Upcoming Primarch Novellas - Your Expectations

b1soul

Just finished Roboute Guilliman: Lord of Ultramar. It was decent, but not really what I was hoping for, considering the far more interesting subject matter we seem to be getting for other books. I think all the right ingredients were in this one, but in entirely the wrong ratios.This is our only glimpse at crusade-era Guilliman, and I think there was too much given to the crusade-era, and not enough to the Guilliman.

Tell me more about Guilliman wrestling with preserving a lost civilization. Tell me more about the death of his adoptive father and the reign of Gallan. Tell me more about his and his legion's feelings on Monarchia. Instead we glimpses, little looks into subjects far more interesting than the slaughter of orks. It feels like the meaty bits and the peripheral details got switched, and instead we have to trudge through a literal mountain of orks to catch a glimpse of anything interesting.

Still, I can't say I didn't enjoy it. David is no Dan, especially when it comes to Guilliman, but he does a better job with the character than the others tackling the character so far, maybe even beating out Aaron's in Betrayer. The side-characters all felt distinct, which is something several heresy-era books cannot boast, and the pacing is mercifully quick. An alright read, I certainly don't regret it, but I have higher hopes for what comes next.

Just finished Roboute Guilliman: Lord of Ultramar. It was decent, but not really what I was hoping for, considering the far more interesting subject matter we seem to be getting for other books. I think all the right ingredients were in this one, but in entirely the wrong ratios.This is our only glimpse at crusade-era Guilliman, and I think there was too much given to the crusade-era, and not enough to the Guilliman.

Tell me more about Guilliman wrestling with preserving a lost civilization. Tell me more about the death of his adoptive father and the reign of Gallan. Tell me more about his and his legion's feelings on Monarchia. Instead we glimpses, little looks into subjects far more interesting than the slaughter of orks. It feels like the meaty bits and the peripheral details got switched, and instead we have to trudge through a literal mountain of orks to catch a glimpse of anything interesting.

Still, I can't say I didn't enjoy it. David is no Dan, especially when it comes to Guilliman, but he does a better job with the character than the others tackling the character so far, maybe even beating out Aaron's in Betrayer. The side-characters all felt distinct, which is something several heresy-era books cannot boast, and the pacing is mercifully quick. An alright read, I certainly don't regret it, but I have higher hopes for what comes next.

Lord of Ultramar shouldn't have been a first book. Tis boring and uninspiring. Leman Russ would have been a much better starter for a series. And that's from me - space puppies hater, lol

The one i am looking forward to most would be the Khan, I would hope they would delve into his relationship with the Emperor and how aloof that said relationship is.

I mean in vengeful spirit i think even the Emperor was not sure about the Khans loyalities and i would love to know why that is the case in more depth.

As to who I think they will do next? I would assume a loyalist one as they are doing 3 fallen primarchs a the moment.

The one i am looking forward to most would be the Khan, I would hope they would delve into his relationship with the Emperor and how aloof that said relationship is.

I mean in vengeful spirit i think even the Emperor was not sure about the Khans loyalities and i would love to know why that is the case in more depth.

As to who I think they will do next? I would assume a loyalist one as they are doing 3 fallen primarchs a the moment.

Novella about Khan having a regicide game with the Emperor biggrin.png

I think Scars says everything you need to know about why the Khan's loyalties were suspect, especially from the Emperor's point of view.

I think Scars says everything you need to know about why the Khan's loyalties were suspect, especially from the Emperor's point of view.

Not because of friendship of Horus. They all doubted his loyalties - cause of his 'freedom'. Khan is a free soul, like an eagle he is free to do what he likes - and that's why they doubted that he will support the Empra and not sided with Horus

Khan is like the Lion. A master unto himself. Except where the lion exhibits arrogance and a demand for instant respect. (Probably because of his lonely up bringing and being revered as "THE" leader in calibanite culture, the Khan is open, friendly, yet stronger in his brotherly bond's. Although he does not let this obscure his vision. Although he was good friends with Le Man Russ he still didn't drop everything to assist him during the Horus Heresy. He knew he would be needed on Terra. Loyalty through Honor. Although I am not sure how Russ felt on the matter, 

Khan is like the Lion. A master unto himself. Except where the lion exhibits arrogance and a demand for instant respect. (Probably because of his lonely up bringing and being revered as "THE" leader in calibanite culture, the Khan is open, friendly, yet stronger in his brotherly bond's. Although he does not let this obscure his vision. Although he was good friends with Le Man Russ he still didn't drop everything to assist him during the Horus Heresy. He knew he would be needed on Terra. Loyalty through Honor. Although I am not sure how Russ felt on the matter, 

That's explained to the point in 'Path of Heaven' 

Did you read Brotherhood of the Storm, Scars, or Path of Heaven?

The old lore (Collected Visions) describes the Khan and Russ as close brothers when Alaxxes transpires

That has been retconned by Wraight. The two are not close at all during the HH

The Khan is fundamentally a nomad, with little interest in empire-building. Moreover, having been brought up in a culture that preaches a middle ground between walking the "Path of Heaven" or pretending it and the aether don't exist, he disagrees with the Emperor over the Imperial Truth. He sends his closest advisor to support the Librarius at Nikaea and then doesn't indicate at all that he'll adhere to the Edict. He was only ever close to Horus, arch-traitor, and Magnus, who was proclaimed a traitor and then apparently killed by the Wolves.

The Khan is fundamentally a nomad, with little interest in empire-building. Moreover, having been brought up in a culture that preaches a middle ground between walking the "Path of Heaven" or pretending it and the aether don't exist, he disagrees with the Emperor over the Imperial Truth. He sends his closest advisor to support the Librarius at Nikaea and then doesn't indicate at all that he'll adhere to the Edict. He was only ever close to Horus, arch-traitor, and Magnus, who was proclaimed a traitor and then apparently killed by the Wolves.

Exactly. I think if people will read Scars/Path of Heaven - they will get their answers in full msn-wink.gif

Pondering this a bit today and came upon this thread. So, setting aside the five we already saw/know about (Guilliman, Russ, Magnus, Perturabo and Lorgar):

Lion El'Jonson: His early years crusading would probably be good, but we've seen that (albeit very poorly) in Descent of Angels. So maybe some Great Crusading would be better, establishing his legion a bit more.

Fulgrim: I could see something of his early days here, how he influenced the culture of Chemos and how he saved his legion when found.

Jaghatai Khan: This is one of the ones where I really feel some early days stuff could be great. Seeing how he waged his wars on Chogoris, seeing his meeting with the Emperor and establishing that interesting relationship.

Rogal Dorn: Someone here mentioned finding the Phalanx. I'll throw my hat into that one too.

Konrad Curze: On the one hand, his early years have a lot of potential, but we already saw that, and very well done, in Prince of Crows. So maybe more about him applying that philosophy to the Great Crusade, and his brittle relationship with his legion.

Sanguinius: I'm strongly expecting something like seeing the first instance of the Red Thirst and how this affects Sanguinius.

Ferrus Manus: As others have mentioned, we really need to see some of his expertise as a general. We've heard about it, but rarely seen much of it in action.

Angron: Like the Khan, I'm hoping to see his early years here, perhaps glimpse him before the Nails and then seeing his uprising on Nuceria.

Mortarion: This one I could see going either way, since we've seen so little of him and his legion anyway. Stuff on Barbarus or in the Crusade would both work I think.

Horus: Given the deliberate mystery about his real origins, I doubt we'll see any of that, and more likely the Luna Wolves showing why they were so highly regarded. Almost a shame this is focused on the primarchs, as I'd love to see the original assault on Luna.

Vulkan: Promethean Sun showed us Vulkan both on his homeworld and crusading with his legion, so in a way we've seen both sides of that. But there's also that contest he had with the Emperor on Nocturne, I think that's got some potential.

Corax: We did see some of his rebellion on Lycaeus through flashbacks in Deliverance Lost, but that could still be one way to go. Then again, we've hardly seen any of this legion during the Crusade, so potential there, and the Battle of Gate 42 springs to mind.

Alpharius: Like Horus I very much doubt we'll see any of his early days, but more of his legion and it's ways in the Crusade.

With regards Corax, I'm hopeful for the Battle of Gate 42 and the purging of the Terrans from the XIX. Their methods of warfare were deemed too brutal for his vision of the legion and thus banished. It's said multiple times that even in the aftermath of the dropsite massacre that he refused to recall them into the order of battle for the Raven Guard.

The Raven Guard extensively utilise units such as Destroyers, Dark Furies and Mor Deythan which in my opinion are quite brutal anyway (in particular the Dark Furies, who basically land and eviscerate everything in sight), so I'm keen to see if they give an insight into why the Terrans were exiled or explore it in some depth. If they even follow this arc anyway.

Edit: and not to be written be Thorpe, but we all know that hope is the road........

Edit: and not to be written be Thorpe, but we all know that hope is the road........

I don't know, I'd say with most of these it's anyone's guess, they seem to be varying things up a little. Graham McNeill doing Magnus is conventional, and Chris Wraight has done Russ before. But David Annandale doing Guilliman, Guy Haley doing Perturabo, Gav Thorpe doing Lorgar and David Guymer (someone who's never even done any HH stuff before) doing Ferrus Manus are all pretty unique. Plus Mr. McNeill has also said on twitter that he isn't doing Fulgrim. So who knows, they may surprise us.

I don't know, I'd say with most of these it's anyone's guess, they seem to be varying things up a little. Graham McNeill doing Magnus is conventional, and Chris Wraight has done Russ before. But David Annandale doing Guilliman, Guy Haley doing Perturabo, Gav Thorpe doing Lorgar and David Guymer (someone who's never even done any HH stuff before) doing Ferrus Manus are all pretty unique. Plus Mr. McNeill has also said on twitter that he isn't doing Fulgrim. So who knows, they may surprise us.

They could - but in case of Guilliman - it was fail 

Plus Mr. McNeill has also said on twitter that he isn't doing Fulgrim. So who knows, they may surprise us.

I hope Nick Kyme doesn't do Vulkan...

Curze must be done by ADB

Khan has to be done by Wraight

Yes, yes and yes. I can't figure out yet how to melt Rob Sanders and John French together to create an amazing AL Primarch novella biggrin.png

I want Sanguinius to be an Archangel and have some divine wrath going on. I don't want any real mention of the flaw. I want it to show his merciful side, and his ruthless "free my people" side when the opponent refuses the Emperor's gracious offer of salvation.

Or his life on Baal!

For what it's worth, I was in the Hayley/Wraight reading on the morning of BLL. Me and one other.

From what I heard (at length) of Guy reading & talking about it, Perturabo is sounding quite good indeed.

msn-wink.gif

Haley loves bringing a somewhat harder sci-fi approach to the setting (as seen in Baneblade, Death of Integrity, and Engine of Mork) which is just the sort of approach that fits Perturabo.

I want to see just why so many of the other Primarchs, Custodes, Legionnaires etc, all talk about Sanguinius the way they do. We've really seen nothing of him so far, as Fear to Tread, imo, really didn't bring anything to him or the Legion in general.

I'd also love to see someone other than Kyme do Vulkan, but I don't see it happening. 

Archived