IM - Vasalius 1st Terra Heredes Imperial Auxilia

TheBlindPrimarch

Well I can come up with ideas all day if you want some :) The first thing to decide would be which of the Base army lists the 1st Here design should be built from. The two main options for 'human' forces are the Solar Auxilia and Imperial Militia lists. Technically the Solar system are the just below a starter option, but the Militia army gives a little more flexibility in customising the army and can be used to make more elite forces as well as hordes.

If you're going for Super-Elite humans, then the Solar Aux are probably the base you want to build up from.

Imperial Army/Militia does give you more flexibility but with your theme, you'd probably be stuck forcing the "Survivors of the Dark Age" Provenance at a minimum  which isnt bad on its own since it gives you 3+ Saves, Rhinos and Land Raider Proteus' to use.

For your Ogryn-like units, I'd Probably go for a Unit of Walkers since since you wanted the Front and Rear armor of the unit to be different and whatnot.

The rest we can hash out well enough but for a Lord Commander of your army, what were you thinking in terms of fluff, Background and gear?

Generally, you'll be using the "3's" Statline for the most part.

Edited by Slipstreams

If you're going for Super-Elite humans, then the Solar Aux are probably the base you want to build up from.

Imperial Army/Militia does give you more flexibility but with your theme, you'd probably be stuck forcing the "Survivors of the Dark Age" Provenance at a minimum  which isnt bad on its own since it gives you 3+ Saves, Rhinos and Land Raider Proteus' to use.

For your Ogryn-like units, I'd Probably go for a Unit of Walkers since since you wanted the Front and Rear armor of the unit to be different and whatnot.

The rest we can hash out well enough but for a Lord Commander of your army, what were you thinking in terms of fluff, Background and gear?

Generally, you'll be using the "3's" Statline for the most part.

I was planning on using the Solar Aux as the base for stats and models because yeah, I was seeing them as a super elite force. (at least in their opinion lol)

I was actually envisioning the Atlas armor more like the centurions from 40k, so i guess it would be toughness, not armor; but I didn't want to just lift the stats from them. This armor would later prove invaluable in the fight against traitor legions as a soldier in Atlas armor could compete with a space marine in close combat with a much more likely chance for success. (in theory.)

The Lord Commander's fluff and background are in the first post but here are a couple ideas for gear:

The Sword of Vasalius-

A paragon blade or something similarly suited to a person of this rank. Lord Commander Purechild was taught that any self respecting man of Vasalius leads from the front, so he is extensively trained in combat and defending himself. his stats should reflect this.

The Golden Armor (Golden Raiment, Scion's Armor, Armor of the Purechild)-

I envisioned this as a suit of dark age tech passed down from the age of Gregor Purechild that boosted Xander's abilities and made him harder to kill. Something not too OP, but this guy is the golden child of Vasalius and honestly I kinda envisioned him as this universe's version of Warmaster Solar Macharius, abet lessened slightly.

I figured he'd carry an archaeotech pistol or something else suitable.

Crest of the Grandmarshall-

This is the badge of Xander's office, and has a small shield generator inside of it that he can activate when in danger. I was thinking of a last ditch save that he has to roll to get off.

Cloak of Gregor Purechild-

The cloak worn by Gregor Purechild, the mere sight of this venerable clothe can inspire any man of Vasalius to great acts of heroism. I saw this item as an army buff, something like fearless or re-rolled morale tests.

Well I can come up with ideas all day if you want some :smile.:

That's be a great help Grifft as there is a lot about the rules I don't understand at all. (Probably why I lose as often as I do lol)

I would like to have a couple rules that show the 1st Heredes ideology, like no ab-humans, and maybe something like hatred space marines. I don't have a copy of the 30k rules so there might be a lot of options I don't even know about.

Alright so heres some basic ideas ive got from from reading Purechilds gear descriptions:

-Blade: Master-Crafted Paragon Blade. Pretty simple but Solar Aux Lord Commanders have the option so why not. Maybe give it deflagrate at most (imo)

-Armour: 2+ Save, +1 Weapon Skill and Initiative FNP 5+, integrated Twin-Linked Archeotec Pistol.

-Crest: 4+ Invulnerable, D3 Orbital Bombardments once per game, Cognis-Signum and Nuncio-Vox.

-Cloak: Fearless and Furious Charge for him and his unit, 12" Stubborn Bubble.

Statline would be akin to: WS5 (boosted), BS4, S3, T3, I5 (boosted), W3, A4, Ld10, 2+/4++/5+++

Thats what Id go for as a Starting point at least.

Damn, my personal preference was to use the Militia list, because I think it's awesome :P But moving on...

I think that Slips' suggestions are a good starting point. A few suggestions of my own based off of them:

• No deflagrate on the paragon blade, I think it would be a bit too much. My suggestion would be something more like Blind (enemies hit must take an I test, become WS/BS 1 if failed) or Duellist's Edge (+1I in challenges). Though if given the later I would remove the base +1I from the Armour and replace it with digital weapons for +1A.
  • Personally I'd remove the Nuncio-vox, Cognis and bombardment from the Crest (they don't feel core to his battlefield role) and instead let it increase to a 3++ when he is on his last wound.

And now for some other contributions:

• Atlas Suit: I was envisioning something like unto a centurion when you first mentioned them. So I'd probably make it an upgrade for Household Retinue Squads (the elite Auxilia, they have +1WS and Preferred Enemy-Infantry) that would give something like: +1S (maybe toughness too), 3+Armour(4+ in combat), Shock Chargers, Hammer of Wrath and Bulky. Then you would just have to make a list of weapon options for them. I think staying clear of the properly heavy weapons would be a good idea especially if you intent to go with paired weapons like the Centurions (IMO centurions look a little silly wielding them I think that anything smaller would look worse), but that still leaves a wide range of options available. The reasoning behind the armour is that in melee they would be more vulnerable to people striking their weaker rear armour rather than against shooting where you can more easily angle against the heaviest incoming fire.
  • Screamers: I'm not so certain about these guys, there is a reason that guard and other 'human' armies tend not to have jump packs... Perhaps simply giving them Deep Strike to show their paratrooper status? And then a selection of combat equipment and something to show off their 'screamer' attachments (I'm thinking a Pinning check for all enemy units within 6?" when they deep strike)..
  • Purebloods: I think that this unit would make for a better addition to Gregor's rules than a separate unit (unless they are more than just his bodyguards?). But whichever way it works out I think making them Household Retinue and making them either Stubborn or giving them Implacable Advance (count as scoring unit) would be a reasonable fit, possibly improve their Preferred Enemy to be against everything too.

For the Atlas Suit, we could go a bit further in showing that, while powerful, they are still big, cumbersome suits that don't interface directly with the wearer for maximum efficacy.

So:

• 3+ Armour, 4+ in CC. Potentially give them a 5++ vs Shooting?
  • -1 Initiative in CC (might not be necessary since they're I3 already)
  • For CC Weapons, Servo-Arms/Power Fists, Shock Chargers or Power Blades would be fine.
  • +1S So they hit like marines in CC albeit slower.
  • For Ranged Weapons I'd also probably steer away from making them weapons platforms like Centurions(40k) and instead give them Infantry Weapons:
    • Flamers, Melta, Volkite, Plasma. Thinking of making these weapons twin-linked but I envision it as a single Over-the-shoulder weapon slaved to the wearers head movements so he can shoot at what he's looking at.
  • +1T Seems fair enough.
  • Possibly limit them to 5 man units at most?

For ideas on Screamers, I'd possibly look into whatever FW Produced for Elysian Guardsmen. IIRC, the D-99 are a special Elysian army. Remember, Grav-Chutes are a thing.

As for Grifft's thoughts on the LC, removing Deflagrate would be a good idea. Having Ap2 At-Initiative weapon that can potentially kill twice as many models as they have attacks gets intense/insane at points. But then, Blood Angels have Blades of Perdition. :p

Otherwise, I'm pretty onboard with his suggestions.

Nuncio-vox, Cognis, shock chargers. I'm not familiar with these terms, could you explain them.

The idea of the ranged weapons on the Atlas armor what that they were built into the arms, short of like some dreadnoughts (or contemptors, I'm not sure) have built into their "hands." Though I agree, I didn't see them being used as a weapons platform so heavy weapons wouldn't work.

I'll have to look at the FW units for the screamer, but from what I understand of the units i think your talking about I'm pretty sure that's what I want. Not going to lie, the FW units were my inspiration for the Screamer.

The Purebloods aren't just body guards, though they do serve that purpose. They are the elite of an army that already considers themselves elite. They're essentially the Kerskins or storm-troopers  from the Imperial Guard. (before GW got rid of them) I even thought about there being a unique character that would allow the Purebloods to be used as a troop choice. (Abet a costly one.)

I like the idea of the Paragon Blade with the Blind effect, seems like it'll give him a fighting chance in CC, though a leadership check isn't the hardest thing for a space marine to pass.

This is all really helpful, thanks guys.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but I was under the impression that the Heredes would just be getting the fluff treatment. I wasn't aware that the Heredes were so vastly divergent from the Solar Auxilia or Imperial Militia that they would require so many additional rules and units.

Now I know we all want to make our forces special (believe me, I wrote a long enough post about it in the Iron Bears thread), and we like to make rules for Our Dudes, but if several Imperial Army regiments get their own revamped rules and units and some Knight households get a specialized chassis or whatever, it kind of leaves the other regiments or subfactions behind. Especially when the rules already in place allow for a lot of possibilities.

I would suggest if you want to make unique mortal auxiliary units or characters or whatnot, spread them out among different regiments, that way it doesn't tip the balance in favor of a few particular ones. And that way newcomers can still have an incentive to come up with their own forces.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but I was under the impression that the Heredes would just be getting the fluff treatment. I wasn't aware that the Heredes were so vastly divergent from the Solar Auxilia or Imperial Militia that they would require so many additional rules and units.

Now I know we all want to make our forces special (believe me, I wrote a long enough post about it in the Iron Bears thread), and we like to make rules for Our Dudes, but if several Imperial Army regiments get their own revamped rules and units and some Knight households get a specialized chassis or whatever, it kind of leaves the other regiments or subfactions behind. Especially when the rules already in place allow for a lot of possibilities.

I would suggest if you want to make unique mortal auxiliary units or characters or whatnot, spread them out among different regiments, that way it doesn't tip the balance in favor of a few particular ones. And that way newcomers can still have an incentive to come up with their own forces.

I understand your point Drak, but when I took on this project I was under the impression that i was creating this regiment as an entry for the books, not just as a fluff piece. (Though if I'm wrong it this regard now would be a good time to let me know.) I admit, I'm surprised you're having an issue here. GW at what point had what, eleven unique regiments including the FW ones and Solar Auxilla. My count of the BotL unique regiments stands at one, maybe two, not including the canon regiments; and of those unique regiments I think the 1st Heredes is the first to actually have unique unit stats and rules put together. (again, correct me if I'm wrong in this regard.)

That being said, even with eleven plus unique regiments, with their own special units and rules, the canon universe is literally overflowing with home-brew forces, one search on google images will prove that. I don't think a handful of regiments unique to the BotL will stop anyone from coming up with their own force in out universe if that's what they really want to do.

Heh, my understanding was different than either of yours. I was expecting fluff and rules, but in two different books. I mentioned how I thought they should get their faces smashed in during the Blood Crusade, which is book 4, Escalation. However, that book already has a unique human army, so I was expecting any Heredes rules be done later.

After we have the main books done, it was planned that we would do a couple of supplements to cover the non-legion forces. So, while House Toho will be featured in Book 2, it was to receive a fluff chapter online, while any potential rules could be covered by the supplement. 

Either way, I have no issue with the Heredes getting rules or any other force receiving rule treatment. As Blind points out, the canon universe has dozens of home-brew forces, I don't see a couple here harming the BotL. Just so that everyone understands that not everyone will be in the mainline books too.

Edited by simison

As far as I know, the only divergent Imperial guard regiments that have rules and unique units are the Death Korps, the Elysians, and the Solar Auxilia (which aren't really a regiment). The rest are under the umbrella of the general Imperial Guard or Imperial Militia/Cults rules.

I'm not against people coming up with new forces, but just wondering how necessary it is to give them special rules, when the Imperial Militia list offers plenty of customizability. Is every regiment going to need its own ruleset, unique units and characters?

That said, if it's a supplement type thing, then I don't really have a problem with it.

A friend floated the idea of brutes as counts-as Ogryn, with heaps of vat-grown muscles

Where that is a great idea, it runs counter to the core belief of the Purechild system, that humans as they are have already achieved the perfect form. They abhor mutants and ab-humans. (especially Astartes) They don't even particularly get along with the mechanicus, though they tolerate them a heck of a lot better because at their core they are still "Pure" humans.

The Day We Knelt

Part 1

Markus disengaged the seal on his helmet, grunting as he pulled it off and set it in his lap with shaky hands. He sat there, staring at the battlefield where the men of Vasalius had sought to prove the strength of the purity of mankind. Where they had stood resolute against the traitors of Uran, the Berserkers.

He looked down at the helmet in his lap, it's once gleaming black surface now tarnished by days of constant fighting. It's glaring visage now marred by the impact dent from a round that had failed to penetrate,  crazing his right eye lens instead. He smiled forlornly, remembering the day a similar helmet had been issued. It had been the proudest day of his life. The day they had knelt.

Today was the day! Today was the day the Emperor was coming to Vasalius. It was a day anticipated by the entire population of their world ever since the department of Media and Propaganda had released the news just over a week ago. Yet, even though he stood resplendent in his newly issued armor, surrounded by the rest of the recently formed 1st Terra Heredes Auxilla, who themselves were surrounded by the rest of the Homeguard; Markus Knight found it hard to believe.

They had been standing there at rigid attention for an hour, while drones buzzed overhead taking pic-feeds and watching for anyone foolish enough to let their discipline slip. The excitement was like a flood, filling the massive chamber, threatening to bash down the walls that were created by years of harsh discipline and training. Markus struggled with the overwhelming emotions, and he was convinced that if he was forced to hold it in for much longer he'd be sure to burst. He was instantly glad for his enclosed helmet when a drone buzzed past him, more than aware of the consequences should he have earned it's attention.

What a helmet it was too! Environmentally sealed, with an inbuilt vox and a HUD! Like the rest of his brand new armor it was the best Vasalius had to offer, and worth considerably more than his life if his quartermaster was to be believed. He'd been awestruck when the Lieutenant and his guards had come to his Homeguard platoon wearing the armor, It's black metal plates polished to a mirror like shine. He'd been even more shocked when they told him he'd been selected to serve in the 1st Heredes. High marks they had said.

The energy in the room seemed to change suddenly and drawn from his reminiscence, Markus found his gaze drifting upwards. He immediately arrested the movement, cursing himself for the lapse in control. He cringed inwardly as he waited for the inevitable rebuke from his Sergeant, but when one was not forth-coming he decided to risk a glance around himself and quickly realized why. No one had seen his slip, because they were all looking up.

High above the assembled force an eagle made of gold and fire descended through a gateway that had opened in the ceiling of the cavernous chamber. It's regal passage followed by the gaze of everyone present, enraptured by it's majesty. Before long it had come to rest on the landing pad, the rad scrubbers having already began cleaning the residual radiation from it's hull.

I was just browsing through this, and on the brute point, the Ogryns entry in the Imperial Militia list does state it can stand in for a number of units including mechs, and they can take Heavy Bolters and Power Armour (with the right doctrine). So it's something worth looking into.

Also for the screamers I say go for it this is a sci-fantasy setting. I think it could be cool in a Rocketeer type way, maybe they wear like a full exoharness with inertia dampeners to deal with impact or something.

Also as far official rules go, my vote would be to fight for them having rules, even if we only expound on their fluff in the nine a red book or two for various regiments, knight houses, whatever would be way quicker to put together than the full books, and that's something I'd gladly put blood, sweat, and tears into.

The Day We Knelt

Part 2

Markus could hardly breath. The anticipation creating knots in his chest as the crowd waited for the transport's hatch to lower. He imagined hearing a collective gasp from those around him, masked by a sudden hiss of releasing pressure before the ramp finally lowered, smoothly, to the deck. He willed his eyes to pierce the gloom within the transport to get a glimpse of the individuals he knew were inside, his HUD already tracking their signatures passively.

The gasp imagined earlier became a reality as ten golden giants wearing tall conical helmets marched in twos down the ramp, each of them carrying massive halberds that were easily twice his height in length; with what looked to be a huge gun at the end near the blade. Each of the giants looked well over three or four feet taller than Markus, who himself was about average height for a man of Vasalian stock. They formed a corridor at the base of the ramp and were soon followed by another giant, this one carrying a gigantic broadsword that made the standard issue NCO sword look like a toothpick; who made his way to the end of the corridor before he, and the rest of the honor guard snapped to attention.

The silence that followed was deafening, though Markus could feel the wave of disbelief growing. The Emperor of Mankind was guarded by giants? Ab-humans?! Were the people of Terra so weak, so unworthy that no pure human was up to the task of ensuring the protection of the Emperor? Markus would later reflect that the proudest day of his life might have also been his last if the Emperor hadn't chosen that exact moment of step from the transport, so close was that wave of disbelief to turning into outrage that only by doing so did he prevent a massacre.

The change of mood was instant, the hostility radiating from the crowd immediately replaced with awe, adoration, and more. Tears ran down Markus' face as he beheld the Master of Mankind, and like many there that day he found it difficult to keep his feet beneath him. The Emperor was...he was a man of... Try as he might, Markus couldn't even begin to describe the man who shone like a golden sun. He was perfect, and yet even that word didn't seem to do him justice.

The recordings of that day would fail completely to show the emotion of the assembled men, due mostly to the concealing quality of their armor...The entire Homeguard of "The Grave" as well as the newly formed 1st Heredes, standing at attention. static and in complete silence before the Emperor, as the glorious Lord Commander, the Grand-marshal Xander Purechild, marched forward. The Lord Commander's speech would go down in the histories as one of the grandest speeches given before the Master of Mankind, yet try as he might, Markus couldn't recall what it was he actually said.

His speech concluded, the Lord Commander drew his sword, the legendary Sword of Vasalius, and saluted the Emperor before kneeling and offering his sword. Markus, along with the rest of the 1st Heredes then marched forward and as a powerful up-welling of pride filled his heart, he, along with the entire assembled host, knelt before the Emperor of Mankind.

Oh and how the people of Vasalius cheered...

Markus stared off to his right, to the place he knew the Grandmarshal had fallen. He could still see the banner of the 1st Heredes, posted defiantly in the soil of this alien world so far from Vasalius, billowing in the wind. How valiant the Lord Commander had been for those precious few seconds he stood  against the Primarch of the VIIth legion, while the brave men and women of Vasalius fell around him in their final stand.

He felt a shadow fall over him, and looked up into the soulless glowing red eyes of a Berserker who stood over him, his chain-axe held almost casually in his hand. They stared at each other, the moment stretching for what seemed like forever before the traitor raised his axe for the killing blow.

"Any last words meat-bag?" The giant barked.

Markus smiled grimly, and with a hand covered in the blood he'd been futilely trying to keep from flowing from the fist sized hole in his gut he push down on the plunger of the detonator sitting in the helmet on his lap. A detonator that was rigged to the explosives the Lord Commander has ordered to be concealed throughout throughout their defensive positions. Positions the Berserkers of Uran now roamed looking for survivors to butcher.

"For the Emperor." Markus growled as his world erupted with blinding light, and his ears filled with the glorious battle cry of the warriors of the 1st Terra Heredes.

-End-

Edited by TheBlindPrimarch

Ok, so at this point I only have a little fluff piece left to do for the Xander Purechild section of the first post and "The Battle of Carrion Hill" story left to write. I've condensed everything into the first post for easy reference so please anyone who's interested go ahead and give it a read and let me know what you think. Obviously there are a couple little errors in the text but that'd be ironed out.

• 6 months later...