Master of Mankind - Review or Spoilers?

Scribe

Just got to the description of the Eternity Gate, a splendidly well done rendition of the classic artwork from the old Codex Imperialis into text ADB. Brought the image fresh to mind, even though I haven't seen that picture for the better part of a decade.

Edited to add: is that a white/blue dress reference a few pages on?

I've read the first few chapters, 20% in so far. What a way to start a cold saturday. There's so much gravitas in everything that has happened so far, even if most of it is just setting the stage for the rest of the book. I don't think I've ever seen a servitor's "death" in such impressive detail either.

If this holds up I can definitely see why Laurie would call this AD-B's best.

Just finished it. I really can't say anything. Unexpected ending for Ra.

My favourite moments were the insight into the Emperor's mind and behaviour.

The way he sees the primarchs, his plan, the way he exemplifies Ra his decisions and the path he choose with the cliff and the ocean.

Arkham gave me a Sheldon vibe.

I could only imagine the Emperor last fight as an anime lol.

Wow u read it already!?! Still waiting for my hardcopy although tempted to get ebook too ha. I have a horrible tendency to let the book sit there on my desk admiring the cover and finding the perfect time to read it.

About half way into the book. So far I really enjoy it. So far one of the most intriguing parts is the discussion of loyalty, and what you are loyal for. The Imperium or the Emperor himself.

It got me thinking about the traitor primarch who fell had a stronger reletionship towards the Emperor, either as a person or is ideology for mankind. And the loyal sons, at least to me seems to have a stronger tie to the Imperium, or mankind as a whole.

Spoiler free.

Finished it a little earlier. It's simply very, very good and a great pleasure to read. To me, the best parts of the storytelling of the Heresy are when we get to see the untold parts of the setting for a the first time and how different the world is to what comes after. This novel has that in spades. For example, the long pilgrimage to the Eternity Gate had the same sense of disquiet and wonder as the Fellowship's wandering across Middle Earth in LotR.

Between this and ADB's Talon of Horus, it feels like he's carved himself a niche in the setting similar to the Dan-iverse, creating something both deeply a part of and distinctly apart from the main setting. The way the warp and daemon-kind are described remains the most interesting take on it in I've seen. Same-same, ADB's description of the webway, of the Silent Sisters, and the visions of the Emperor - all things as an audience we have waited years to read about - are done justice in a way that made the waiting pay off.

The Emperor's portrayal - as the Omnissiah, the Master of Mankind, as a cold tyrant - was balanced well. The character had the depth such an important figure in the setting deserved but didn't get pinned down in a definitive way; he was left enough room to be both all the versions of him that we've seen before and none of them. This literary flexibility didn't feel like a cop-out; it gives us the audience room to find our own views (which doubtless we'll do this in thread quite vigorously).

And, above all, the MDRC got it's CHOOM!

About half way into the book. So far I really enjoy it. So far one of the most intriguing parts is the discussion of loyalty, and what you are loyal for. The Imperium or the Emperor himself.

It got me thinking about the traitor primarch who fell had a stronger reletionship towards the Emperor, either as a person or is ideology for mankind. And the loyal sons, at least to me seems to have a stronger tie to the Imperium, or mankind as a whole.

Comment not directly related to the book (still waiting for my copy - grmbl). My apologies if considered off-topic.

In the fluff of the old Epic game, the Loyalist battle cry was "For The Emperor", whereas the Traitors proclaimed "For Horus and Humanity".

That would indicate that they (at least some of them) truly believed that Horus would be a more benevolent Emperor.

Old-Four-Arms

What was your expectation though? That the E would be shown as some golden perfect leader?

From what I've gleaned so far, nothing has changed, he continues to be many things from many perspectives.

Don't engage him, he literally shows up to :cuss on ADB then leaves for weeks at a time.

Comment not directly related to the book (still waiting for my copy - grmbl). My apologies if considered off-topic.

In the fluff of the old Epic game, the Loyalist battle cry was "For The Emperor", whereas the Traitors proclaimed "For Horus and Humanity".

That would indicate that they (at least some of them) truly believed that Horus would be a more benevolent Emperor.

Old-Four-Arms

They have definitely made it clear the Emperor didn't particularly care for the Primarchs or space marines. Even the ones that stay loyal he has no love for. It's a necessary evolution, but at the same time this guy would not take the time to talk to as many individual space marines as he does in other novels.

Archived