Imperial Fists Storm Shields and Tartaros

Ragnair

Hey, I have been discussing Storm Shields for Imperial Fists as I am making them as my second legion, and the question is - Is it possible to have them with Tartaros terminator armour? Because the wording says "standard terminator armor for 15pts"..10 for cataphractii... And Tartaros probably isn't "standard" terminator armor, is it? Have found somewhere that it should be indomitus, so the 40k one...

Tartaros isn't standard anymore ever since they gave it its own rules so those of us who had them before are SOL and those who are looking to make some: its currently illegal.

Whether its oversight or intentional is anyones guess.

Hey, I have been discussing Storm Shields for Imperial Fists as I am making them as my second legion, and the question is - Is it possible to have them with Tartaros terminator armour? Because the wording says "standard terminator armor for 15pts"..10 for cataphractii... And Tartaros probably isn't "standard" terminator armor, is it? Have found somewhere that it should be indomitus, so the 40k one...

You will find in a lot of local groups that the situation is simply being resolved by a house rule allowing them to be put on all three. I would suggest contacting your local groups and seeing which way they play this.

It's a little subjective due to when and how the rules were clarified but, yes, it is currently illegal.

It's sort of easy to see why it would be intentional. 3++ and running/ sweeping makes IF Tartaros some of the Best vanilla termies out there with little drawbacks for sure. Especially in Stone Gauntlet where they can get T5.

It's a little subjective due to when and how the rules were clarified but, yes, it is currently illegal.

It's sort of easy to see why it would be intentional. 3++ and running/ sweeping makes IF Tartaros some of the Best vanilla termies out there with little drawbacks for sure. Especially in Stone Gauntlet where they can get T5.

That's hardly broken though.

Like the 15 Tartaros Terminators I currently have sitting on my painting desk being "illegal" makes me grit my teeth to no end since Ive had them for 2-3 years...

Like the 15 Tartaros Terminators I currently have sitting on my painting desk being "illegal" makes me grit my teeth to no end since Ive had them for 2-3 years...

Slips , I will make more  SS Tartaros Termis next week , just so we can suffer together ! 

Slips , I will make more  SS Tartaros Termis next week , just so we can suffer together ! 

Yay! *cries*

• 1 month later...

Little bit more credance to the "Cataphractii only" argument:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/01/16/new-kit-for-your-cataphractii-terminators/

Specifically calls the shields out as being compatible with Cataphractii, while this could simply be because there is a plastic kit for them, it does mention the resin too!

Ummm because that is the Cataphractii Storm Shields, just like the below is the Tartaros specific Storm Shield:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-AT/Space-Marine-Terminator-Weapon-Set

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/01/16/new-kit-for-your-cataphractii-terminators/

Specifically calls the shields out as being compatible with Cataphractii, while this could simply be because there is a plastic kit for them, it does mention the resin too!

Ummm because that is the Cataphractii Storm Shields, just like the below is the Tartaros specific Storm Shield:

You will note that is not in the 30k section of the website.  Tartaros in 40K are just regular terminators, just like they used to be in 30K. As rules currently written, this thread consensus is right, no shields for Tartaros.

You will note that is not in the 30k section of the website.  Tartaros in 40K are just regular terminators, just like they used to be in 30K. As rules currently written, this thread consensus is right, no shields for Tartaros.

lol ok

I did a while ago (after the latest red book was issued)

The gist of the reply was that Tartaros armour wasnt used by IF do you can't take shields.

Fealt like a rushed answer to me which also doesn't tally with some of the art work. I still think it's an oversight that will hopefully (fingers crossed!) get sorted in a future FAQ.

That said, as it stands, I'm not taking Tartaros with shields (which is a shame as they would be our best 'unique unit' IMO - without being overpowered).

Maybe

But as good as FW is i wouldn't give them

too much credit - I feel it's just another example of some disjointed rules writing.

When you could take Tartaros and shields I never heard anyone moan that they were Op - you had to pay a lot of points to have 3++ sweep!

Maybe

too much credit - I feel it's just another example of some disjointed rules writing.

When you could take Tartaros and shields I never heard anyone moan that they were Op - you had to pay a lot of points to have 3++ sweep!

Its not a lot of points... its 5 ppm

Maybe

A vigil pattern stormshield is 15 points per model  on tartaros armor 

A vigil pattern sotmrshield is  10 points per model on Cataprachtii armor

A powerfist is 5 points per model. 

If only they were only 5 ppm! (Lucky salamanders!!)

You also need to factor in the fact that they are losing their combi bolter (which is BS5 for IF) perhaps not a huge sacrifice but still should be taken into account.

IMO they are not an auto include but are a very popular option for IF players because;

They are a competitive unit - I won't deny, it but they are far from OP

Our unique units are very underwhelming

They posses unique wargear and so are a fluffy unit to take

They look great

I'm still going to take them but only on cataphractii now

Posted · Hidden by Slips, January 29, 2017 - Unhelpful.
Hidden by Slips, January 29, 2017 - Unhelpful.

Maybe

A vigil pattern stormshield is 15 points per model  on Indomitus armor 

A vigil pattern sotmrshield is  10 points per model on Cataprachtii armor

A powerfist is 5 points per model. 

Fixed.

Archived