My Alpharius

Vogon

I second the dead marine to be alpha legion, maybe in a subtlety different colour to show loyalty to the other one.

How good are the details on Alpharius? Also how tall is the main body compared to normal marines? My Alpha Legion are Loyalist so I cannot use him but I am tempted to convert him into just a really fancy Praetor, probably head swap and weapon swap.

The details are amazing. I’m really looking forward to painting him.

As far as scale goes, he’s pretty big.

gallery_92760_11494_1309530.jpeg

The model is on a par if not slightly taller than Horus when measured feet to top of head. Horus’ Terminator plate gives him extra height and bulk but Alpharius is not far behind. Not bad for the smallest of the Primarchs.

Cheers

Vogon.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve taken an updated group shot of the army so far

1 what to take to take the fight to some Talons of the Emperor in July

2 what to add next.

What a beautiful army. Everything ties in together really well. Congratulations, must be a joy and pride to play with it! :) As to what to add next, especially if you are fighting Custodes, I'd say max out your Vindicator slot as you are already at 4 Heavy Supports, so you can't really add more can you? Or alternatively, get a tactical support squad with plasma. It might be expensive points wise, but how else are you going to punch through those 2+ armor saves? Did you play the choom squad? How did it fare? I am very curious. I love everything volkite and I have a bag of calivers waiting for the right squad :)

What a beautiful army. Everything ties in together really well. Congratulations, must be a joy and pride to play with it! :) As to what to add next, especially if you are fighting Custodes, I'd say max out your Vindicator slot as you are already at 4 Heavy Supports, so you can't really add more can you? Or alternatively, get a tactical support squad with plasma. It might be expensive points wise, but how else are you going to punch through those 2+ armor saves? Did you play the choom squad? How did it fare? I am very curious. I love everything volkite and I have a bag of calivers waiting for the right squad :)

Thanks man, it’s been a long project but a lot of fun. The Choom squad so far has only been fielded as a five man unit but I’ve hade quite a bit of success with it against other marines and Solar Auxiliaries. The higher to wound rate thanks to the St6 tends to counter the lower ap.

Still not tried against Talons but am hoping for a similar idea, more wounds = more chances to fail a saving throw.

Cheers

Vogon

Thanks for the feedback on the Choom-marines. I mainly play Marines vs Marines so AP3 is the gold standard and pushes me towards plasma all the time, but I just love the volkites and the fluff. I'll settle for a unit that is reasonably effective but very cool!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alpharius and the Primus Medicae finished and ready for battle. It’s been a longer than normal painting project thanks mostly to family commitments taking the kids places during what would normally be my hobby time but I got there in the end.

gallery_92760_11494_996559.jpeg

Alpharius was a lot of fun to paint I particularly enjoyed my first ever Imperial Fist model. I had a lot of debates with various people over the colour of the cape and in fact what Legion to do the fallen marine. It came down to IF or AL but chatting with one guy in particular decided that the yellow would work as a strong contrasting colour and doing another AL while good thematically would make the whole thing look just a bit too one colour

gallery_92760_11494_205836.jpeg

Now to work on the Fire Raptor

Cheers

Vogon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I’m resurrecting this thread with the new Triumph and Treachery coming up.

I’m looking for inspiration for an Alpha Legion Saboteur do any of you guys have one you’ve made and painted?

Cheers

Vogon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m resurrecting this thread with the new Triumph and Treachery coming up.

I’m looking for inspiration for an Alpha Legion Saboteur do any of you guys have one you’ve made and painted?

Cheers

Vogon

i haven't painted him yet, but i took inspiration from this one: http://warpstoneflux.blogspot.com/2016/02/alpha-legion-saboteur-model.html

while i'm here -- what's your blue recipe, Vogon?  looks fantastic.

i haven't painted him yet, but i took inspiration from this one: http://warpstoneflux.blogspot.com/2016/02/alpha-legion-saboteur-model.htmlwhile i'm here -- what's your blue recipe, Vogon?  looks fantastic.

Thanks for the link.

It’s Sotek green base followed by a wash of druchii violet then highlighted with Sotek again and a final highlight with Temple Guard Blue.

Cheers

Vogon

• 10 months later...

Time for another update.

It does feel like with all my other projects that the only time I paint Alpha Legion these days is for Loyalty and Treachery but that’s not necessarily a bad thing, at least it keeps my army building, even if it is slowly.

Anyway, first up is my new preator, armed with lightning claws and a jump pack, just right to lead my assault squads.

gallery_92760_11494_760147.jpeg

And then a fire Raptor. It’s been in the garage for about 2 years waiting for me to get around to painting it and I’m finally getting to it.

gallery_92760_11494_944268.jpeg

Depending on how quickly I get through these two and the rest of my L&T Vow, I also have a couple of other units waiting in the wings to add, but we’ll see how I get on.

Cheers

Vogon