Black Library Advent Calendar 2016

DarkChaplain

Spoiler for The Last Son of Prospero

. . . Ianius being neither quite Arvida nor the Magnus shard.  

Could Jaghatai and Malcador have unwittingly recreated in part the method with which the Emperor was actually created? Is the whole "encarnation of a ton of shamens" thing still canon?

Anatonix:

Last Son seems to say that he merely has a hint of a scar/swelling around his other eye - that he still has both eyes. I'm not really in the market for gossip about Janus but take that either way

Quite the opposite - it even bolsters the theory of Ianius = Janus as at least a part of him wants to redeem himself.

Pardon me - but redeem for what? Does he did something wrong? He was one of the most loyal sons ever. Amd shard of Magnus part - 1 piece of a whole would not oppose all

That's it pretty much confirmed then right? The description of Ianius, pretty much matches the description of Janus from The Beheading perfectly. Would also explain the huge psychic presence Weinand sensed from Janus, dude is part Magnus!

Yeap, agree with you.

Could Jaghatai and Malcador have unwittingly recreated in part the method with which the Emperor was actually created? Is the whole "encarnation of a ton of shamens" thing still canon?

Anatonix:

Last Son seems to say that he merely has a hint of a scar/swelling around his other eye - that he still has both eyes. I'm not really in the market for gossip about Janus but take that either way

Probably all 3

We've seen Arvida trying to atone for the perceived sins of his Legion many times.

And Magnus? You don't think that he disapproves of Horus and his methods? Really...? It's been made quite clear in every piece of fiction he's ever appeared in. The only time he ever seems to be 100% behind the Warmaster is when he declares for him (at Fasdahn-Oryx) before the attack on Terra, as described in 'Visions of Heresy', and we're not yet at that point in the story with the novels.

Until we see more about his motivations and that shard that was trapped on Terra, I guess we won't know for sure. Now, I wonder what upcoming book might contain something about that...

We've seen Arvida trying to atone for the perceived sins of his Legion many times.

And Magnus? You don't think that he disapproves of Horus and his methods? Really...? It's been made quite clear in every piece of fiction he's ever appeared in. The only time he ever seems to be 100% behind the Warmaster is when he declares for him (at Fasdahn-Oryx) before the attack on Terra, as described in 'Visions of Heresy', and we're not yet at that point in the story with the novels.

Until we see more about his motivations and that shard that was trapped on Terra, I guess we won't know for sure. Now, I wonder what upcoming book might contain something about that...

You mean the ominous one called 'The Crimson King'? biggrin.png

Quite the opposite - it even bolsters the theory of Ianius = Janus as at least a part of him wants to redeem himself.

Pardon me - but redeem for what? Does he did something wrong? He was one of the most loyal sons ever. Amd shard of Magnus part - 1 piece of a whole would not oppose all

That's it pretty much confirmed then right? The description of Ianius, pretty much matches the description of Janus from The Beheading perfectly. Would also explain the huge psychic presence Weinand sensed from Janus, dude is part Magnus!

Yeap, agree with you.

Anatonix:

Probably all 3

I don't doubt his loyalty. All in saying is that I'm convinced that a part of him feels guilty for dooming his Legion, destroying his fathers work and being unable to escape the great schemes which trapped himself and his Legion AND for being too proud to avoid a of this.

IMHO :)

Yeap, agree with you.

Anatonix:

Probably all 3

I don't doubt his loyalty. All in saying is that I'm convinced that a part of him feels guilty for dooming his Legion, destroying his fathers work and being unable to escape the great schemes which trapped himself and his Legion AND for being too proud to avoid a of this.

IMHO smile.png

And that's the biggest tragedy of Magnus, lol

Alright, I read the Aegidan Oath and have to say that I quite liked it. It was nice to see Oberdeii again and have all those implications up in the air, and see that contrast between Heresy-era and post-Fulgrim Astartes' views on Roboute's legacy. There's a noticeable disconnect already which is only going to grow larger until M41.

I liked the concept of reality catching up to old almost mythological pieces that still remain of the Heresy.

Also listened to The Art of Provocation and yup, Josh nailed that too. It incorporates the known stuff about Lukas nicely while showcasing one of his deeds in a humorous way. Honestly, if I wasn't so excited for him writing more Fabius instead, I'd like to read a Lukas novel, maybe for Space Marine Legends, from him.

There's Deadpool and then there's Deadpool. Different writers put a different spin on characters, which is true for both Black Library and Marvel/DC alike. Not all the Deadpool stuff appeals to me either, but in general he's exactly the kind of character the Marvel franchise needs. It can take itself way too seriously at times and having the Merc with a Mouth parody it all is refreshing.

And because I just rewatched Episodes I and II with the girlfriend this weekend, and Wade made a solid argument here...

http://i.imgur.com/B0sxRWr.jpg

The big draw for me when it comes to Deadpool is that he unapologetically self-aware. He doesn't give a damn about anything. The Avengers or X-Men hating him comes as a badge of honor. He is ridiculous and enjoys every minute of it. And that is utterly refreshing to see in my opinion.

You see that's not funny to me. That's beating a dead horse.

Just using internet trendy troups to make a joke and people think it's awesome just because it's in a comic book.

Also you go to a convention, half the cosplay is dudes dressed as deadpool doing annoying :cuss and thing they can do it just because they are dressed as deadpool. But that's another story. But well in the end it's a matter of taste. Not for me at all.

Just like wet leopard growls and backflipping terminators. It's things I gladly ignore.

Just want the world needs...

Yeah I hate deadpool.

It's just a dry uninspired kind of humour.

In my opinion ofc.

To which you are totally entltled.

I hope your opinion is at least *informed*, by having bought and listened to the audio drama in question for yourself, rather than taking my rather glib, humorous analogy as incontrovertible fact? Because otherwise, that would be really dumb - potentially even a third-hand opinion, rather than your own.

I never, ever pass judgement on something I haven't seen/read/witnessed/participated in for myself. I'd advise people who want to comment online to do the same.

(And no, wikis and spoiler threads don't count.)

Just want the world needs...

Yeah I hate deadpool.

It's just a dry uninspired kind of humour.

In my opinion ofc.

To which you are totally entltled.

I hope your opinion is at least *informed*, by having bought and listened to the audio drama in question for yourself, rather than taking my rather glib, humorous analogy as incontrovertible fact? Because otherwise, that would be really dumb - potentially even a third-hand opinion, rather than your own.

I never, ever pass judgement on something I haven't seen/read/witnessed/participated in for myself. I'd advise people who want to comment online to do the same.

(And no, wikis and spoiler threads don't count.)

I was referring specifically to deadpool, not the trickster or the related novel ;)

Then I agree with you somewhat - I find the phenomenon of Deadpool entirely tedious, but the film was possibly my favourite "peanut in the turd" of the glut of po-faced superhero movie trash from the last ten years. Making fun of Marvel and DC appeals to me.

Agreed.

Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy are imho the best of that genre, though GotG is more a sci-fi movie than a comic adaption. No superpowers, just "normal" guys / xenos and artifacts. ;)

Kind of lost of theme of the discussion... What are we currently talking about? ^^"

I think Guy Haley must have gotten sick of everyone telling him he didn't understand the IP. I know I would have done.

Let's talk about deadpool and how about a movie about penis jokes is a success.

I think this is actually far more interesting than endless films about mutants who fight crime.

Archived