Introducing the 21st Levian Dragons

MoGuy

If you want to stick to the IA book I would bring the grey knights

Jup, that's the plan. I like the book because it gives me the ability to just add a single unit to my army, without having to go for an allied detachment. And it's also fluffy as hell so I want to stick with the Imperial Agents book. I'll probably go for the Interceptors and the NDK. ^^

Just keep in mind that after every successful campaign the GKs will wipe out who ever remains of your guard.

Why tho? I never understood that piece of fluff. It feels like GW tries to hype them up some more like they are the mysterious elite that is so elite³ that no one short of a Space Marine may even know of. But why? The Scion fluff states that they too fight against Daemons. If the Grey Knights purge their "comrades" after each battle for fear of those normal humies being corrupted then why isn't that standard procedure after any non-space-marine-force had contact with Daemons? And if they kill the others so that no one may know of their existence then I see no reason why they would want to stay so secret. 

Just keep in mind that after every successful campaign the GKs will wipe out who ever remains of your guard.

Why tho? I never understood that piece of fluff. It feels like GW tries to hype them up some more like they are the mysterious elite that is so elite³ that no one short of a Space Marine may even know of. But why? The Scion fluff states that they too fight against Daemons. If the Grey Knights purge their "comrades" after each battle for fear of those normal humies being corrupted then why isn't that standard procedure after any non-space-marine-force had contact with Daemons? And if they kill the others so that no one may know of their existence then I see no reason why they would want to stay so secret.

In the painting guide of the skitarii there is a story of them fighting against chaos. At the end it says "much of the excarnaclade had to be purged" the alpha was sparred and put into stasis because he had valuable knowledge on the demons that could be used in the future.

In the painting guide of the skitarii there is a story of them fighting against chaos. At the end it says "much of the excarnaclade had to be purged" the alpha was sparred and put into stasis because he had valuable knowledge on the demons that could be used in the future. 

That makes even less sense to me, since most Skitarii are barely human. Their emotions etc. all get dialed back when in battle. So in order for them to be "tainted" the Daemons would have to possess them or their systems. In other words, I can understand the danger of say normal Guardsmen going insane after battling Daemons. Less so for the Scions who are much more durable mentally. But in order for a Skitarius to go insane his cogitator would have to fail, which is highly unlikely. The Tech-Priest could just dial all his Skitarii's human side back with the push of a button if he sees that their stress levels during battle begin to peak. And at that point they are basically just servitors and killing-machines without any empathy. 

Did the book say why they had to be purged? If they got possessed I can understand. But just "witnessing" the Grey Knights doesn't really seem like a legitimate reason for me (even if Skitarii are just cannon fodder in the ocularis of their Tech Priests ;])

There were no grey knights present - just skitarii and demons.

The book says-

In the aftermath of the metalican incursion onto Armageddon, much of the excarnaclade had to be purged, their minds and bodies hopelessly tainted by the vile foes they had fought so hard to defeat.

Alright, another update!

Since we have holidays (University will resume monday, work will start again next week) I was at my LGS this whole week just furiously assembling and painting minis. 

As always I wanted to share my progress with you guys. Have some pictures of my Grey Knights. I am pretty proud of the Nemesis Dreadknight conversion (don't like the "Baby-Holder") and the snowbases also look quite decent (I made the snow myself by mixing baking soda with PVA glue).

Group picture:

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/7d17f8-1483136357.jpg

Nemesis Dreadknight. Flag is from the Terminator sprue, conversion was done with the front panel of a Venerable Dreadnought and lots of cutting/green stuff.

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/c3b161-1483136430.jpg

Finished squad of Interceptors. Just need to paint their bases.

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/f6d94b-1483136475.jpg

Slightly converted Deathwatch Librarian. Wardingstaff is from the Interceptor sprue. Same for the hammer and the halberd. I magnetised the handjoint. Had to do some cutting since most close combat weapons are held in the minis right hand but since the Librarian is a lefty I had to fit the weapons to a new hand (also from the Interceptor and Terminator sprue).

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/cbb56a-1483136702.jpg

And my squad of Termis, which aren't done yet.

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/e5c739-1483136726.jpg

With the Librarian I also have access to the Nemesis Strikeforce, if I feel like bringing a bit more Grey Knights. He also gives me access to the new Marine powers (Electromancy etc.). Normally, I really dislike the Marine-look since they all look like clones with little to no difference from one guy to the next. But since the Grey Knights have a lot of details on them they are actually quite nice. I especially love the Halbert of the Justicar. The purity seals on it just give it an epic look! :D

As always, I hope you guys like the pics. C&C is always welcome. ^^

I love the power effect on the weapons it looks amazing well done sir!

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you like it! :) Actually the first time I tried that kind of effect. The lines are still too thick for my taste but my fine brush is pretty beat up. Got a new one today though so I'll try to make the next batch a bit finer. I used wetblending on the Powerweapons. Gradiant from Kantor Blue to Lothern Blue at the tip. Then I applied the first layer of the "lightning" with Lothern Blue and highlighted it with Ceramite White. After that I glazed the whole weapon with Guilliman Blue and highlighted the edges with Ceramite White. Pretty simple but I love that kind of lightning-effect. The only time-comsuming part is the wetblending, since the color has to be quite light, since the Guilliman Blue makes it quite a bit darker. 

The Nemesis Dreadknight will be a nightmare to paint. He has lots of bits as he is but I glued on even more to make him look more coherent so that will be some work coming my way. ^^"

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished painting my Grey Knights (pics coming soon). They make good allies for the Scions since their infantry is much tougher and they add close combat power as well as warpcharges. 

I am also fortunate enough to already own the Fall Of Cadia book. And since Scions are part of the new "mega detachment" I am thinking about how we can get the most out of it. 

We only have to take 2 HQs (which can be the Command Squad) and 4+ troops (which is easy for us). That also gives us access to:

Leman Russes

Artillery (Basilisk, Hydra, Wyvern, Whirlwinds etc.)

More transports (Rhinos, Razorbacks etc.)

Walkers (all types of Dreadnoughts, Pentient Engines etc.)

Vendettas(!!!)

Many flyers (Valkyries, Stormtalons, Stormhawks etc.)

and LOWs (all non-FW Knights, all Baneblades)

The other benefits we get is that our troops come back on a 5+ and everything has Hatred.

Thoughts?

but a bit points heavy and dependant on what you want but that's generally how detachments go!

...How is it points heavy? The "Castellans Of The Imperium" only gets costly when you want to max it out. But to unlock it, we only need 2 HQs and 4+ troops, which is something  that any Scion list has anyway. So we take something like:

2x Command Squad w/ 4x Plasma

4x5 Scions w/ 2x Plasma/Melter

and this unlocks all the things I listed above. I don't see how that is "points heavy". Unlocking a Leman Russ via an allied detachment for example would be much more points heavy.

To me this is the Hellrain Formation but with a ton more options and the drawback is that our Scions only come back on a 5+ instead of automatically going back into ongoing reserves.

Need Warp Charges? Take a Librarian as an HQ.

Need Close Combat Support? Take some Repentias/Assault Termis/Dreadnoughts/etc.

Need Long distance fire support? Take Artillery.

And so on. I don't see any drawbacks here. This finally enables the Scions to function as the basis of an army that you can customize to your likings. Before it was either pure Scions (bad/meh), Scions as elites for the AM (meh) or Scions as allies (alright). Now we can actually be a strong army, since this detachment unlocks all the tools that we needed! :)

To use that formation you need to have at least two factions represented.

So you would need to add or swap in another faction unit somewhere.

For example by adding a cheap inquisitor or priest... Thats 25 pts for some nice benefits, at least definitly for scions.

Love that Dreadknight. I may steal that idea. smile.png

Thanks. As promised, here are the pics of the finished models:

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/5258d3-1484322977.jpg

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/e26ea4-1484323112.jpg

Painting the "loincloth" is a pain in the a**! Still, I am very pleased with how he turned out. Now he actually looks like a hulking Machine instead of a dude strapped to a heavy-weight-lifting-robot by a babycarrier...

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/efc5ab-1484323134.jpg

And the finished Termis. :)

To use that formation you need to have at least two factions represented.

So you would need to add or swap in another faction unit somewhere.

But I do have those...? It doesn't say that the 2 HQs and 4+ Troops have to be taken from two different factions. So I can still fill those with Scions and then just take a single Leman Russ if I feel like it and I would still fulfill the requirements of the formation. It just says that the formation must contain stuff from at least two different armies.

Any recommendations from the Guard players as to which tanks/units would be most useful for the Stormtroopers?

I'd avoid the pie plates, as your Scions will be up close and personal so you'd want to avoid blue on blue. That does limit you a bit, but the others are capable especially if you fancy some demech on light transports (save the Scion melta for the big boys). Alternatively you can be careful with targeting and maybe "offer up" an area/flank for the Russes to shell for example?

Archived