Hey guys! The Legionnaire formally known as Sith’ari here.

After a few years away from the Black, I dug The Gate Aflame out of storage and I’m currently going through and updating my dudes ready for our assault on Vigilius! Still haven’t found all of my stuff (I’m fairly sure my chosen and plague marines are lost in the warp) but here’s a potato cam pic of my guys:

http://i.imgur.com/OqzPIJ4.jpg

As you can see, the rebasing is progressing well. Current plans are to get everything rebased and brought up to my current painting standard. Then a few new units so I can field a decentish eighth edition list. Then it’s time to see what new goodies GW drops on us when Vigilius falls!

WE ARE RETURNED!

I just finished reading ADB's Black Legion the other day, and wow.  I was going to do Iron Warriors but, not going to lie, after reading Black Legion, donning the Black is very tempting (I had Black Legion way back in 1997 when I first sold my soul to Chaos); I love how it portrays Abaddon and the Black Legion as pretty close to anti-heroes rather than full-blown villains.  And the fact that it's a strong possibility that BL will get individual love (not to mention a new Abaddon).

I just finished reading ADB's Black Legion the other day, and wow.  I was going to do Iron Warriors but, not going to lie, after reading Black Legion, donning the Black is very tempting (I had Black Legion way back in 1997 when I first sold my soul to Chaos); I love how it portrays Abaddon and the Black Legion as pretty close to anti-heroes rather than full-blown villains.  And the fact that it's a strong possibility that BL will get individual love (not to mention a new Abaddon).

I've not read the books, but with Haarken and now the new Sorcerer, I am sorely tempted to switch my stalled Crimson Slaughter warband to Black Legion.

I feel like with the way other legions join in on the black crusades you have every reason to paint up what you like and run them along with Black Legion as well. As in, if your havocs and tanks are in IW colors(or Steel Bretheren in my case) they won’t look bad in a mixed army with the same bases, and if you have other HQs you can mix and match and use different legion traits in different games if you want.

I feel like with the way other legions join in on the black crusades you have every reason to paint up what you like and run them along with Black Legion as well. As in, if your havocs and tanks are in IW colors(or Steel Bretheren in my case) they won’t look bad in a mixed army with the same bases, and if you have other HQs you can mix and match and use different legion traits in different games if you want.

Black Crusade != Black Legion. That's like assuming everyone in the Indomitus Crusade belongs to the Ultramarines because it was Guillimans thing. Black Legion Marines just form the core of each Black Crusade but the other Legions that join remain their own Legions with their individual specialties and such.

That being said, of course you are fine to paint your guys however you want. No colour scheme is bound to a specific set of rules.

I was more getting at it being thematic to have them alongside Black Legion in games because usually they are attacking this way with other armies under the banner. Even if you have different detachments to use different legion traits or to run death guard or tsons, just that it makes sense from a fluff perspective to have them in on the same battles.

Yeah but honestly there's always a way to explain why some (sub-)faction fights alongside some other (sub-)faction. There were even instances when Chaos and Imperium fought together against some Xenos. It's a huge galaxy and there are almost no restrictions on the narrative you can tell if you are creative enough.

"If" I switched to Black Legion, it would just be my current Crimson Slaughter. Thankfully I only ever got one model painted (Sorcerer), but they are all primed red though... 

It's everything I own, minus the two Daemon Princes. Thankfully I'm not a competitive player, so I dont care if its "optimal" or "good". If they really do release new updated CSM models that match what came out post Dark Vengeance, I'd eventually add more to this.

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [123 PL, 1999pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gifts of Chaos (2 Relics)
Categories: No Force Org Slot

Legion: Black Legion
Categories: No Force Org Slot

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord: First Among Traitors, No Chaos Mark, Plasma pistol, Power sword, The Murder Sword, Warlord

Exalted Champion: Combi-melta, Mark of Khorne, Power axe, Talisman of Burning Blood

Sorcerer: Bolt pistol, Death Hex, Eye of Tzeentch, Force sword, Mark of Tzeentch, Warptime

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists: No Chaos Mark

8x Chaos Cultist w/ autopistol and brutal assault weapon
Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Flamer
Cultist Champion: Brutal assault weapon and Autopistol

Chaos Cultists: No Chaos Mark

8x Chaos Cultist w/ autopistol and brutal assault weapon
Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Flamer
Cultist Champion: Brutal assault weapon and Autopistol

Chaos Space Marines: No Chaos Mark

Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Power Fist
7x Marine w/ Boltgun
Marine w/ special weapon: Plasma gun
Marine w/ special weapon: Plasma gun

Chaos Space Marines: No Chaos Mark

Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Power Fist
7x Marine w/ Boltgun
Marine w/ special weapon: Meltagun
Marine w/ special weapon: Meltagun

+ Elites +

Chosen: No Chaos Mark
Chosen Champion: Bolt pistol, Power Fist
Chosen: Power axe

Helbrute: Helbrute fist, Multi-melta, No Chaos Mark

+ Fast Attack +

Chaos Spawn: 3x Chaos Spawn, No Chaos Mark

Raptors: No Chaos Mark

Raptor Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword
Raptor w/ plasma pistol
Raptor w/ plasma pistol
2x Raptor

+ Heavy Support +

Chaos Land Raider: No Chaos Mark, Twin heavy bolter, 2x Twin lascannon

Defiler: No Chaos Mark, Reaper autocannon, Twin heavy flamer

Forgefiend: 2x Hades autocannons, Ectoplasma cannon, No Chaos Mark

+ Flyer +

Heldrake: Baleflamer, Heldrake claws, No Chaos Mark

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino: Combi-bolter, No Chaos Mark

Chaos Rhino: Combi-bolter, No Chaos Mark
Edited by CMDR_Welles

Ah well if it's just primed red then you won't have any problems. One should do a basecoat over the primer anyway and luckily black covers extremely well any kind of primer. :D

I for one started to use Leadbelcher spray primer for almost all my models because it serves as primer just as good as black spray primer but it lets me see shadows better so it's easier to paint. Also if paint starts to come off chances are it looks like battledamage. :D

Exactly the reason I took the Black. To be honest, my forces have gone through a similar tragedy to the BL, they were originally BL, then WB, then renegades, then IW, and now BL once again. They've been stripped a million times, but this has to be the last time, as I can't keep changing my mind! Thankfully the new models look amazing for BL so I am a happy bunny. 

I'm already basically painting the scheme for my Slaves to Darkness AoS army. It wont be hard to replicate for 40k since I know how to do it.

Ghta7De.jpg

It0T1dz.jpg

cSzZcsg.jpg

sb3PThW.jpg

Please forgive the fantasy model, I'm just really proud of him. I'll probably go a little lighter on the gunmetal dry brushing so its a bit darker. 

Red primer is no problem for Black Legion. It's even a bonus if you're doing former Crimson Slaughter, World Eaters, Red Corsairs, or Word Bearers who took the Black. Also a bonus for Black Lions given the original DA colors.

This Hounds of Abbadon too :wink: Maybe even wait a bit for the next Vigilus to drop and see what new detatchments we get, I’d imagine a few things from the gathering storm or traitor legions will make a comeback.

Can't believe I forgot the Hounds. I have a buddy who has a Hounds ARMY for crying out loud.....even has a Lord of Skulls.

Lifted straight off the Lexi -

http://i.imgur.com/VPNWaA8.jpg

I know it’s not always accurate and probably not them all but -

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Black_Legion#Known_warbands

Also, there is a list of our own Warbands and Leaders on the first page of this thread :tu:

Edited by Midnight Runner

Lifted straight off the Lexi -

http://i.imgur.com/VPNWaA8.jpg

I know it’s not always accurate and probably not them all but -

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Black_Legion#Known_warbands

Also, there is a list of our own Warbands and Leaders on the first page of this thread :thumbsup:

I keep forgetting about the Lexicanum. Thanks. 

It’s not always accurate, and as Horrible has pointed out there is omissions, but it’s decent enough for my meagre fluff-memory :D

EDIT - Also, guess who is planning a full day of painting tomorrow, this little fella has just been undercoated

http://i.imgur.com/if89t6d.jpg

“We are returned”

Edited by Midnight Runner

I have a few tournaments coming up in February and I'm thinking of trying an old list out now that its easier to fit into 2k.

Brigade Detatchment - Heretic Astartes, Black Legion

HQs

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour

Combi-melta, Power Sword, Murder Sword, Warlord

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour

combi-bolter, force stave, mark of Slaanesh, Prescience, Delightful Agonies

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour

combi-bolter, force axe, mark of Nurgle, Warptime, Miasma of Pestilence

Troops

10 Cultists

heavy stubber, autoguns

10 Cultists

heavy stubber, autoguns

5 Chaos Space Marines

Plasma Gun, Plasma Pistol, Power Fist, Chain swords, Mark of Khorne

5 Chaos Space Marines

Plasma Gun, Combi-Plasma, Power Sword

5 Chaos Space Marines

Melta Gun, Combi-Melta, Power Axe

5 Chaos Space Marines

Plasma Gun, Combi-Plasma, Power Axe

Elites

Helbrute

2 fists, 2 combi bolters, Mark of Nurgle

Helbrute

Fist, Twin lascannon, heavy flamer, Mark of Slaanesh

Helbrute

Helbrute Plasma cannon, missile launcher, Mark of Slaanesh

Fast Attack

5 Raptors

Mark of Khorne, Icon of Wrath, 2 plasma guns, power fist, plasma pistol

Chaos Spawn

3 Chaos Bikers

2 flamers, combi-flamer

Heavy Support

3 Obliterators

Mark of Slaanesh

5 Havoks

Mark of Slaanesh, 4 missile launchers

5 Havoks

Mark of Slaanesh, 4 autocannons

Dedicated Transports

Rhino

2 combi bolters, mark of nurgle

Rhino

2 combi bolters, havoc launcher, mark of slaanesh

I'll be testing it at the start of February with a one day tournament and taking it to a full 5 game one if I'm happy with it.

Edited by Closet Skeleton