Assault Marines from BoP

foamy248

Hey all,

I may purchase the BoP box set, and I'm pondering whether I should attempt to convert Assault Marines out of some of the tactical in the box. I have some sanguinary guard jump-packs which I could use, but I would need bolt pistols and chainswords. So, does anyone know if the box contains chain swords/bolt pistols? If so, how many? And how feasible would it be to convert the Assault Marines.

Thanks smile.png

There is one bolt pistol and chainsword arm set per 10 marines... aka, there are 3 of each.

But there are bits for other ccw, so vanguard vets and sgts are also plausible. And if you want 1 or 2 of your ASM to have a flamer or melta gun that also mitigates your need for ccw arms... nicely your melta or flamer dude can still have a nice bolt pistol and chainsword holstered on the model.

So example.

5 man assault squad...

2 meltaguns

Sgt with lightning claw

2 ASM with ccw.

There is one bolt pistol and chainsword arm set per 10 marines... aka, there are 3 of each.

But there are bits for other ccw, so vanguard vets and sgts are also plausible. And if you want 1 or 2 of your ASM to have a flamer or melta gun that also mitigates your need for ccw arms... nicely your melta or flamer dude can still have a nice bolt pistol and chainsword holstered on the model.

So example.

5 man assault squad...

2 meltaguns

Sgt with lightning claw

2 ASM with ccw.

Yeah, I was thinking more of HH 10 man squads, so I think I'll have to get some more chainswords/boltpistols then. Thanks for the info smile.png

As far as lore goes, there are no MkIII jump troops since the armor is too front heavy to be used with jump packs.

I'm most likely going to use other Mk IV and Sang. Guard bits to make them more... aerodynamic. Probably. Do you think this would work? Or is Mk III just too bulky to be on Assault Marines? Even in isolated pieces? sad.png

I could have sworn it was more of a "not preffered and thus rarely, due to..." as opposed to a " never ever because..."

But what evs...

I'm using them for black templars crusaders for 40k... and also maybe iron warriors in 40k... and some imperial fists for 40k...

I have a problem...

Eh, this is the 31st/41st millennium(s). Technology has probably advanced to a sufficient level that military grade jet-packs can at least carry space marines, heavy armour and equipment, I'd imagine. The extra plating of Mk III wouldn't add THAT much weight on, right? It'd look cool, anyway. happy.png

Black Cohort - Thanks. I guess I could make a few have holstered pistols. That would be fine in terms of WYSIWYG, right?

Eh, this is the 31st/41st millennium(s). Technology has probably advanced to a sufficient level that military grade jet-packs can at least carry space marines, heavy armour and equipment, I'd imagine. The extra plating of Mk III wouldn't add THAT much weight on, right? It'd look cool, anyway. happy.png

Black Cohort - Thanks. I guess I could make a few have holstered pistols. That would be fine in terms of WYSIWYG, right?

Technically you don't need anything that the standard squad member has modeled, since the default assumption is they have that gear. It is really easy to make a tactical squad with an extra close combat weapon with either BoC or BoP, assault marines somewhat harder. There is no reason you can't use chainsword/ bolt pistol bits from other kits, I know I have plenty of spares for other kits in my bits box.

Technically you don't need anything that the standard squad member has modeled, since the default assumption is they have that gear.  It is really easy to make a tactical squad with an extra close combat weapon with either BoC or BoP, assault marines somewhat harder.  There is no reason you can't use chainsword/ bolt pistol bits from other kits, I know I have plenty of spares for other kits in my bits box.

Yeah, I'll probs just use bolt pistols from other kits. 

14971233_10154167190013737_842487775_n.j

You can make plenty of chainsword hands. It's the bolt pistols that you may have trouble with. I had 10 tigrus bolters left over from BaC. You can cut out the middle part, between the magazine and the back of the front sight, to turn them into bolt pistols pretty easily.

There actually are mkIII assault marines. The ashen circle for Word Bearers have mkIII armor, though it might be a modified variant of mkIII. Still proof enough to me that if you wanted to make a mkIII assault unit, it can be done. 

14971233_10154167190013737_842487775_n.j

You can make plenty of chainsword hands. It's the bolt pistols that you may have trouble with. I had 10 tigrus bolters left over from BaC. You can cut out the middle part, between the magazine and the back of the front sight, to turn them into bolt pistols pretty easily.

Do you just ignore the chunk taken out of the back of the chainsword for the space marine's butt plate? Or do you know of some way to fill it in?

I'm attempting a similar thing just without jetpacks. The trouble for me is that there is a very limited amount of arms for chainswords that match the mkiii armour, which the arms for is rather unique.

Has anyone found a good alternative for mkiii arms or is the only way through forgeworld or additional BoP sets?

snip

Do you just ignore the chunk taken out of the back of the chainsword for the space marine's butt plate? Or do you know of some way to fill it in?

a dab o' greenstuff

Archived