My "Vostroyan Legion"

tvih

Well, I did the windows now (well, they're not very visible anyway) and the skulls/wing stuff, but frankly I'm not sure if there's that much else to do. Not quite up to spec compared to the SL Sentinel on GW's webstore perhaps, but it'll do :P I'm sure it'll stomp those ewoks... wait, which universe was this again? :unsure.:

By the way, I'm a bit confused about the Steel Legion emblem. It is a lightning bolt in a circle... but on the transfer sheet it's all black, and the bolt strikes "down". However on the Codex's Chimera picture as well as on the Sentinel in the webshop it is striking up and is red? Is there some significance to the color and/or orientation? Also on the infantry models it is a bit different type of bolt but that's no biggie.

Mainly it seems the black emblem would stand out quite poorly from the model. I suppose applying it would make it easier to then paint red on top of it.

Also looking at the transfer sheet, I found it curious I don't even know who many of the darn emblems belong to. Especially the white "Dorn-like" fist got me curious?

Ah, I see. Hmm... well, I suppose I could still technically use the campaign badge as a base for the regimental emblem - though I suppose I have to put in on "the wrong way" (flipped around). I'll have to try it out to see if it'll work.

I was supposed to work on the Sisters but after the success of the Sentinel I decided I wanted to try a SL Chimera. Big mistake as it turns out:

15725236_10207534798066801_1402067571_o.

Nice job, you stupid spray bottle. Drying times suggested on the bottles were observed but that is of little comfort. I don't even have enough paint removal stuff to strip this and the sides + floor of paint. What a waste of time and paint :wacko.: I guess I have to build the second Chimera if I'm to do any Chimera-painting tomorrow.

Oh well, at least the Sentinel is now "officially done", varnish and all:
http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ig-sl-sentinel2.jpg

Now where the heck did those filthy xenos come from?:furious:

Edited by tvih

Found some paint removal stuff after all. Downside is that it doesn't work on the primer and in some of the pieces the "cracking" seems to have imprinted itself  on the primer layer from the black. Why did I think using primer on plastic was a good idea, again? It never is :dry.: Would've saved so much paint and hassle had I not used it and went for directly black instead.

Soo, after several days of not finding my drybrush (Chaos must've stolen it), I finally bought a new one... and lo and behold, the result is a Chimera.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/ig-sl-chimera1.jpg

Now that I'm getting the hang of this drybrushing thing, I'm thinking it'll have consequences with my other armies and how I paint them :tongue.: I'd dare say these two SL vehicles are the best-looking vehicles I've done, despite the techniques used being very simple. As such I'll have to see about trying to apply what I've learned here to at least the marine paint schemes. My Sisters being silver, I'm not sure what could be done there.

Edited by tvih

I have the Sisters Exorcist basecoated and waiting for detail brushing, but I reckon I will also assemble the Leman Russ tank in short order and paint it with that scheme. I have the second Chimera but that is supposed to be in Vostroyan colors (I will probably get two more transports at some point, but not in the immediate future. I think I will use drybrushing on it too, just not sure of which two paints to use! Darned GW for not giving a guide for Vostroyan vehicles :P

Oh and of course there is the Taurox. I was thinking of doing the scions in SL colors, so perhaps the Taurox then too. That means two more SL vehicles to paint, though the Taurox was not really on my priority list - gotta get some of that infantry done, otherwise what good is it to have transports? ;)

Mainly thinking of the marine vehicles.

There are a few options I'm considering for Templars. Either do it like I did with these, black and then the overall drybrush, although not quite as heavily as with these since black is supposed to be the primary color, after all. Then wash entirely with Nuln Oil. I'm thinking with the airbrush, because brushed washes on flat surfaces then to look horrible. This would hopefully blend the drybrushing to the black and tone it down. Alternative may just make the first thorough drybrush with a quite dark black/gray mix. After that finish with another light drybrush over all the edges.

Option two would be to only the latter, the edge drybrushing, as a replacement for the line highlighting. It'd be faster and potentially could look better and more natural.

For CF it's trickier, I'm not sure how the Regal Blue would work drybrushed. Here I'd likely do only the edge drybrush, because airbrushing the vehicles already makes them a notch lighter than my infantry is.

Anyway that's a bit off-topic for this forum I suppose :P I'm right now in the process of assembling the Leman Russ Executioner. Current effort is focused into sponson magnetization.

Disaster has struck! I suspect Chaos sabotage :furious:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/lemanruss-weapon-damage1.jpg

First time I see something like this!

Edited by tvih

Bought it from an UK online store, sending it back would be tricky. Besides I've assembled the main hull already including the magnets and also primed and basecoated, would rather not redo it entirely... but I suppose I'll just have to wait and see what the retailer says, I did sent them mail right away.

• 2 weeks later...

So, had two 1000pt battles with my Sisters + Guard list against Tyranids (worth nothing it's been almost two years since my last battle, and more than that with non-marines). I won both matches as he had a rather relaxed list (not that mine was exactly top notch either given two HQs and such), and my metal boxes protected my infantry quite well and my Sisters' meltaguns were poison to his Warriors (while LR & co made short work of gaunts). I was hoping to play against other armies but they were stuck playing a four-player 2000pt game for 7 hours (!) so no such luck this time! Anyway, a couple of pics of Steel Legion representing (I had my LR, Chimera, Sentinel and a Veteran Squad, all SL except for one Vostroyan Plasma gun since I don't have three SL plasma guns).

http://i.imgur.com/scUQpY6h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wmX5qm7h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UQG2CFRh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0RXIoRnh.jpg

Speaking of those plasma guns, in the first match two burnt themselves out of the game in the same turn shooting out of the hatch of the Chimera with non-rapid fire. In the second game all three burned at the same time using rapid fire on a Carnifex (on the upside the Carnifex died too). If only SL and Vostroyan had those damn melta gun models :tongue.: Additionally despite not using the plasma turret the LR managed to take a hull point off itself in both matches (total of 8 turns I think, and didn't even fire the plasmas in 3 of those turns).

Edited by tvih

• 4 weeks later...

So, with finally a full squad of infantry having been painted for Ioria phase 1, I think for phase 2 I'll try my hand at the Scions. It'd be cool to do both Vostroyan and Steel Legion scions I think, but while admittedly Steel Legion has their specific look too, there's just something that seems off with a non-fur hat Vostroyan. Also if I painted 5 and 5 then I'd have to permanently assign guns to each platoon. Why can't I ever just stick with a single faction? :P

In any case I'm magnetizing weapon options but given the backpack connectors it seems it'd require a bit of extra work in some cases.

Ugh, so many non-smooth surface joins if one wants to modularize the weapons options with these guys :( So much easier with marines with all the standard spare arms and normally smooth wrist joins. Not sure if it can even be properly done here. A short pin would be easier, however the pin alone likely won't hold in place.

To start with I'm thinking of making 4 melta guys for a command squad (so gotta convert two more meltas) and then two volley guns for the scion squad. The meltas largely because being a Vostroyan/Steel Legion player, my troop models have zero meltas. Sucks though that the base models pay a premium for the hot-shot weapons but then have to pay a full price for the upgrade weapons. Anyway, thinking of maybe making the command squad vostroyan, and the scion squad Steel Legion. If I run just a bigger scion squad, then it'll have to be mixed I guess - but in any case this would require being able to modularize enough to have enough regular hot-shot lasguns to pull that off. Sigh.