Upcoming Primarch Novellas - Your Expectations

b1soul

As a RG fan, I'm actually not very excited for Corax's book. His character seems to be quite similar to the uprising and now in the heresy, so don't know what will exactly be interesting about it. If they write about the uprising that is, but what else would they write about? (Possibly purging the legion of terrans?)

Didn't want to necro the Guilliman thread and seeing as this is about the Primarch's books what did everyone think of it? I'm about 50 pages in and to be honest within the first 3-4 pages I disliked Guilliman already. That little soliloquy thing going on in his head where he constantly writes and rewrites strategums/codex verses just turned me off completely. He comes across as arrogant aswell, and seems to dislike his sub-commanders questioning him. (Quite the opposite to Corax, now that I mention it).

That whole theoretical: blah blah, practical: blah blah stuff is also mind-numbing. Like, the UM eventually go on to devise the Codex and follow it to the letter, we get it!.

I didn't enjoy the little verses at the start of each chapter either. Plus I realise it's the "Ultramarine way" to have a strategy for everything but to constantly question everything becomes quite tedious. Also as you say questioning their Primarch ... it's great that he wants them to learn and better themselves but there must be a point when he should say "I know best"

The mental re-writes let off after the opening. The interludes I actually think are on point and provide context for Guilliman's thought processes and the chapters' contents.

I didn't get the feeling that Guilliman dislikes his commanders questioning him - he just dislikes disobedience, which is no small matter on the battlefield. He has no trouble with Marius Gage questioning him, or commanders making on-the-fly decisions, if they are well considered.

The book is basically showing him as a highly principled and pragmatic character who struggles a little with his idealistic streak. He compromises his own forces for the sake of doing something meaningful in the long run, and restore the morale that's taken a hit after Monarchia, and he tries to find a better way for the Nemesis Chapter and their destroyers since their terran origin and role on the battlefield are at odds with the Ultramarines as a whole, despite their loyalty to Roboute. Instead of verbally thrashing them, he decides to break the status quo and bring in new blood, but still gave the supposed new chapter master a chance to prove his mettle to him - which didn't work so well, even though he redeemed himself in the end.

And Guilliman did in multiple instances assert his authority. He even reprimands one character for trying to get around the chain of command, yet also makes it clear after that soldiers aren't supposed to just blindly follow but understand some of the reasonings for their actions.

The whole theoretical/practical I still am not really sold on. But that's something Abnett brought to the table (and I wasn't sold on it then either), and I can't fault other authors for having to follow the example set by Dan to stay consistent. By the way, even Guilliman said the Codex wasn't worth much if the commanders let go of individual thinking and instead just adhered to it entirely. That's the whole tragedy of 40k UMs - they turned what were supposed to be really complex, intelligent and impressive guidelines into dogma, and any deviation can see you on trial. It is another instance of a Chapter missing the point of their Primarch's intentions.

I want to see:

Genuine character development - some of the books have the Primarchs as very one dimensional characters, or they show glimpses of great character exposé and development, but since they are a back ground character it disappears before it is explained too much. So for example, we know that Magnus the Red is obsessed with knowledge and believes that the pursuit of knowledge is a noble cause, no matter what subject matter it is. He believes that if you have knowledge then you have power and no knowledge is bad, just how you use it. But he is also a highly moral being also with a noble streak a mile wide; how does he reconcile that? A Thousand Sons could not really delve into that too much and Prospero Burns did not deal with it at all. Since then we haven't had much to do with Magnus apart from small cameos.

At what point of the Great Crusade did he reach the threshold of deciding that no matter what the scenario he can justify pursuing new knowledge, and the subsequent power it grants him, and it is consistent with the Imperium's ideals? At what point did he really cross the line before The Burning of Prospero that gained him the reputation as someone who doesn't know where the line is? We see that many Primarchs and other characters have this opinion of Magnus: that he doesn't know the line but he must have developed that reputation somehow during the Great Crusade other than just being a powerful psyker. Hopefully the upcoming Magnus book makes this a priority and doesn't focus on psychic explosions. 

Curze - meeting his Legion for the first time and look having long conversations with the Emperor on ethics.

Lion - Either showing the aftermath of Horus'appointment as warmaster, dealings with Alpharius, or aftermath of Luther's second betrayal.

Angron - the implantation of the nails on him and his Legion

Fulgrim - show him losing a fight to Horus/another Primarch or a battle where he leads all his men to their deaths then dealing with the aftermath.

Ferrus- a time when he was the only third.

Off the top of head smile.png

Things I most want.

Vulkan - Not to be written by Kyme.

Sanguinius - Not to be written by Swallow.

Corax - Not to be written by Thorpe.

I just want somebody else to have a go at these Primarchs. Hate that Swallow in particular seems to have sole ownership of Sanguinius and the Blood Angels.

Swallow hasn't really written for them in years. In the meantime, David Annandale, Guy Haley, Andy Smillie and more all had Blood Angels tackled. Dante is out soon, by Haley, Annandale did Mephiston and Lemartes, and even Darius Hinks is doing a Mephiston book now.

I'd say the days of Swallow having them on lockdown due to his veteran status are long over.

Personally I'd like too see from the remainder;

Vulkan- Something not written by Nick Kyme. You could give me a story about Vulkan playing with his toy pony collection and I'd enjoy it if it got me away from; "Fire! Anvil! Fire! Anvil! Fire Fire! Firrrrrrrre!"

Corax- I've always felt the Primarch books should be ones that add to the mainline story in someway. The Terrain Purge would be perfect for this.

The Khan- A story about his early relationship with the Emperor.

Ferrus- A story that shows us just why he was so respected. I actually feel one of the best ways to do this would he too so him mentoring one of his brother Primarchs, but then you run the risk of the story losing it's focus.

The Lion- Something that doesn't revolve around his relationship with Current. I'd have enough.

Sanguinius- Give it too Aaron dammit, let the man work his magic.

Dorn- His fallout with Peturabo.

Horus- Either Ullanor (Just a snippet) , or the early years of the Crusade.

Curze- The Dark King story. In full, rather than just an audio.

Alpharius- I have no idea. His fallout with Guilliman?

Fulgrim- The Blight

Mortarion- Buildup to Nikea

Angron- Reuniting with the Legion, and how that changed them.

Man, I just want to see some more Horus, he's been a side character since those first 3 books.

This.

He had a major role in Vengeful Spirit, main scene in 'Warmaster' audio and a lot of short appearances in different HH novels - but yes, in general he has a very little spotlight since the beginning.

And you do understand guys that Alpharius one would be the best Primarchs novella ever biggrin.png

I'd like that book to touch on the twins discovery, have them be the beginning and the end, alpharius being the face, the first thing the enemy see, then omegon standing over the enemy at the end.

The this account is a lie at the end of the book would be fantastic

Part of me want the Dorn novel to be about the falling out with Perturabo. Part of me doesn't. It's such a cliche subject that it will naturally fall into the Seth Rogan movie story line of friends, not friends, and then friends again. Or at least mutually respect each other. It would be much cooler if they just hate each other from the very beginning like the two nerds who want to out nerd each other every hobby store ever has. There is also the issue of the series just becoming 'Primarchs Rivalries Explained' if they go down this road, since they are doing Russ and the Lion.

I don't know which book could do it since Russ and Guilliman have been finished, but a novel about the Dauntless Few kicking Xenos backside would be a treat.

I want Dorn's book to get deep into Inwit culture. There's hardly been any of that so far and it'd be lovely to see it fleshed out.

That's cultural appropriation. laugh.png rolleyes.gif

Seriously though. I do too. Nice unique niche.

Part of me want the Dorn novel to be about the falling out with Perturabo. Part of me doesn't. It's such a cliche subject that it will naturally fall into the Seth Rogan movie story line of friends, not friends, and then friends again. Or at least mutually respect each other. It would be much cooler if they just hate each other from the very beginning like the two nerds who want to out nerd each other every hobby store ever has. There is also the issue of the series just becoming 'Primarchs Rivalries Explained' if they go down this road, since they are doing Russ and the Lion.

I don't know which book could do it since Russ and Guilliman have been finished, but a novel about the Dauntless Few kicking Xenos backside would be a treat.

I like the approach in Extermination, where there was no one dramatic falling out incident, just multiple cases of personalities clashing. That nerd thing in particular, their similarities making it worse. Doesn't lend itself well to a book but if you must have primarchs arguing bitterly, why not Dorn and Curze. Or Dorn and Guilliman. Or Dorn and Ferrus. Or Dorn and the Lion.tongue.png

Dorn being gifted the Phalanx.

Corax in the first few years before hes fully grown, Its been touched on, but not expanded. Growing his guerilla cells. Maybe he even kissed the girl.

The Khan. Riding the plains. Tribe gets beaten up by a psyker. Jag convinces them to fight for him, a mister miyagi moment.

Sangy, the first time the blood is in trouble and he loses his marbles.

Morty. Well it has to be his tower assent and being saved.

Kurze would be a good one. As hes dragging himself out of the lava, burning alive and healing at the same time. Left? flash foward to the future, Dorn, Horus.  Right? The Lion. Lots of little future tidbits could be put in that book.

Archived