Fliers in 30k- resilient enough?

sturguard

Hey folks, 

I am new to 30k and am wondering how resilient fliers are, especially if I just want to take one.

I really like the Lightning model but it seems expensive points-wise to deck it out and with Deredeo's, Tarantulas, Contemptors, other fliers and I think some things allows units to fire their weapons at fliers they dont stand much of a chance. I Lightning only has 2 HPs, can I expect it to even live for a turn? I dont plan on playing really high point levels I am looking at 2000-2500 pt games so it is a big investment in a small sized game, but again, I do like the model.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Lightnings, like most 30k flyers, are well suited for their role- in this case strafing a specific unit/model and then harassing what's left. The reason I say they're so well suited is because they typically earn back their points (if not double) from killing the enemy's big guns. Case in point, a loaded out spartan (which is decently common) is 375, while a lightning with 2x2 krakens and upgrades is 230. You're likely to kill el Spartan when the lighting shows up, and earn its points plus extra back. From that point, survival is just a moral victory, and unless your opponent has dedicated AA, if they're spending valuable firepower on a 2HP flyer, then all the better for you.

For survivability, you need Fire Raptors/Storm Eagles. For killing something (mainly tanks/knights/big stuff) fast, Lightnings and Xiphons.

(Keep in mind I say this as someone who has totally ignored DFtS.)

Flyers are a totally legit strat. As someone who plays a double Spartan list at times, seeing lightnings I list terrifys me as they just open them up where nothing else can. They have one job, load them up with krakens, strafing run and tank hunter and it will nuke a spartan the turn it comes on providing I awful rolls. Most people in my group don't bring AA so then you can just wiz about with the lascanons. Even if it did get punked it's done its job.

If your group runs a lot of deredeos just have a way of taking them out turn 1 as your flyer will only come on turn 2 earliest. Also remember dreads can't shoot 360 and have to declare that they want to go into AA mode at the start of their turn but really, unless they are bringing 2, you should be able to find so,E where to bring them on out of arc

I was gonna laugh because most of the 30k fliers are rock solid and generally laugh at autocannon AA :D 

The Lightning isnt but then the lightning fires its payload of krakens (or sometimes phosphex) and anything after that is a bonus ;)

I was gonna laugh because most of the 30k fliers are rock solid and generally laugh at autocannon AA biggrin.png

The Lightning isnt but then the lightning fires its payload of krakens (or sometimes phosphex) and anything after that is a bonus msn-wink.gif

S7 Autocannon AA, sure, but S8 Sunder Autocannon AA of the Deredeo? Not so much tongue.png Or its new S10 Super-Lascannons...

Archived