Vogon's Custodes Blog

Vogon

This will be updated as often as I can.

This will be my second Horus Heresy army, posse to fight along side my Alpha Legion but also independently. I don't think it's going to be a particularly large force but it will be a distraction from painting all that blue.

I was one of the fortunate ones at the Open Day a couple of weeks ago to get one of these and have had a lot of fun painting it so far.

Still a way to go but I thought I would share it anyway.

med_gallery_92760_12618_681854.jpg

I should be getting some more BoP Custodes from a friend in a week or so to add to my force.

Cheers

Vogon

Well that is part of my issue.

I am really undecided about how I base these guys. Do I match my Alpha Legion or go with something different?

I know that in the background Custodes wouldn't be fighting alongside Traitor Alpha Legion post Istvan but there are Loyalists splinters and pre Istvan.

I'm pretty sure I read a story with Custodes and Sisters of Silence fighting alongside A later to be Traitor Legion but I can't remember who or what book it was.

Cheers

Vogon.

Well that is part of my issue.

I am really undecided about how I base these guys. Do I match my Alpha Legion or go with something different?

I know that in the background Custodes wouldn't be fighting alongside Traitor Alpha Legion post Istvan but there are Loyalists splinters and pre Istvan.

I'm pretty sure I read a story with Custodes and Sisters of Silence fighting alongside A later to be Traitor Legion but I can't remember who or what book it was.

Cheers

Vogon.

That would be the Death Guard, in Flight of the Einstein.

how difficult was assembly? i heard through a friend that the tank is a PITA.

loooking good though man, i cant wait to recieve my grav tank

The tank was pretty easy and the instructions were very clear though not particularly necessary for most people. There was some significant gap filling required on a couple of components.

Unfortunately I have not had time to do any more painting since posting and I'm still not sure how I will base them all.

Cheers

Vogon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bit of a slow burn but I've added a few more guys to my Custodes, mostly as part of the Loyalty and Treachery thing.

First off a unit of Sentinels

gallery_92760_12618_619907.jpg

And also a Galadius Dreadnought

gallery_92760_12618_1028449.jpg

Here also is a Solarite Gauntlet under construction. I used a BoP Terminator power first and some cabling tom fill the unsightly gap.

med_gallery_92760_12618_326810.jpg?t=50500117

I will post a full army shot soon as I'm getting on we'll, just slowly but surely

Cheers

Vogon

• 2 years later...

Ok it’s been a really long time since I updated this log but I have been steadily plugging away at my Custodes force. I’ve added a couple of 40K units in there just because I will be using them as such from time to time but it will primarily be. A Horus Heresy force.

First off my Tribune

gallery_92760_12618_441882.jpeg

Also having read Master of Mankind I got inspired to have a crack at House Vyridion, I’m in the process of building a Castigator, the Christmas break should see me at least finish building it but here’s the first of the household. I did this a sort of a test model to see how it looked.

gallery_92760_12618_198224.jpeg

I have noticed a distinct difference in shade between the Retributor Armour from a rattle can compared to the paint pot version.

And finally a group shot.

gallery_92760_12618_461601.jpeg

Still a fairly small force for the moment (certainly not as big as my Alpha Legion) but it’s getting there.

Cheers,

Vogon

Lovely! I'm starting Custodes for HH/40K in 2020 and you've convinced me its a solid choice! Good work bud!

My only feedback would be I thin you maybe need a splash of colour on your bases? Nothing too crazy, literally just like a purple or blue wash etc in the cracks, recesses or another light patchy drybrush of another colour? Again, just feedback and lovely work so far!

BCC

Battle Captain Corpus, Thanks for your kind words. I have had a few thought about the braces and may end up re-basing the entire army but I’m still not sure.

The bases were always just a quick, dirty and above all cheap solution until I figured out what i wanted to do properly. Unfortunately I have 3 armies all based in the same way that are all allied so if I do one I’ll end up having to do all of them.

Hope you enjoy your Custodes army as much as i have.

As an addendum I got a Coronas for Christmas so that will be joining them pretty soon too.

Cheers

Vogon

Infyrana, Yes taht’s not a bad shout. I’ll definitely think about that, it should be more straight forward than rebasing the lot.

In the mean time I’ve just finished assembling and spraying a Coronus ready for painting. Now that L&T is Starting up i may just hold off until the 15th.

gallery_92760_12618_104105.jpeg

Cheers

Vogon.