The Atrocity at Calth - The 38th Company

Grim Dog Studios

3e5a1b868981c362d0d10e76bd3e057e.png

++ INCOMING TRANSMISSION ++

Brothers, the dogs of Lorgar have shown their treachery today. 
Let them know that the Sons of Guilliman do not fall so easily, 
and make them pay for their betrayal of the Emperor in blood and death.
Courage and Honour!

++ END TRANSMISSION ++

d127d4c98512c4789ec12e240cf09de8.png

++ Centurion Jay Burgii and Cyber-Hound Dag  ++

Jkv5wfG.jpg

++ Hailing from Old Albia on Terra, Centurion Jay Burgii was inducted into the XIIIth Warborn following the Osiris Rebellion. Steadily rising to the
rank of Centurion, Jay was destined to only ever be a Line Captain, his Superiors believing he lacked the Necessary qualities to rise much further.
A Stoic and uncompromising demeanor has lead many to believe he was destined for the XIVth Legion, but the casualties
sustained at the hands of the Psybrids lead to his recruitment into the XIIIth instead. Seen here accompanied by his Cyber-Hound Dag. ++

++ Apothecary Servius Agorix ++

zYXprxx.jpg

++ Long time friend of Jay's, Servius has served with the 3rd Centuria since his induction in to the Brotherhood of the XIIIth's

Apothecaries. Witnessing the loss of so many loyal warriors of the Emperor at Calth has lead Servius to become a 

shell of his old self, grim and brooding where once full of brotherly camaraderie and humour.++

++ Veteran Squad Kaeso ++

gngSr2c.jpg

++ Whilst the majority of the 38th Company were stationed at Erud alongside the rest of the 3rd Chapter during the muster at Calth, 

Veteran Squad Kaeso were accompanying Captain Jay as an Honour Guard within Numinus City itself when the atrocity began.

Battling in the heavy fog that fell upon the city and facing hordes of traitor scum and never-before seen horrors, it would be hours before

they were reunited with what little was left of the 38th. ++

++ Tactical Squad Tertius and attached Rhino++

FEStmTV.jpg

XwLjWJC.jpg

++ WIP Veteran Tactical Squad Gnaeus ++

2MvrxjI.jpg

++ WIP Legion Sicaran ++

dN4ZSAG.jpg

This is actually further along than in this pic, only needs transfers applying now and its finshed!

++ WIP Command Squad Nobilis ++

NCL2FzR.jpg

Some of you may recognize my thread from the WIP part of the forums but I thought I would post them over here in the Ultras subforums as well. The plan is to get a playable fully painted 2000 point force done as soon as possible as I would really like to start playing 30K/40K, something I have never done in 14/15 years of me actually collecting warhammer.

Once the 2000 point force is done, I'm slowly going to try and paint the entire 3rd Centuria (the pic at the top) with supporting elements. To some it might not be that great of a task, but I'm not the fastest painter in the world unfortunately and I have a tendency to get side tracked by other shiny things! I'm currently working on the 2000 point list, but will post it up when I feel like I am happy with it.

For now, heres just a few WIP pics of what else I am currently working on for the army!

Also built and basecoated I have 5 Suzerain, a Land Raider, 5 cataphractii with another 5 in bits, another tactical squad and the B@C contemptor. I thank you all in taking the time to read/view my log and I'll try and do my best to churn out some painting in the meantime!

James

Edited by Wulox

It's probably mentioned many time in response to your posts in the first painting challenge but I like the darker blue you've got going on here, it makes the black parts almost un-noticeable and to me makes the models look very uniform. The white on the apothecary looks very clean asides from the grime and from the photo has a ceramic or porcelain quality making it look impressive. There's a nice variety with the mk IV parts used and I think they could be red scorpions bits that make them look unique and the dog too, don't see many of them. Wolves yes but never dogs, not even a cyber mastiff.

Edited by obsidian quacker

Many thanks for the comments mate! I'm glad you like the blue, when I first set out painting them it sort of happened by accident as they weren't that dark in the tutorial/guide I was using, but I thought what the hell and stuck with it! You are correct with the red scorpions bits, I won an ebay auction that had a bunch of the red scorpion aquila chests in and thought they would make good stand ins for artificer armor. This was before the invictarii upgrades were released by FW which I would have preferred to use were they available to get when I first started building my force (yes it has taken me that long to start painting it):tongue.: .

The dog reminded me of the beginning of Gladiator when Maximus had his dog, so I knew I wanted to incorporate him into my force somehow. It's just a shame that only Forgelords can take cyber-familiars in-game!

++ Legion Sicaran Battle Tank Lancea ++

e1sCpBY.jpg

bwIn9Si.jpg

++ Often deployed alongside Sicaran Battle Tank Verutum, it is one of many Sicaran Tanks attached to the 38th Company. Sicarans

Lancea and Verutum would register seven traitor Knight-Titan kills between them during the first few hours of the betrayal,

Astartes skill and determination out-winning and outmaneuvering the human Knight-pilots. ++

So, it's been a week since I started the thread and I've finally finished the Sicaran. I plan to buy a second as I think they always look nice in pairs hence the little bit of fluff. I've also pledged 9 tactical marines in the Ultras Reinforcement Rush so expect them to be posted up in the coming weeks!

James

• 4 weeks later...

Oh nice! Got a new phone AND your pics actually work on it! I surely prefer GW's paint scheme over FW's for the ultras... But your stuff sure looks on point! Is that a 3rd party blue base-color? And those transfers, from the FW ultra sheet? More, please!

The paint scheme I am using is from this: http://battlebunnies.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/kaelo-pre-heresy-ultramarine-paints.html

However mine seemed to have turned out much darker than I originally anticipated, so I think I must have added too much nuln oil to the mix. Instead of going back and fixing it I just decided to rill with it instead. And yeah, the decals are from the FW sheet. They aren't too bad to use, but will probably be easier to apply if i get some microsol/microset!

Looks awesome. Where did you get that dog model? And fluff wise, did some astartes have them?

Great work

Cheers mate! The dog is from the Forge world event only Arbites Enforcer. Not sure if astartes actually had them in the fluff, but I don't see why a Legion like the Ultras couldn't have them! :tongue.:

Love it. Great job!

Thank you, glad you like them!

Haven't really done a great deal of work over the holidays on my force but I'll get back into the swing of things shortly. I'm currently eyeing up the Leviathans on the FW store! :tongue.:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Many thanks brothers! Would love to see some pics of your 42nd Company Marcus, get em posted up!

Thought I'd get some pics up of the Terminators I painted up for the Reinforcement Rush.

++ Terminator Squad Virtus ++

http://i.imgur.com/ogY1lQR.jpg

Hope you like them! No more updates for a weeks as I've broken my thumb and can't paint at the moment! :dry.:

James

Sorry for the double post but I thought I would post up a family photo of everything that's painted so far!

http://i.imgur.com/LR0B9KN.jpg

As you can see, it's pretty pathetic so far but I have plans for a lot more. I currently have a Land Raider, 7 Suzerain, another veteran squad, a converted chaplain, a volkite support squad and a B@C contemptor sitting in a basecoat of blue. I also still need to buy a second sicaran and 2 more rhinos to have a playable force that I'm happy with. I also want to buy Guilliman at some point too but that's a ways off.

Cheers, James

• 3 months later...

Just to prove I am still working on my army slowly, I've got some WIP pics of my second veteran squad to post up. Apologies in advance for the shocking photo quality, I did them rather quick and they looked okay on the small screen of my phone! Will get much better pics up once I have finished them.

9c3yuar.jpg

5OdVnIE.jpg

Swapped the original Sergeant out and replaced one of the marines with a newer one.

With the release of 8th, I am now having to edit my army to fit the 8th edition marines army list, as I have no heresy players to play against only 40k opponents that have no interest in starting 30k armies just to play with me. It's still a 30K army fluffwise, just using the 40K rules. Luckily I don't have too much to change, as my army was pretty basic compared to most 30k lists and I can still use my sicaran easily with the FW rules. 

I'm also not happy with how basic the B@C tactical marines look compared to my veterans, so I am thinking about retiring them and using my veteran tacticals as regular 40k tacticals. I'd be interested in anybody's thoughts on this?

Thank you for looking and I hope to get finished pics of this squad up over the week!

Edited by Centurion Jay

Glad to see you back at it! Your guys look awesome to me.. but everything looks better in blue!

I think your Tac marines look fine right now. Remember whilst your veterans have probably seen 100's of compliances and are old hands at this, your Tac marines are fresh out of the gene labs and hence probably haven't seen action, so they would be relying on their training. Consider also the theme of Calth, a completely unexpected betrayal would drive other less disciplined Marines crazy, however not the Ultramarines! Their rock solid discipline and approach is what makes them unyielding in the face of the traitorous Word Bearers.

Shame there's no 30k group near you, have you tried the 30k forums for local info?

Thank you for the comments, they are appreciated!

I think once I have swapped out two of the marines for a heavy weapon marine and a special weapon marine for each squad it might add a little more character to them.

Still slowly plodding away painting this veteran squad, nearing completion though. I'm busy these next few days though so wont be able to get an update until the end of the weekend I think!

There isn't much of a 40k scene let alone a 30k scene at all in my town, my only opponents are some friends I have where we play at one of their houses!

• 3 weeks later...

I love the effect on the swords - they look almost like crystal!  Would you happen to be willing to do a tutorial on them?

They don't look that good in real life, but thats down to my poor painting haha.

I followed this tutorial for the power swords, http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/287119-painting-a-simple-power-sword/

However I substituted the green for Incubi Darkness Purple, and then just added a little bit of white to the mix the further up the blade I went.

I hope this helps!

Many thanks!

I've got more work done on that vet squad but it still isn't finished, and I've modelled up some replacements for some of the plain tactical marines. I've decided to use 5 of the original marines from each squad, and then add 5 more "interesting" marines to the squad. I've only done this for the two squads I have at the moment, leaving me with 10 of the plain marines still which shall also receive another 10 more interesting marines effectively doubling the amount of tacticals I will have in total, but also making them look less boring as a squad overall if that makes. I hope all that made sense haha :biggrin.:

Other than that I've not made a great deal of progress on the army as a whole. I am trying to finalise an 8th edition army list for them before I buy anything new!

• 2 months later...

Arise dead thread!

So, I've been slowly doing stuff to my Ultramarines but haven't really been taking many pictures of it. Since I last posted I haven't finished those Sternguard, however I have since built and painted 5 new Tactical marines for my current two tactical squads to make them less boring. Currently no pictures of those but I will get some up eventually. I've also nearly finished my Land Raider, the main body of it is finished with just the side sponsons to paint. I've also built and basecoated a Jump Pack Lieutenant who is in my painting queue.

I have however, re-made and painted my main HQ choice, Centurion Jay Burgii. As I am now using 8th Edition rules to play my force, he is now a Captain with Relic Blade and Santic Halo.

Here is the man himself:

056c73f8dd6560548ca75ea52937c107.png

He looks incredibly similar to the original but is made from all new parts. I wasn't happy with the previous one for many reasons, the conversion job was very rough and used some parts I didn't like and the paint job wasn't that great and too dark shade of blue. Overall I'm very pleased with this version of him and shall not be changing him again in the foreseeable future.

I've also started work on a third tactical squad with the hope of making it appear less boring than just the plain MK IV calth tacticals that my other two squads were originally composed of. This is where they stand so far:

57c7defe4330ea0f493ac1898df0c1b0.png

They are far from finished and I need to go back and fix the sergeant who has received a new combi-plasma from the armoury and a half-repainted helmet to have a sergeant stripe running down the centre which needs some clean up work.

I'm hoping to get some pictures of everything that I have done in the meantime that I don't currently have pictures of posted up in the next week or so. My friends and I are also planning a trip to Warhammer World this weekend or next where I am intending on getting a Leviathan Dreadnought!

Many thanks for looking!

Jay

Thank you!

I'm not too sure at the moment, my veteran squads all currently have a black kneepad and a black stripe running down their helmet. I originally tried going for white shoulderpads on them, but I couldn't get the white to look as smooth as I would have liked so opted for the black instead.