Baltus Sector planets and systems

Black Cohort

This thread is for all information about the planets, systems and other stellar feature of the sector.  I will update this post with links and content as the sector develops.  For right now we are only working on the 2  coreward sub-sectors, though I plan on having 4 or maybe 5.

The Baltus Sector is in Ultima Segmentum, and is to the galactic north of Macragge and east of the Maelstrom.

Sub Sector Vrata (roughly 30 systems)

-Ostim system, only route into Baltus Sector from the rest of the Imperium

Sub Sector Fimbris (roughly 25 systems)

Got a couple of planets in mind, which can be used as you like.

Could be gathered in one system or spread across the sector. :)

Will post them, when I got some time left.

Sorry for doublepost.

Strathus Secundus - a productive hive world, once one of the most effective and productive worlds of the Baltus sector, after it's isolation, desperation spread, resulting in riots and civil war, because of lacking medicine and food supplies (which were imported until then), the people of Strathus Secundus feared illness and death the most, that was the time when the Royal Apothecary under the charismatic leader known as Putress rose to prominence, a dedicated servant of Nurgle, he offered the desperate population immunity and safety, more and more joined his holy salvation which quickly led half of the hive cities fell under his single ruleship, when the Baltrus Sector was rediscovered, Strathus Secundus became a world of blight, decay and joy, the blessings of the Royal Apothecary are ready to spread across the stars

Remiaka - an industry world at the edge of the Baltrus Sector, by unknown circumstances, prior to the seclusion: Remiaka was assaulted by the Warbeasts chapter as the newly elected governor turned to be corrupt and became a tyrant, denying the imperial tribute he had to pass over to the Imperium, because of the hunt which resulted in the death of the governor and heavy casualties, both civilian and military, the remaining civil population never recovered from this blow, the Warbeasts chapter did not care for other things than their hunt and left the world shattered, it was a perfect setting for a Genestealer cult which infiltrated this world, now, after 200 years of isolation, the cult of the Brass Claw has taken over, feeling responsible for his ancestors deeds, the Warbeasts chapter descend again upon Remiaka to finish what they had once started

Tchulaka - jungle world, infested with Orks, base of operations of the Freeboota fleet of Gharak Voidstalka

Equilibrius - shrine world and one of the last imperial bastions, when the entire sector was lost to anarchy and rising xenos and chaos threats, the remaining loyal forces held fast onto the holy and pure worlds, while Equilibrius and its surrounding planets became a bastion of faith and purity, Kulveris became the heart of the few remaining Imperial Guard regiments and Tempestus Scions, Equilibrius is also the solely base of the local Inquisition of the Ordo Malleus and Hereticus

Kulveris II - the "Iron Bastion" - base of operations of the remaining imperial forces (Imperial Guard, Tempestus Scions, Imperial Navy) and the Ordo Xenos, formerly a small outpost at the edge of the Baltus Sector, it was heavily reshaped in the past 200 years until its entire surface is covered with barracks, factories, supply depots and fortresses, Kulveris it the first loyal world to make contact with the approaching Reclamation Crusade

Had some more, but I've forgotten them. ^^"

Strathus Secundus - a productive hive world, once one of the most effective and productive worlds of the Baltus sector, after it's isolation, desperation spread, resulting in riots and civil war, because of lacking medicine and food supplies (which were imported until then), the people of Strathus Secundus feared illness and death the most, that was the time when the Royal Apothecary under the charismatic leader known as Putress rose to prominence, a dedicated servant of Nurgle, he offered the desperate population immunity and safety, more and more joined his holy salvation which quickly led half of the hive cities fell under his single ruleship, when the Baltrus Sector was rediscovered, Strathus Secundus became a world of blight, decay and joy, the blessings of the Royal Apothecary are ready to spread across the stars

Someone has been taking some influence from WoW I see msn-wink.gif

Remiaka - an industry world at the edge of the Baltrus Sector, by unknown circumstances, prior to the seclusion: Remiaka was assaulted by the Warbeasts chapter as the newly elected governor turned to be corrupt and became a tyrant, denying the imperial tribute he had to pass over to the Imperium, because of the hunt which resulted in the death of the governor and heavy casualties, both civilian and military, the remaining civil population never recovered from this blow, the Warbeasts chapter did not care for other things than their hunt and left the world shattered, it was a perfect setting for a Genestealer cult which infiltrated this world, now, after 200 years of isolation, the cult of the Brass Claw has taken over, feeling responsible for his ancestors deeds, the Warbeasts chapter descend again upon Remiaka to finish what they had once started

I would personally change the chapter from the Warbeasts to the chapter that we're going to have stationed within the sector as I don't think they would be too happy with another chapter (especially of the 21st Founding) just barging in to their area of safekeeping. That and it would be a nice detail to add for the local chapter with the past coming to bite them later on. The alternative would be having the Warbeasts doing as you said before however it leads to a brief conflict with the local chapter due to going into their area of protection and such.

Tchulaka - jungle world, infested with Orks, base of operations of the Freeboota fleet of Gharak Voidstalka

Short and sweet, maybe have some rings orbiting around the planet that the orks have used to turn into a makeshift space station (or even a series of space stations) that the Imperium needs to smash through to get to the planet.

Equilibrius - shrine world and one of the last imperial bastions, when the entire sector was lost to anarchy and rising xenos and chaos threats, the remaining loyal forces held fast onto the holy and pure worlds, while Equilibrius and its surrounding planets became a bastion of faith and purity, Kulveris became the heart of the few remaining Imperial Guard regiments and Tempestus Scions, Equilibrius is also the solely base of the local Inquisition of the Ordo Malleus and Hereticus

Perhaps instead of Equilibrius being one of the worlds it could be the name of the system with the worlds inside being a rallying point for the Imperium? To me it would still have it's points of contest but the worlds for the most part would be under some kind of Imperial control. Kulveris II could be one of these worlds as well.

Got me. ^^

I'm taking inspirations from every franchise I'm familiar with: WoW, Mass Effect, StarCraft and so on ;)

Remiaka: Sure, sounds plausible. :) We can exchange the Warbeasts with the local stationed chapter. Could create a small conflict between the Warbeasts and the still loyal members of said chapter in terms of: Who is going to attack which world, etc.

Tchulaka: Yeah, asteroid rings sounds good to me. Did someone say possible Attack Moon shenanigans? ;)

Equilibrius: Yep. The name fits more an entire system than a single planet. Equilibrius can be the center of the still loyal part of the sector. 2 or 3 systems maybe to ensure self supply?

Got me. ^^

I'm taking inspirations from every franchise I'm familiar with: WoW, Mass Effect, StarCraft and so on msn-wink.gif

Remiaka: Sure, sounds plausible. smile.png We can exchange the Warbeasts with the local stationed chapter. Could create a small conflict between the Warbeasts and the still loyal members of said chapter in terms of: Who is going to attack which world, etc.

Tchulaka: Yeah, asteroid rings sounds good to me. Did someone say possible Attack Moon shenanigans? msn-wink.gif

Equilibrius: Yep. The name fits more an entire system than a single planet. Equilibrius can be the center of the still loyal part of the sector. 2 or 3 systems maybe to ensure self supply?

Agreed on the Warbeasts part, perhaps they decide to go on the offensive and ahead of the main Crusade due to their hunter like nature? That's what I'm getting from them anyway from what I've read.

3 systems supplying the place sounds good, just have them being being pushed against the wall and it sounds like a plan :)

St Caspian's

Cardinal world of the Fimbris subsector, St Caspian's is one of the few worlds of the Baltus sector upon which the God Emperor of Mankind is said to have stood, albeit for a single hour. Around the sacred mile of earth upon which He strode was built a cathedral of marble and gold (the construction of which would have crippled Saint Caspian's economy were it not for the pilgrims that it bought to the planet)

It is further said that an apparition of the Emperor appears every one thousand years to stride down that mile: as on that day, He inspects the people arrayed before Him - a prophecy has been told of these encounters, which says that should He not be satisfied of the loyalty of those He meets, He shall curse the sector and cause its downfall. Needless to say, it is vitally important that the crusade reach St Caspian's before the apparition's next appearance, regardless of the veracity of the prophecy, as the superstitious masses of Baltus could revolt once more should the cathedral be in the hands of rebels on that day, seeing it as a sign of the Time of Ending...

Sorry for doublepost.

Strathus Secundus - a productive hive world, once one of the most effective and productive worlds of the Baltus sector, after it's isolation, desperation spread, resulting in riots and civil war, because of lacking medicine and food supplies (which were imported until then), the people of Strathus Secundus feared illness and death the most, that was the time when the Royal Apothecary under the charismatic leader known as Putress rose to prominence, a dedicated servant of Nurgle, he offered the desperate population immunity and safety, more and more joined his holy salvation which quickly led half of the hive cities fell under his single ruleship, when the Baltrus Sector was rediscovered, Strathus Secundus became a world of blight, decay and joy, the blessings of the Royal Apothecary are ready to spread across the stars

Remiaka - an industry world at the edge of the Baltrus Sector, by unknown circumstances, prior to the seclusion: Remiaka was assaulted by the Warbeasts chapter as the newly elected governor turned to be corrupt and became a tyrant, denying the imperial tribute he had to pass over to the Imperium, because of the hunt which resulted in the death of the governor and heavy casualties, both civilian and military, the remaining civil population never recovered from this blow, the Warbeasts chapter did not care for other things than their hunt and left the world shattered, it was a perfect setting for a Genestealer cult which infiltrated this world, now, after 200 years of isolation, the cult of the Brass Claw has taken over, feeling responsible for his ancestors deeds, the Warbeasts chapter descend again upon Remiaka to finish what they had once started

Kulveris II - the "Iron Bastion" - base of operations of the remaining imperial forces (Imperial Guard, Tempestus Scions, Imperial Navy) and the Ordo Xenos, formerly a small outpost at the edge of the Baltus Sector, it was heavily reshaped in the past 200 years until its entire surface is covered with barracks, factories, supply depots and fortresses, Kulveris it the first loyal world to make contact with the approaching Reclamation Crusade

Had some more, but I've forgotten them. ^^"

I really like these, do you have any ideas as to which sub-sectors they would each be in?

The Kulveris system seems like a good place to be the current Imperial "Sector Capital".  I would think that Equilibrium would be close to that system.

St Caspian's

Cardinal world of the Fimbris subsector, St Caspian's is one of the few worlds of the Baltus sector upon which the God Emperor of Mankind is said to have stood, albeit for a single hour. Around the sacred mile of earth upon which He strode was built a cathedral of marble and gold (the construction of which would have crippled Saint Caspian's economy were it not for the pilgrims that it bought to the planet)

It is further said that an apparition of the Emperor appears every one thousand years to stride down that mile: as on that day, He inspects the people arrayed before Him - a prophecy has been told of these encounters, which says that should He not be satisfied of the loyalty of those He meets, He shall curse the sector and cause its downfall. Needless to say, it is vitally important that the crusade reach St Caspian's before the apparition's next appearance, regardless of the veracity of the prophecy, as the superstitious masses of Baltus could revolt once more should the cathedral be in the hands of rebels on that day, seeing it as a sign of the Time of Ending...

I see St Caspain's World as being isolated from other Imperial loyal planets, perhaps at the very north of the Vrata Sub-Sector, a large garrison of the descendants of the pilgrim masses defend it.

I see St Caspain's World as being isolated from other Imperial loyal planets, perhaps at the very north of the Vrata Sub-Sector, a large garrison of the descendants of the pilgrim masses defend it.

Depending on the needs of the project, it could even be in rebel hands - I was thinking that giving some kind of time constraint for at least a part of the crusade could be interesting, as it could give the strategic dilemma of either

• over-extending too fast to secure a group of distant worlds, but thus leaving possibilities of having a section of the crusade encircled and exterminated
  • or run the risk of permanently losing the group of planets if the time-delay is not met.

I have some ruff ideas as to a small supply system, i plan to expand on it a bit more tommorow but here is the start of it:

System: Baile

Planets: Baile, Baile II, Baile III

Description: The Baile system was primarily used as a supply system. Originally, all three planets were Agri-worlds, however, demand for other supplies led to Baille III being classed as an Industrial world after much of the planet’s crust was devoted to factories. Similarly, Baile was reclassified as Hive world after the central continent developed several Hive cities. However, the eastern and western continents of Baile remain devoted to Agriculture. Due to the importance of the supplies produced by the Baile system, the orbital dock over Baile was reinforced with additional defence platforms and a small Imperial Naval fleet was assigned to protect supply ships. These defensive measures proved their worth in 747.M41 when they successfully held of a small Ork force, destroying them before they made planetfall on Baile II. In 755.M41, contact was lost with the Baile System with the rest of the Baltus Sector.

Initially, the Baile system was mostly unaffected by the fall of the Ostim system as it continued to trade supplies to other worlds. In ???.M41, supply ships returned from ??? system with news of a new non-Imperial faction which was now in control of several worlds. Original reports suggested that this new separatist faction was peaceful and a trade agreement was signed. In 792.M41, it became apparent that the Imperial Governor was being lied to by the separatist faction when reports came back from the supply fleet that an Imperial planet had been attacked by the separatists. This led to the arrest of separatist representatives in the Baile system, however, the small prison complex on Baile II was raided by a mob angry pro-Imperial citizens and PDF who slaughtered the seperatists. This led to civil unrest on Baile and Baile III as wealthier business owners, who had benefited from trade with the separatists, and their private armies clashed with pro-Imperial citizens and PDF. Eventually, the Imperial Governor was forced to deploy the Bailan Jaegers to separate the two sides, although no action was taken against either side to punish them for crimes committed. Following separatist attacks on supply ships, the civil unrest subsided as support from the wealthier business owners faltered as their cargo was destroyed.

In 896.M41, separatist attacks on supply ships stopped and the Baile system was once again able to fully supply other Imperial worlds in their defiance against the separatists. However, the system soon drew the attention of the separatists when their supplies of military equipment helped the Imperial forces on ??? to defeat the separatist forces. This led to a blockade of separatist forces to gather around the Baile system, in 932.M41, with the aim of cutting of this vital Imperial supply line. In 939.M41 these separatist forces pushed into the Baile system after the remains of the Imperial Naval fleet station in Baile managed to breach their blockade for long enough to get supply ships through.

A fleet of separatist warships quickly destroyed the Imperial Naval fleet, forcing a few remaining ships to flee. The defence platforms around the worlds of the Baile system took a toll on the oncoming separatist fleet, however, the ancient platforms proved not to be enough and were destroyed once the fleet was within range. As soon as possible, the separatist forces made planetfall on the three loyal planets.

On Baile, the separatist forces established a ‘beach head’ on the eastern agricultural continent. The first response to the separatist attack was the rag-tag Planetary Defence Force battalion station nearest. As the two forces clashed, several PDF officers, and soldiers loyal to them, turned upon their comrades, causing chaos and disorder among the ranks. The battleplan fell apart and the loyalists of the PDF battalion were either wiped out or forced to flee. The separatist advance in the eastern continent was slowed by the efforts of local farmers. At every farmhouse and homestead, surviving PDF officers had laid traps, using any advantage they had. One particular incident that was reported to Planetary Command was that separatist forces broke formation and fled when a herd of cattle stampeded into their lines.

On Baile II and Baile III, the 3rd and 5th Bailan Jaegers were the first to respond. Despite heavy losses, the Bailan Jaegers were able to halt the separatist advances for a short time.

Despite the long list of heroic feats recorded of soldiers and civilians, the separatist forces slowly pushed back the defenders of Baile. By 942.M41, the 4th Bailan Jaegers had been pushed back until most of the eastern and central continents were under separatist control. The capital of Baile, Cor Dun, was surrounded by separatist forces, who had breached the outer defences and now fought a guerrilla war with the 9th Company of the 4th Bailan Jaegers and a PDF detachment who had been stationed there. Other than a few small pockets of resistance, the only remaining loyalist controlled area on the central continent was a consistently shrinking zone surrounding the last remaining port on the western tip of the central continent. There the remains of the 4th Bailan Jaegers and remains of the PDF planned to make a final stand to buy enough time for transport ships filled with civilians flee to the loyalist western continent where the 2nd Bailan Jaegers had dug in and prepared for a separatist assault.

EDIT: Added more.

I think this might be as far as I go for the backstory of Baile as this leaves me in a good position to write about the battles as the crusade continues. I may go into more detail of why Baile has stayed loyal.

Any tips or advice on improving this would be much appreciated.

Quick question, since i plan to go into more detail about battles across the Baile system, would a seperate topic be better to keep all the information together?

Quite how much detail are you planning? If we start opening a topic per system, it'll never work. If you're planning on writing three novels' worth, a new topic could indeed be best.

If I were you, I'd edit new information into your original post about your system, perhaps in spoiler tags in order for it to not take up too much space.

System: Ultio

A system hit heavily by the Orks, by the time their infestation was finally cleared much of the system was declared inhabitable. The three remaining planets, Morthwyl, Tenshi, and Idajoleti, became heavily militarized in the process, with Tenshi and Idajoleti becoming the homeworlds of an Imperial Guard regiment and Space Marine chapter respectively. 

• 4 weeks later...

+++ Adeptus Ministorum Master System/Planetary Index - Entry 753.41.00284 +++

+++ Sealed By Word of the Abbess of the Adepta Sororitas +++

Segmentum Ultima - Blatus Sector - Fimbris Sub-Sector - Cylicgal System - Cylingal

Class: Shrine World

Population: 3.2 billion (approx, as of 700.M41)

Notes: Extremely temperate climate, prone to areas of dense foliage including vast but well tended forests and gardens, moderate polar ice caps, several aesthetically pleasing seas and mountain ranges, over 50,000,000 cathedrals, churches, shrines and statues

753.M41 - (Extracted from external source) Even after the recent destruction of Hive Fleet Behemoth we find we know little of these hideous invaders of our Emperor's domain. In order to alleviate our ignorance, Sisters from the Orders of the Lexicon [Order Famulous, Holy Terra - Convent Prioris] and Eternal Candle [Order Hospitaller, Ophelia VII - Convent Sanctorum] have been dispatched by order of the Abbess to the Cylingal System in the Baltus Sector, giving them ample opportunity to catalogue and study the remains of the Xeno fleet.

762.M41 - Minor civil unrest during a violent political transition in the sector.

762.M41 - The Cylingal Convent's reports stop.

768.M41 - Loss of contact with the Baltus Sector confirmed by multiple arms of the Adeprtus Ministorum, Adeptus Terra, and Adeptus Mechanicus

772.M41 - Cylingal Convent officially declared lost, all other records purged by word of the Abbess.

941.M41 - Prioress Helena of the Convent Sanctorum orders the recovery of the Cylingal Convent and the planet itself in conjunction with the Baltus Sector Crusade. The recovery is led by Canoness Commander Luxia Telnayan of the Order of the Valorous Heart and 150 Sisters of her Order.

Quick answers:

They were researching the Tyrinids that came into the galaxy with Hive Fleet Behemoth (which was destroyed just a couple years earlier). Being a shrine world and far enough away not to have been rated by nids probably influenced the choice of Cylingal. They would have created something of a library of data and observations about the nids. Since it was xeno research, it was kept secret.

It's a Shrine World, so the people are Imperial citizens, with a planetary governer and I assume a PDF force. Since it's a shrine world of the Imperial Cult, I doubt the Mechanicus has any real presence there beyond what is absolutely necessary (probably just tech priests visiting to make repairs on stuff that the locals can't fix).

There aren't any other habitable planets in the system, and because of the low population and single planet, I imagine Imperial Navy presence is mostly nonexistent.

There would have been a steady stream of pilgrims to the planet, probably most from within the sector, I'd think, but some would certainly come from farther away.

Seems reasonable, though I think there would be minimal naval presence with the number of pilgrims. Maybe an old light cruiser that sustained damage to the warp drive/ geller field and can't leave the system? Over time the space devoted to those systems has slowly been converted over to more weapons or propulsion.

Also probably a sizable orbital dock or two as a waypoint for all the pilgrims?

Speaking of fleet, that would be wise to determine what happened to Battlefleet Baltus. If it ever existed in the first place that is.

Did it retreat to Segmentum command after the sector has fallen? If so it would be the most reliable source of information about what happened there.

Did it get blown to pieces in some huge battle or chain of smaller ones?

or did it partially or fully turn away from the light of the Emperor? 

or combination of the above in specific degree? 

What do you guys think?

I doubt any of it got away to Segmentum command, some probably went with the separatists, most was probably destroyed in the fighting.

I would say the final percentages would look something like

Destroyed 50-65%

Now separatist 30-40%

Potentially salvageable wrecks 0-20%

Still loyalist somewhere in the sector 0-10%

Archived