1)Tragic story that makes them into Anti-Heroes(Doing the wrong things but for what could be righteous reasons) 2) every member must be named and numbered.

Having created a DIY chapter, I especially want this project to be about number 2 with number 1 reinforcing it.

So, tragedies of the 1KSons:

1. Burning of Prospero
  2. The Rubric
  3. ???

Are there any others? Can another be conceived that wouldn't be too outlandish to stand on its own in the 40k Fluff?

Another point, there is no individuality to Rubricae, but I want an individuality to the members of this warband which will include Rubricae. Now the fun part about that is that they truly won't ever die(Well...the sorcerors might). So the link to the Rubric and to recuperating these lost brothers made total sense to me. But as has been pointed out, that's Ahriman's thing. So what would be another way to recognise the individuality of the members and not be led by Ahriman?

Finally, I want these guys to be followers of the Lord of Change and not Ahriman or Magnus. Having them turn away from the planet of sorcerors and break out on there own is something I would love.

Any and all CC invited!

(And hey if this works out to inspire me to convert every son then yay!!!!)

-DR

Ahriman most certainly would not be the only one trying to undo the rubricae, so that in itself isn't an issue. It just needs to be done in a way to make it a little more unique.

My own is also trying to undo it (but rather than undo the actual damage, he seeks to transfer the souls into new bodies).

Though if you want them to actually love and want the Lord of Change, maybe rather than just trying to undo the rubricae, they see the flesh change as a necessary step for the next stage of evolution. Therefore you don't want to undo it because you feel bad for them being dust, you want to undo it so that all can evolve to their next stage, they can all ascend. Wanting the flesh change would make them stand against the legion.

Edited by Arkangilos

Ahriman most certainly would not be the only one trying to undo the rubricae, so that in itself isn't an issue. It just needs to be done in a way to make it a little more unique.

My own is also trying to undo it (but rather than undo the actual damage, he seeks to transfer the souls into new bodies).

Though if you want them to actually love and want the Lord of Change, maybe rather than just trying to undo the rubricae, they see the flesh change as a necessary step for the next stage of evolution. Therefore you don't want to undo it because you feel bad for them being dust, you want to undo it so that all can evolve to their next stage, they can all ascend. Wanting the flesh change would make them stand against the legion.

interesting. Thanks Ark!

Well, taking this in a different direction for interest and motivation sake.

I used the random warband generator just to get a skeleton to work off of:

Name: TBC

Led By: Sorceror Lord Nebnefer

Thousand Sons Legion Warband

Devotion to Chaos: Tzeentch Fanatics

Beliefs: Remember the Ancestors

Demeanor: Scorched Earth

Figure of Legend: (Name TBC), Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

Deeds of Legend: Boarding of Eldar Craftworld

Fleet or Space Hulk Based(Haven't decided yet)

Cause: Rumours cause attraction

Allies: Specified group of Chaos/Renegade Mortals

Enemies: Nids

So here is how I'm actually going to tie this all together. The (Insert warband name here) were once a massive Fleet based warband doing nefarious things in the name of Tzeentch. Led by Daemon Prince (Insert name here), they had ravaged many an imperial world dedicating it to the Lord of Change. The strands of fate began to unravel before the Daemon Prince's eyes and showed to him a world that would please Tzeentch more than any other, (insert craftworld name here). The Daemon Prince leads them unto the craftworld and its many secrets. A grand battle against various eldar factions ensues. The Thousand Sons relentlessly advance and back the Eldar-kin to the wall forcing them to chose between a chance for revenge or complete oblivion. The majority of the eldar forces run from before the strength of the Sons. A group of Farseers elects to stay behind to delay the warband as much as possible. The daemon prince hunts these last few survivors down and ends each titanic psychic battle with more eldar blood on his hands. As he finishes off the last of the farseers, the eldar whispers of the location of an item of supreme power located on the craft world. Assuming Tzeentch's will, the Daemon Prince and his Sorcerors hunt down the item in question. Finally finding it, he lays his hands on it in greedy anticipation only the spring the Eldar's postmortem trap. The warband in unharmed save for the Daemon Prince himself, stuck in a crystal of unknown material, with every magical item trapped with it with him. The warband deems it necessary to scour the galaxy and find a way to free (Insert Daemon Prince name here) and reclaim the power trapped with him in the crystal. And so the most powerful Sorcerors leave with their acolytes and begin to search for a key to this crystal prison.

Sorceror Lord Nebnefer is one such, who leaves with his small contingent into the depths of the warp. Rumours and such lead him to the Dolchiate Sector in Segmentum Ultima, the location of the demise of an entire blood angels successor chapter. Knowing of the Blood Angels trust in the ways of the warp, Nebnefer seeks the long forgotten artifacts that can litter the landscapes of the planets in the hopes of finding something that could lead him to the key. The success of the (Insert warband name here) has caused many of the imperium's enemies to want to join up with the warband, even if for brief periods of times, and lay waste upon the empire of man.

The (insert warband name here) have retained there fleet based status, electing to raise everything to the ground once their search is complete. This has helped in the increased notoriety of the warband as it leaves a very distinct calling card, but it has made some very unlikely enemies. Sorceror Lord Nebnefer is not the first to have noted the persistant agression and presence of the Tyranid Xenos during their search operations. It can be speculated that the warband's efficiency in leaving no stone unturned(or standing) conflicts with the xenos' desire to consume all.

So? Is this remotely interesting?

I know I'm still not making use of Remember the Ancestors, but I would love to hear your C&C on the above for now.

-DR

• 3 weeks later...

Went back to the drawing board and decided that since I already have a DIY Blood Angels Successor that is all about "community", I am going to try and make this warband all about "self".

So I am taking a massive step back and looking to develop my Sorceror Lord, now known as Magister Nebnefer of Thrallband Tusmah.

Do any of you have any tips on taking this sort of approach for a chaos warband?

Well it depends, what are his overall goals? Is he seeking knowledge? Ascension? Evolution? Dominations?

I remember in the Black Crusade RPG (which is at home so I don't have the direct list with me yet), it has a list of personality traits. One of them is pretty cool, it's nihilism. In this case it's the belief that the character thinks he is the only one that exists, and that all others are just a part of his imagination. Therefore he has no problem doing anything he wants to them to get what he wants. It's just a game in his own head.

But basically for the warband, his people will always be expendable to an end.

I like that concept! I was even reading up on protagonist villain writing just to get me going in the right direction and one tip was to inspire yourself from darker times in your life and i did sort of have an elistist/nihilistic part of my life when i was younger. Could tap into that and see what comes of it.

Alrighty, so here is the skeleton for my Sorceror Lord:

Magister Nebnefer

• Member of Corvidae Cult while it was in decline on Prospero
  • Manifested Precog Powers through Numerology
  • Was ridiculed for lack of skill/type of skill(still trying to see how I want him to be relatable)
  • This led to him being considered and relegated to the lowest rank of Sorceror in his Fellowship
  • Idolised Ahriman as a fellow Corvidae(Big Brother), Idolised Magnus as a father, became great friends with a Thousand Sons Non-Psycher
  • Did not predict the Burning of Prospero; Blames himself for it
  • Did not predict the Rubric of Ahriman; Feels betrayed by Ahriman
  • Loses friend to Rubric; Blames himself for his Friend's eternal state
  • Confront Magnus, is ignored by the Daemon Primarch, promptly leaves the Planet of Sorcerors
  • Finds like minded Sorcerors/Aspirants("Yes Men") and Tutelary/Daemon while on self imposed exile
  • Attempts Numerology while aided by Tutelary/Daemon
  • Tracks down Rubric Friend
  • Decimates the Thrallband his friend is subjected to
  • Build up his own Thrallband with aid of "Yes Men", Tutelary/Daemon and Rubrics from decimated Thrallband

Following these events I have the following much broader strokes:

• Becomes obsessed with the number 9, its meanings and power
  • Practices Numerology with aid of Tutelary/Daemon
  • Becomes aware of Dolchiate Sector in Ultima Segmentum(The sector that my group fights in)
  • Warp travels to sector and campaigns against Emperor's Children warband to seek establishment within the sector

So...what do you all think? Can this be fleshed out into something cool for the Thrallband?

-DR

To ostracize your leader from Magnus, a third Thousand Sons tragedy could be the blood of Magnus itself. It is, after all, Magnus's own genetic legacy that doomed the Legion to mutation and corruption, that set the Legion up for all that followed. Ahriman's failed ritual was terrible in itself, but it was also trying to undo the damage that simply being a son of the Cyclops entails.

Now, your warband actually wants the fleshchange, so a tweak on that tragedy would be their disdain for those that tried to rule it, or eradicate it. Ahriman's ritual was terrible not just because of the loss in individual life, but because it sterilized the souls of countless brothers and imprisoned them forever within an unchanging cage. Magnus tried to deal with the Lord of Change, eventually condemning himself and his sons in an ill-fated attempt to remain the masters of their own bodies. Both saw this gift, the power that dwelt within the Cyclops' own blood, and rejected it, at terrible cost even to those that saw the majesty in it.

Sure, Magnus is now a Daemon Prince of Tzeentch. Sure, Ahriman is a Sorcerer still, leader of one of the more powerful Tzeentchian warbands. They have both well and truly accepted their fates, but too late for your warband to care.

Your stuff looks good so far. I'm interested, I admit, mostly because of a certain similarity to my own TS DIY (which as yet only has a small post of written lore), that of a daemon imprisoned within an Eldar crystal. Not saying it's the same, mine's about the Sorcerer coven each retaining their Tutelaries within a captured Eldar soulstone, as a means of binding their fickle power solely to their will. I'm interested to see where you take your idea, and perhaps steal get ideas for my own.

To ostracize your leader from Magnus, a third Thousand Sons tragedy could be the blood of Magnus itself. It is, after all, Magnus's own genetic legacy that doomed the Legion to mutation and corruption, that set the Legion up for all that followed. Ahriman's failed ritual was terrible in itself, but it was also trying to undo the damage that simply being a son of the Cyclops entails.

Now, your warband actually wants the fleshchange, so a tweak on that tragedy would be their disdain for those that tried to rule it, or eradicate it. Ahriman's ritual was terrible not just because of the loss in individual life, but because it sterilized the souls of countless brothers and imprisoned them forever within an unchanging cage. Magnus tried to deal with the Lord of Change, eventually condemning himself and his sons in an ill-fated attempt to remain the masters of their own bodies. Both saw this gift, the power that dwelt within the Cyclops' own blood, and rejected it, at terrible cost even to those that saw the majesty in it.

Sure, Magnus is now a Daemon Prince of Tzeentch. Sure, Ahriman is a Sorcerer still, leader of one of the more powerful Tzeentchian warbands. They have both well and truly accepted their fates, but too late for your warband to care.

Your stuff looks good so far. I'm interested, I admit, mostly because of a certain similarity to my own TS DIY (which as yet only has a small post of written lore), that of a daemon imprisoned within an Eldar crystal. Not saying it's the same, mine's about the Sorcerer coven each retaining their Tutelaries within a captured Eldar soulstone, as a means of binding their fickle power solely to their will. I'm interested to see where you take your idea, and perhaps steal get ideas for my own.

This would be awesome if I liked mutation lol sadly I don't but thanks for the addition conn!

Ill give yours a read :)

Ah, thought you were in favor of the flesh change.

Well, if not, then it's easier to blame Magnus for it. He is their father. It is his blood that flows through them. The flesh change is his genetic legacy.

Ahriman trapped their souls in unthinking suits of armor. Magnus trapped their bodies in chains of mutative blood. Both are figures to revile.

What follows are thoughts and ideas on the new edit.

Magister Nebnefer

• Was ridiculed for lack of skill/type of skill(still trying to see how I want him to be relatable)
  • This led to him being considered and relegated to the lowest rank of Sorceror in his Fellowship
  • Idolised Ahriman as a fellow Corvidae(Big Brother), Idolised Magnus as a father, became great friends with a Thousand Sons Non-Psycher
  • Confront Magnus, is ignored by the Daemon Primarch, promptly leaves the Planet of Sorcerors
  • Finds like minded Sorcerors/Aspirants("Yes Men") and Tutelary/Daemon while on self imposed exile
  • Build up his own Thrallband with aid of "Yes Men", Tutelary/Daemon and Rubrics from decimated Thrallband
  • Becomes aware of Dolchiate Sector in Ultima Segmentum(The sector that my group fights in)
  • Warp travels to sector and campaigns against Emperor's Children warband to seek establishment within the sector

Okay, so this sorcerer blames his own weaknesses for failing to predict and effect change where it mattered, blames the father and son who should have, and vows to overcome these shortcomings by separating himself from these failures and gain the strength he once lacked.

Beliefs

All about the number '9' and the power/protection it can convey.

Strongest Believer: Nebnefer
But no one who is or has been a part of Thrallband Tusmah can deny the power that the Sorceror Lord is tapping into.

There's nothing particularly wrong with this, but I'd like to see if you can add more than numerology, specifically the significance of the #9, to this, ideally making it a footnote to other beliefs. It's certainly normal for warbands dedicated to particular gods to show reverence to their holy digits, but because of that I'd say your article might be better served to discuss other aspects of their beliefs. It's like a loyalist chapter article where the organization section simply reiterates what a basic Codex organization is. It's certainly not wrong to mention it, but it'd be more interesting if more is discussed.

Combat Doctrines

Much like other Thousand Souns, Thrallband Tusmah adheres to the belief that the battle is won or lost prior to the first shots being fired. They therefore are masters of preparation...(more to come)

If the battle must be fought, the every member of the Thrallband belives in sending a message above the result. Get into the enemy's head and you win the war.(more to come)

Ah, yes, this help with what I meant about their beliefs. They ensure victories are foregone conclusions, and fight for more reasons than simply winning a battle. while the Combat Doctrine section elaborates on its application on the field of battle, you might be well-served by using the Belief section to dive into how this way of thinking developed and could apply to far more than just combat.

What follows are thoughts and ideas on the new edit.

Magister Nebnefer

Okay, so this sorcerer blames his own weaknesses for failing to predict and effect change where it mattered, blames the father and son who should have, and vows to overcome these shortcomings by separating himself from these failures and gain the strength he once lacked.

YES!!!! I love how you worded it and it is exactly how I felt this should go.

Beliefs

All about the number '9' and the power/protection it can convey.

Strongest Believer: Nebnefer

But no one who is or has been a part of Thrallband Tusmah can deny the power that the Sorceror Lord is tapping into.

There's nothing particularly wrong with this, but I'd like to see if you can add more than numerology, specifically the significance of the #9, to this, ideally making it a footnote to other beliefs. It's certainly normal for warbands dedicated to particular gods to show reverence to their holy digits, but because of that I'd say your article might be better served to discuss other aspects of their beliefs. It's like a loyalist chapter article where the organization section simply reiterates what a basic Codex organization is. It's certainly not wrong to mention it, but it'd be more interesting if more is discussed.

Duly noted. I'm not quite sure how to work on that as all i had for this project really was Tzeentch Warband number 9 :P

Combat Doctrines

Much like other Thousand Souns, Thrallband Tusmah adheres to the belief that the battle is won or lost prior to the first shots being fired. They therefore are masters of preparation...(more to come)

If the battle must be fought, the every member of the Thrallband belives in sending a message above the result. Get into the enemy's head and you win the war.(more to come)

Ah, yes, this help with what I meant about their beliefs. They ensure victories are foregone conclusions, and fight for more reasons than simply winning a battle. while the Combat Doctrine section elaborates on its application on the field of battle, you might be well-served by using the Belief section to dive into how this way of thinking developed and could apply to far more than just combat.

Ah! I see! Well at least that thickens up my beliefs section some! Edited by Dolchiate Remembrancer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hail!

So i got some time to twiddle ideas in my head while at work and one of them stuck. Here is my thought process and I would really appreciate some feedback. I also updated the original post to the current state of this article.

So being that this Thrallband is all about Self(as opposed to a Chapter which is all about the collective), I needed something to guide me in making this Magister and his evil associates click. A friend suggested looking at the major events in TS history and seeing how they would affect Nebnefer.

Events

Horus Heresy - Really could care less about it

Burning of Prospero - Following the burning of Prospero and the Legion's retreat into the EoT, he was forced to watch the imperium he knew, loved and fought for become a glorified and bloated dictatorship

Rubric - Although he wanted to hold onto his humanity, Nebnefer never wanted the obliteration of his friends and comrades that ended up being the result of the Rubric.

I found it peculiar that what evoked the most emotion was Prospero and not the Rubric as I had initially thought. So I decided to follow that emotion and idea and went down the trail of a Humanity Loving Thousand Son.

Relationship

Other Thousand Sons: Keeps them at arm's length, if Ahriman is capable of the Rubric, then any one of them is capable of treachery

Ahriman: Secretly hates him for the Rubric but admires and respects him for his knowledge and power

Magnus: Wished he would have guided the Legion better instead of being played like a pawn. Does respect him for his recent actions on Fenris and outside of the EoT.

Mankind: Still feels that they are the elite race of the galaxy and wishes to bring the glories of the crusades/Prospero to them

Imperium: Hates them with a passion and seeks only its demise

Daemons: Finds them as useful tools and unlikely allies

Goal

To me right now the interesting goal of this Thrallband, under Magister Nebnefer, will be to establish an academic utopia for man. Somehow to carve out a piece of space beyond the imperium under which mankind may continue to flourish as it would have with Prospero's guiding light.

Means

Destroy society as it stands to rebuild it by his standards. This will be done on the battlefield for obvious reasons but also off the battlefield through the establishing of academic cults, starting planetary revolts and seeking writings/artifacts to use or to sway others with.

Other names for the Thrallband(given to them by mortals): Cult of Serapis, Academic Guild of Thoth and the Good Teachers.

So...is this stupid or might I be on to something?

• 4 months later...
Thanks Onyx! What kind of info?

I was thinking maybe about what kind of planets were there, or how the warband interacts with said planets?

What made the sector a target? Was it situated well strategically, were there chaos cults already present, was it a prophecy?

This kind of things. But it's just a suggestion