IM - Vasalius 1st Terra Heredes Imperial Auxilia

TheBlindPrimarch

Back to Selene. I looked and found my old short story. It hasn't made it to the Stories thread, which I need to fix. But that also means I haven't picked a year for it...which is actually good because I fear how many Stories' timeline need to be reworked into the new timeline we've set up. 

Anyway, reading the context, I think this story happens about mid-Insurrection, not long before the First Solar War or maybe even right after it. 

To answer your question Sim, I think Selene could fit but I'm not sure how. Xander doesn't die until during the Blood Crusade, which as Sigi pointed out isn't until after the First Solar War. That would mean that whatever religious experience Selene had would have to be before she became Grand Marshal, and if that's the case the question becomes twofold. One, what is it she encountered on a planet so fervent in their loyalty to the Emperor? Could a cult to Chaos form in such an environment? Would a place where the veil is thin go unnoticed, waiting to be discovered? Even then it leads us to the next part of the question, how did she escape prosecution in a culture that still very stoically follows the tenets of the Imperial Truth? Her status of a member of the Purechild family grants her a certain level of protection, sure, but even though there would be those willing to support her she would be risking her life every single time she tried to discuss what it is she saw, even with members of her own family. (Dynastic politics being what they are.)

Actually, even as I'm writing this the possibilities are screaming at me...this has the making of a rather interesting story arch. 

-Child of Privilege seeks adventure by escaping gilded cage. Wanders too far from home and gets lost in unfamiliar world.

-Finds discarded Aquila made of scrap and well worn copy of the Lectitio Divinitatus.

-Stumbles upon secret place of power and falls victim to hidden Chaos Cult who seek to use her for ritual.

-At the culmination of the Ritual the Emperor's Light saves her, she has rapturous vision of the Emperor speaking to her.

-Wakes to find all the cultists burned to cinder around her, finds Aquila is now gold and Lectitio Divinitatus is now high quality and brand new. Eyes are open to the world around her.

-slowly and carefully begins to spread the message of the Imperial Faith to anyone who will listen. Rapidly grows a support base in the common citizenry. The Nobles begin to notice and are perturbed, but choose not to act due to her connections.

-Support continues to grow, even turning a few nobles to her cause. A few detractors begin to plot against her.

-detractors launch attack and capture Selene and plan to try her for treason and burn her.

-Selene saved by Pure Bloods who support her. They bring news of her father's death, she mourns his loss while taking up the mantle of Grand Marshal.

-Selene uses her position to denounce the Imperial Truth in favor of the Imperial Faith. 

That's all I've got so far, what do you guys think?

Edited by TheBlindPrimarch

I think it's too over-the-top, especially establishing Shrine Worlds. That's something that shouldn't appear for a thousand years or two. Remember, Euphrati's sainthood begins with a chance close encounter with a possessed marine during the Great Crusade.  

Why not have her stationed near the galactic core when the Insurrection breaks out? She's part of the initial line of Imperial Army regiments that try to contain Icarion's expanding empire. To her poor luck, her regiment is attacked by the Eagle Warriors, and that's where she has her first encounter with the supernatural. Either a ritual or some kind of daemonic attack nearly claims her life, but she is able to escape with the regimental survivors aboard a ship, falling back to the next defensive point.

This happens again and again as the Loyalists are forced to retreat before the superior Traitor Legions. All the while, her faith in the Imperial Truth is chipped away, until it utterly collapses. Instead of giving into despair, she has her first vision which leads her to a proto-form of the eventual Imperial Creed. This climaxes into a fight with one of the first possessed marines that she is able to kill. 

From that, she is firmly on the path to sainthood and is now choosing her journey based on the 'Emperor's' guidance. Officially, she becomes Missing in Action as far as the greater galaxy is concerned. Behind the scenes, she travels and ends up arriving on Alexandros' figurative doorstep as he is finishing the Divinatus. She actually catches him off-guard as the first, true Imperial saint. 

This all leads into the short story I posted. Selene spends a few years aiding Othnil in spreading the new Imperial faith. After a bit, her visions call her back to the Warmaster, arriving only a few days after the Massacre of Carrion Hill. Alexandros uses his position to secure her station as Grand Marshal (?). 

I just like the idea of the Eagle Warriors, the Arch-Heretics, accidentally creating the first Imperial saint.

The question is...who's writing it?

I don't know. Maybe if I have time in the future as we get closer to the mid-point of the Insurrection, I can throw some effort this way. You can of course, and anyone else you can convince or who shows interest.

(Tired sigh) Well it's my character, I guess it's only right that I be the one to write her story...let's see if I can keep this one from turning into a book too. lol.

Well, given all of the discussion in the Monthly Challenge, maybe one non-Legion faction could be the proto-Ecclessiarchy. Also, keep in mind, as we near the events in question, more interest will naturally come this way.

• 3 weeks later...

The Vasalius Skimmer Tank

Of all the unique technology utilized by the Terra Heredes Auxiliary, none leave as lasting an impression as the Vasalius Skimmer Tank; a vehicle that serves as both the primary mode of transportation for the Auxilia both on and off the battlefield but also as the preferred armored support vehicle when heavier, tracked options like the Leman Russ Main Battle Tank would slow the advance due to difficult terrain or just general slowness. 

As it's name implies, the Vasalius Skimmer Tank, or the VST-1 as many Heredes know it; utilizes ancient anti-grav technologies to create a gravitational field that levitates the vehicle a few feet off the ground. This field can be manipulated by the crew to increase or decrease the altitude of the vehicle depending on the situation, even allowing the vehicle to achieve limited flight. This capability allows the VST-1 to overcome nearly every kind of terrain obstacle, both natural and constructed; that it encounters. A feature required in it's design by the unforgiving landscape of Vasalius' radiation blasted surface.

Similar to the Chimera Transport Tank utilized by the wider Imperial Army, the VST-1 has a transport capacity of twenty men in full kit, not including the crew, and like it's cousin vehicle also comes equipped with firing ports which affords the embarked passengers the ability to fire at enemy targets while on the move. Another similarity between the VST-1 and the Chimera is the vehicle's comparatively thin armor compared to other tanks. Unlike the Chimera, the VST-1 makes up for this short-coming through speed, travelling only slightly slower than skimmers like the Javelin utilized by the Legion Astartes. Another difference between the two vehicles is the VST-1's primary armament. Whereas the Chimera's multi-laser causes the vehicle to suffer from a lack of stopping power against more heavily armored targets, the VST-1 utilizes a more powerful auto-cannon mounted on a slightly larger turret and comes with the ability to mount either an assault cannon, a flamer, or a multi-melta on a pintol mount. The vehicle is also compatible with the various upgrades and additional armaments available to vehicles in the wider Imperium in its class.

These capabilities in addition to the vehicle's versatility would secure the VST-1's position in the list of equipment considered absolutely required in the execution of the Terra Heredes' preferred method of warfare. Additionally Vasalius' highly self reliant and superior attitude, especially towards those they considered less than pure; would lead them to keep the designs of the VST-1 a closely guarded secret, even from the Mechanicus of Mars, which the sudo-tech-priests of the forges of Vasalius had never officially declared fidelity to. While this attitude wouldn't make the Terra Heredes Auxiliary any allies their effectiveness on the battlefield, in no small part due to the advantages granted them by the VST-1; would make them a highly sought after asset in any major campaign.

In preparation for next month in case anyone is interested...

Selene Purechild:

-Daughter of Xander Purechild.

-Similar in character to Joan of Arc.

-character opposite to her father.

-schooled in military tactics and trained by the commander of the Pure Bloods in combat training and close combat.

-commands the 87th Terra Heredes regiment.

-stationed in Segmentum Solar, supposedly to keep her or of the fighting. (She's not happy about it.)

-loved by her men, who refer to her as the White Lady of Vasalius.

-secretly insecure about her Destiny as heir to the position of Grand Marshal.

-kind and merciful.

-does not believe in the Purechild system.

Edited by TheBlindPrimarch

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
With the elongated timeline, I'm thinking Selene should really pop up with the onset of the Second Solar War. Apart from anything else it'd underline our divergence with canon, that a whole new couple of generations come up during the conflict.

Well, I had planned on her being 18 at the onset of the First Solar War circa 040.M31. Her father dies at the climax of the Battle of Cadia 047.M31 and she formally attains the mantel of Grandmarshal a year later when she's 26. By the Second Solar War she'd be thirty.

• 1 year later...

Why would we need to drop Terra from the name? The whole idea behind it was to illustrate the arrogance of Xander Purechild, and by extension, the people of Vasalius, who see themselves as the true heirs of humanity.

As to your second point, I agree. I think it would be great to see the Terra Heredes under Xander's leadership during the Crusade.

While I'm not familiar with that phrase, I imagine it means something along the lines of claiming something that isn't theirs. If that's the case, then that's perfect, because it's exactly what they're doing.

Why? Arrogance is a common character flaw in the Warhammer Universe. I mean, look at most High Ranking Imperial Officers, Nobles, and Inquisitors. If you look at the arrogance of Xander, and by extension, the Heredes, and compare it to any other example in Universe, you'll see that their level of arrogance is only slightly extreme by caparison. 

While I'm not familiar with that phrase, I imagine it means something along the lines of claiming something that isn't theirs. If that's the case, then that's perfect, because it's exactly what they're doing.

Why? Arrogance is a common character flaw in the Warhammer Universe. I mean, look at most High Ranking Imperial Officers, Nobles, and Inquisitors. If you look at the arrogance of Xander, and by extension, the Heredes, and compare it to any other example in Universe, you'll see that their level of arrogance is only slightly extreme by caparison. 

Do you have some examples of other planets daring to claim to be better than 'Holy Terra'?

When did I say that they thought they were better than Holy Terra? The Vasalian's superiority complex is derived from their belief that they are "Pure" humans. Un-augmented, un-mutated, humans. They see Terra as the cradle of mankind, and the throne of mankind's ascendancy over the galaxy.

The underlying meaning of naming the forces from Vasalius the Terra Heredes or "Inheritors of Terra" is the Vasalian belief that it will be "Pure" humans that inherit the unified universe the Emperor, who they view as the perfect man, is trying to create.

Does that make sense?

Their arrogance stems from their belief in their own purity, and the assumption of what that will mean for their future.