Black Library Advent Calendar 2016

DarkChaplain

I'm not sure the tuetelaries are all shards (cos them exploding some of their owners would get sketchier in that context). I guess this ties into French's implied stuff about tutelaries, wonder what it means for Ahriman if Aetpiao ever catches up to him. To me it seems more that the shard consumes the tutelary as it merges into Arvida

It's so hard to say, and it could vary immensely case by case. Maybe this is the only shard that masqueraded as a tutelary? In the Ahriman series there's a shard that rides along in Ahriman's sub-conscious for a while, and Aetpio did vanish... so maybe a similar case.

That some exploded their owners doesn't necessarily rule out them being a Shard of Magnus, either. Some shards seem to have taken on a different aspect, portion and/or perception of Magnus, so one or more could embody his spite or rage.

Tzeentch stuff is awesome, but also definitely bizarre and convoluted.

it would explain him being the "subtlest of all" if tutelaries were indeed parts of his essence projected. We know (kind of) that the emperor is capable of doing this so it wouldnt be a stretch for magnus to also have done it. He simply didnt come to his guys as himself for multiple reasons.

Then again, it could be that the shard fixed arvida by inputting the tutelary into him.

Tutelaries killing their owners could be that its because magnus shards are quite obviously super powerful, could be that the tutelaries/shards attempted to stop the change occuring but failed? Like.. that they needed to be under more controlled conditions like we see here?

Or as said above could be the different aspects of magnus means not all get such fortunate treatment

So many talking points on this one. Kind of makes one want to go back and read a thousand sons to see if theres any moment of dawning

it would explain him being the "subtlest of all" if tutelaries were indeed parts of his essence projected. We know (kind of) that the emperor is capable of doing this so it wouldnt be a stretch for magnus to also have done it. He simply didnt come to his guys as himself for multiple reasons.

Then again, it could be that the shard fixed arvida by inputting the tutelary into him.

Tutelaries killing their owners could be that its because magnus shards are quite obviously super powerful, could be that the tutelaries/shards attempted to stop the change occuring but failed? Like.. that they needed to be under more controlled conditions like we see here?

Or as said above could be the different aspects of magnus means not all get such fortunate treatment

So many talking points on this one. Kind of makes one want to go back and read a thousand sons to see if theres any moment of dawning

even if mcneill didn't build it in at that point, it's still a great little potential revelation that almost none of us saw

Wait a second...

did I get it right that

Ianius is the name of both, Arvidas tutelary AND the shard of Magnus, implying that they are one and the same? The whole time?

By the Emperors balls!

That is more than mind-blowing! Does that imply that every tutelary was indeed a shard of the broken future Magnus? And I always believed them to be lesser demons?!

If I think this further....that would mean that Gyre of Talon of Horus is as well a shard of Magnus?....holy crap!

So now Arvidas body changed and is now host to a being consisting of both, Arvida and the shard of Magnus?

Let us think even further. Ianius = Janus would explain a lot of the little hints and clues about the first Grey Knight being more than a normal Astartes, right?

I'm completely mind-blown...seriously, what a short story! Its the first advent release I bought and damn it was worth it!

This little masterpiece deserve its own thread to discuss its outcomes.

I love how the Khan shows up again. He's on his way to become my most favorite Primarch (which is kind of odd as Leman was always my number one ^^).

If someone from the BL crew could take this message to him: Kudos, Chris! More than well done! thumbsup.gif

Haven't read the short yet, but would this mean that future Magnus tricked his legion and his past self?

That would be soo Tzeentchy (and awesome) :D

I really don't have enough money for the advent shorts at all Can anyone tell me what happens in the Heresy shorts? Valerius, Painted Count, Last Son?

Valerius

Valerius has a crisis of faith while on Beta Garmon. He confides in Pelon that he doesn't get any more visions from the Emperor, and Pelon tells him that visions aren't the only gifts the Emperor has given him. Remoralized because of this, he successfully lures a Warlord, several Reavers, a batallion of tanks and three companies of SoH into a trap before detonating the reactor of his Capitol Impearalis. The epilogue has a tank discovering him in the crater with him declaring it's a miracle. Overall you could have guessed what hapenss from the blurb and his survival just comes off as cheap

Perpetual?

I really don't have enough money for the advent shorts at all Can anyone tell me what happens in the Heresy shorts? Valerius, Painted Count, Last Son?

Valerius

Valerius has a crisis of faith while on Beta Garmon. He confides in Pelon that he doesn't get any more visions from the Emperor, and Pelon tells him that visions aren't the only gifts the Emperor has given him. Remoralized because of this, he successfully lures a Warlord, several Reavers, a batallion of tanks and three companies of SoH into a trap before detonating the reactor of his Capitol Impearalis. The epilogue has a tank discovering him in the crater with him declaring it's a miracle. Overall you could have guessed what hapenss from the blurb and his survival just comes off as cheap

Perpetual?

Do you mean the audio or whether the guy I'm talking about is?

Spoiler for The Last Son of Prospero

Janus is a Roman god with two faces. Loved Wraight's literal description of Ianius being neither quite Arvida nor the Magnus shard. Mind blown. Need to re-read it over again.

Question: does the Sigilite begin work on Titan as seen in that Garro short before or after this revelation? What does it mean for the creation of future GK's re: gene seed? So many questions.

I don't think Ianius is Janus. He already apperared in Beast Arise Series. He has Two eyes, but Ianius only has one eye. He has many veteran stud on his head, but i don't think revuel arvida has that many stud. Janus is old Friend of Kyril Sindermaan, but Ianius doesn't have any point of contact with him.

I don't think Ianius is Janus. He already apperared in Beast Arise Series. He has Two eyes, but Ianius only has one eye. He has many veteran stud on his head, but i don't think revuel arvida has that many stud. Janus is old Friend of Kyril Sindermaan, but Ianius doesn't have any point of contact with him.

To be fair, all of that is pretty superficial and could change in the thousand years between the Heresy and The Beast Arises. I mean it's not like Sindermaan even knows what the Gray Knights or Inquisition are at this point. But obviously he learns.

Also didn't Mortarion say he knew Janus well? I can't see him knowing Ianus well, especially if he's a new person made from Arvida and the shard.

And why couldn't Mortarion know of him after the Gray Knights form? I wouldn't consider it a huge jump in knowing someone of you've known them for 10,000 years vs knowing them for 9,500 years.

Black Library audio app

Thank you. I had no idea this existed. My BL life is complete.

not only exists but for larger books there is a discount. audiobooks $50 are $40 there. Eisenhorn books $40 are $32 there. AoS RGW books were $50 and now are $27 on the app. This was much more fair for the length of audio and I finished my collection on the app. Just couldn't justify $50 for 6.5 hrs of book.

Valerius

Perpetual?

Valerius being a Perpetual or he could be one of the first Saints?

Wait a second...

did I get it right that

Ianius is the name of both, Arvidas tutelary AND the shard of Magnus, implying that they are one and the same? The whole time?

By the Emperors balls!

That is more than mind-blowing! Does that imply that every tutelary was indeed a shard of the broken future Magnus? And I always believed them to be lesser demons?!

If I think this further....that would mean that Gyre of Talon of Horus is as well a shard of Magnus?....holy crap!

So now Arvidas body changed and is now host to a being consisting of both, Arvida and the shard of Magnus?

Let us think even further. Ianius = Janus would explain a lot of the little hints and clues about the first Grey Knight being more than a normal Astartes, right?

I'm completely mind-blown...seriously, what a short story! Its the first advent release I bought and damn it was worth it!

This little masterpiece deserve its own thread to discuss its outcomes.

I love how the Khan shows up again. He's on his way to become my most favorite Primarch (which is kind of odd as Leman was always my number one ^^).

If someone from the BL crew could take this message to him: Kudos, Chris! More than well done! thumbsup.gif

The sad part is that Ianius is not Arvida. Our good pal Revuel Arvida as an individual entity is dead. And gone. What we have now is a mix of Magnus shard and Arvida tutelary/daemon entity. What we have here is a rebirth. In general Chris now has his own 'why do you kill Bragg' question. If Targutai wasn't enough, now it is well deserved :)

'Let us think even further. Ianius = Janus would explain a lot of the little hints and clues about the first Grey Knight being more than a normal Astartes, right?'

- Right. Now we have the first true candidate for Janus.

Yet again, Wraight knocks it out of the park. Amazing

Yes he did. Tis the best story of all the Advent.

Valerius

Perpetual?

Valerius being a Perpetual or he could be one of the first Saints?

Valerius is the first Saint of Astra Militarum and Lectio Divinatus. Keeler is beyond range of any measurement, she is much more than a 'simple' Saint

Sorry, are people referring to this?

MORTARION (low, conspiratorial): But of course, I doubt even the archives of Titan would contain the original identities of the Sigillite’s... errant angels. Names. Power. It works both ways. Guarded. Hidden. [pause] The truth of Janus’s past would shake your pitiful Chapter to its very foundations. Of that, you can be certain. Treachery, cowardice... heresy, and a brother who would willingly betray his own for the sake of some half-imagined redemption.

There is not a single word of that dialogue that contradicts anything in 'The Last Son of Prospero'...

Sorry, are people referring to this?

MORTARION (low, conspiratorial): But of course, I doubt even the archives of Titan would contain the original identities of the Sigillite’s... errant angels. Names. Power. It works both ways. Guarded. Hidden. [pause] The truth of Janus’s past would shake your pitiful Chapter to its very foundations. Of that, you can be certain. Treachery, cowardice... heresy, and a brother who would willingly betray his own for the sake of some half-imagined redemption.

There is not a single word of that dialogue that contradicts anything in 'The Last Son of Prospero'...

Niceeee - it's a good point to remind us ;)

Archived