Rebooting The Approach- AM Post-FAQ

Hey fellow datasmiths,

I'm new to the Admech fold, but like many others I've been scouring the wealth of battlebrother allies for the perfect transports to get the real soldiers up the field faster.

That is, until the "finalized" FAQ came out.

Reiterating how new I am, I'm unsure how greatly this affects the approach I should take to Admech. Do you guys and gals think it's still worth waiting that first turn to hop into the metal boxes to get upfield, or does the time it takes to jump in and out bring too much risk for too little reward? I wasn't planning on going to Drop pod route so that doesn't hurt me so much, but should I bother spending points on chimeras and rhinos and tauroxes when my Vanguard sit at the bus stop waiting their turn?

What's your collective thoughts?

Has there ever been any discussion on the fact that the FaQ talks about embarking in a transport while the rulebook refers to units starting the game in transports as deploying? Page 263 of my rulebook under the Deployment heading reads "models can be deployed 'inside' buildings, fortifications, or transport vehicles in the deployment zone subject to their transport capacity. On page 157 of my pdf rulebook it says that "Models can only voluntarily embark or disembark in the Movement phase. So when the questioner asked  "Can units that are battle brothers embark in each other's transport vehicles during deployment?" he is asking whether or not he can do something outside of the phase it is assigned to. He may as well have asked if he could cast a psychic power in the movement phase. This seems to be the key in that embarking is a specific rule that takes place at a specific time, this faq ruling seems a no brainer since its asking about a specific rule.

I think that's reaching a bit, brother.  I get where you're coming from but it's clearly a contest of wording, especially given no other army affected by it has tried to rationalize overcoming the rule via this interpretation.

That said, if you can get the folks in your meta to agree then that's on them, but for my money it's pretty clear BB is the only way to use another faction's transports before turn 1.  In either case, I think the "deploy outside and embark" concept is a fine workaround but honestly it limits us to Rhinos/Chimeras/etc. which won't really help with the primary issue, getting shot up before we can get in range with our shooty units.  To make things worse, we'll have to pay some "unit tax" just to access these transports.  For the most part, I disregard the "transport issue" and just count it as a downside of the army, compensating with long ranged support units (Onagers, Kataphron Destroyers, etc.) and simply using the extra points I save from not using transports on taking more models per squad or units in general.

Well, with the modern FAQ you gotta start outside and embark, potentially leaving yourself open for a turn. I do not think that's a good idea, as quite a lot can happen to your guys before they even open up the rhino's hatch, especially if you go 2nd. drop podding dreadnoughts, barrage weapons, all that good stuff can kinda ruin your chances of getting into rhinos before the game starts.

I suggest we should just tough it out and wait for the next codex and see what that brings.

Fingers crossed for a plastic Triarios biggrin.png

Fingers crossed for the admech to get transports like the tauros and chimera. >w< Seriously, It's screwed up that a bunch of butt-headed genestealer cultists got chimeras, leman russ's and goliath tanks before the guys who make them!

Fingers crossed for the admech to get transports like the tauros and chimera. >w< Seriously, It's screwed up that a bunch of butt-headed genestealer cultists got chimeras, leman russ's and goliath tanks before the guys who make them!

With luck, among other things the next IA will make the Triaros and Explorator usable by 40K Mechanicus.

With luck, among other things the next IA will make the Triaros and Explorator usable by 40K Mechanicus.

I agree those would be good, but it's hard to beat the classics when both of them cost almost as much as a full arc-rifle vanguard squad or more.

Still... if we get those then I would actually buy electro-priests / Sicarans and cart them around in style.

Archived