Fighting Riptides

Indefragable

Bit late to this party, could do with a quick run down on their stats/rules to help but against big tough nasties the Guard approach is usually throwing more appropriate fire power at it. That or some tarpitting as mentioned - basically numbers in some form :P Can you give us an update on how the game went?

Very late, but here goes:

Bane Wolves will be no good, the Riptide has a 2+ Save. The only options you really have are torrents of Melta, Plasma and Lascannon to chip away at it, but it can Nova Charge for a 3++ and will likely have a 5+ FNP as well. With that in mind, you can tarpit it with a mob of Conscripts as it only gets 3 WS2 attacks a turn, and they might hurt it with a Priest providing re-rolls to Wound. This is also the perfect chance to sneak a Primaris Psyker with a Force Axe. AP2 Instant Death, with the Priest granting re-rolls to Hit in the first round and to Wound if they're lucky on Ld7. Just need one lucky Wound to get past the Invuln and boom, no more Mr Rippy. Tau's pitiful Psykic defense means they'll be powerless to stop it.

The best weapon is probably Beast Hunter Shells from the Armoured Company list. Can one-shot it from a distance.

I'll update with details when I can. Long story short, no bueno. 

I mismanaged my psychic powers (was relying on terrify + psychich shriek) especially considering I was only rolling 1's and 2's for the bonus WC. That really screwed me more than anything. I had an Astropath + 3x ML2 Primarii. I also deployed fairly consertively, which preserved my melta-mech Vets, but it just delayed the inevitable. If I had been more aggressive, they would have at least died en route to taking something down instead of giving him a 2nd Turn of unmolested shooting. 

Pask in a Vanquisher w/ buddy Vanq did jackdiddlysquat as well, not unsurprisingly. I was not aware of the whole beast hunter thing until another Guard player a table over just so happened to whip out Imperial Armor Volume 1. That's going to be some research on my part. Side note: Commissar Vanquishers w/ Beast Hunters....thoughts? 

Positives: wyverns did work (no surprise there....feel like we should start a thread geared just to creative uses for Wyverns) and the humble lasgun wiped a stealth suit unit and shaved wounds off of Ghostkeels with 2+ cover saves. 

I'll post more details when I can. 

I mismanaged my psychic powers (was relying on terrify + psychich shriek) especially considering I was only rolling 1's and 2's for the bonus WC. 

Well...unfortunately, *nothing* is good when you roll 1s and 2s.  But it does make it that much harder when facing something where rolling all 6s still makes it hard to kill.  

I mismanaged my psychic powers (was relying on terrify + psychich shriek) especially considering I was only rolling 1's and 2's for the bonus WC. 

Well...unfortunately, *nothing* is good when you roll 1s and 2s.  But it does make it that much harder when facing something where rolling all 6s still makes it hard to kill.  

Correct: there's only so much you can do with bad dice, but a good general is prepared for all circumstances and can work with what s/he has: an army of sheep led by a lion....

My problem was that I had a big Conscript blob that I was trying to buff through the roof, while also relying on Psychic Shriek to down his tough stuff. Since 2x of my dudes also got Terrify (-1Ld to an enemy unit), I stretched myself too far. I should have let the conscripts be (they got invisibility twice) and focuses on Shrieking his stuff off the board. Lack of focus on my part

My list (my "go-to" all-rounder list):

Hidden Content

Imperial Guard Combined Arms Detachment 1999pts

NO FORCE ORG:

MInistorum Priest x 3

Primaris Psyker x 3

HQ: 

Knight Commander Pask

--Leman Russ Vanquisher

----Hull: Lascannon

----Dozer Blade

--Leman Russ Vanquisher

----Hull: Lascannon

----Dozer Blade

----Camo Netting

Company Command Squad

--Cmdr Carapace

--Veteran Carapace

--Melta gun x 3

--Vox Caster

--Astropath

Chimera

--Turret: Multi-Laser

--Hull: Heavy Bolter

--Dozer Blade

TROOPS:

Infantry Platoon

--Platoon Command Squad

--Infantry Squad x 2

--Conscripts x 47

Veteran Squad

--Grenadiers (Carapace armor)

--Melta gun x 3

--Vox Caster

Chimera

--Dozer Blade

Veteran Squad

--Melta gun x 3

--Vox Caster

Chimera

--Dozer Blade

Veteran Squad

--Melta gun x 3

--Vox Caster

Chimera

--Dozer Blade

HEAVY SUPPORT: 

Manticore

Wyvern

Wyvern

++++

CONCEPT:

Throw priests and Primarii in Conscript bomb to form a huge middle-of-the-board blob to gum up the works and/or tarpit the scariest unit. Arty and Vanqui-Pask sit back and pummell things. Mech Vets + CCS are the maneuver elements. The infantry squads either stay low-threat and camp obj or go off on a wing to plink things with lasguns. 

That would be a frightening number of bodies to face.   A couple of minor points savings I'd make: I only put dozer blades on short range (punisher and demolisher) russes, as they like the flexibility to charge through terrain to get into range asap, not sure how useful they'd be on vanquishers?  Also could you lose a melta gun from each vet squad, or do you disembark them voluntarily?  I've always been told to leave them in their transports, in which case only 2 can fire.  Extra points could then be spent maybe on camo netting for the vanqs.  I also find at least 1 flamer to be nice on chimeras, esp. if they have meltas inside.

That would be a frightening number of bodies to face.   A couple of minor points savings I'd make: I only put dozer blades on short range (punisher and demolisher) russes, as they like the flexibility to charge through terrain to get into range asap, not sure how useful they'd be on vanquishers?  Also could you lose a melta gun from each vet squad, or do you disembark them voluntarily?  I've always been told to leave them in their transports, in which case only 2 can fire.  Extra points could then be spent maybe on camo netting for the vanqs.  I also find at least 1 flamer to be nice on chimeras, esp. if they have meltas inside.

This is my best list, but I don't know if it's a great IG list. All good points you raise, and here's my own logic:

• I put Dozer Blades on pretty much every vehicle unless they are backfield artillery or its a small points games. Vehicles, IMO, are made to move, and "Gets Hot: vehicle edition" ruins that basic concept. To me, it's worth shelling out 25-50pts (out of 1850-2000) to make sure they keep truckin'. Nothing worse than maneuvering a Vanquisher for a game-winning shot only to get it immobilized at a bad angle. Just my opinion. 
  • Tri-melta Vets. I know that rule of thumb quite well. I put 3 for a couple reasons: A) 2 is better than 1 and 3 is better than 2, ad infinium  B ) They will be dismounted, whether voluntarily or involuntarily (and not just from immobilizing on a pothole): as such, I want them to pack as much of a punch as possible. I think of them more as 3x BS4 Meltas surrounded by an Orders-receiver and meatshields than lasguns with a few AT weapons. As such I throw them at SM and the like quite often. C) I almost always pair mounted vets with a likewise mounted CCS. As such, I am frequently disembarking one or both of them for some key Bring it Down!/Fire on my Target! Orders
  • The "buddy" Tank has camo netting. I always keep it up front, that way it takes damage first, potentially saving Pask. More often than not it doesn't matter, but that's the theory
  • I double up on Wyverns for the dedicated anti-infantry. I understand the desire for flamers, but I, personally, prefer BS4 weapons to go to things that make better use for it. Flamers have been in Infantry Squads before, all though more and more I just prefer MOAR lasguns with FRFSRF. 
  • In terms of the Primarii and priests, the "default" setting is to put them all with the Conscripts. Dependent on battlefield conditions, I break them off to hide with vets or the infantry squads, and so forth. I always keep at least 2x priests in the Conscript bomb.

Just my counter-points (in a friendly, let's hash-this-thing-out way). Thanks for your thoughts! 

Archived