I too have finally decided to "Take the Black" as it were and I can honestly say the Master of Possession, Hyasphus Kul, is the most METAL model Games Workshop has released in years outside of the remake of the glam metal Noise Marine.

I LOVE the Kul model. Or as I like to call him Floaty McSkullface

I'm painting my marines with quite brassy trim, as I used the recipe from Duncan Rhodes' Sons of Horus tutorial. Balthasar Gold as a base, with a wash of Agrax Earthshade and a highlight of Sycorax Bronze. They showed another version at the HH weekender last week - the difference is that they used Gehenna's Gold instead of Balthasar. I'm tempted to try that one on the new Abaddon model, to make him stand apart a little.

Anyway, welcome to the club!

My black is pretty basic - just black :biggrin.: on the marine sized dudes anyway and then battle damaged. I do highlight with greys on big things. For gold, I use Balthasar Gold, highlights with Ghennas Gold (sp?) then son Runefang Steel on some very edges. I do apply verdigris heat and there, and around rivets/bolts :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips gents, I've lurked through both of your WIP threads many times so great to hear how you paint your BL. Sounds like you both do very similar with regards to the trim (i believe Balthasar Gold is perhaps just a touch darker then Gehenna's), i think i'll probably use Balthasar Gold myself as i still have a ton of it knocking around from other projects. Going to do a test on some Raptors first off and see how things go :smile.:

Balthasar has much better coverage than Gehennas Gold, but it can be lightened up to taste once down. I tend to keep mine quite dark, so don’t go mad with the the Gehennas over the top :thumbsup:

Additionally, the tutorial they posted on WarhammerTV for Haarken had two different golds on him, maybe you could also check there?

I have a Terminator Lord, Daemon Prince with Wings, a couple sorcerers, 3 Marine Squads, 30 Cultists, a Chosen Squad, Possessed squad, a Predator, 20 Havocs, a Berzerkers squad, a Rhino, a Helbrute, Contemptor, a Terminator squad, and a Khorne Lord of Skulls. What should I get next for the Black Legion?

I have a Terminator Lord, Daemon Prince with Wings, a couple sorcerers, 3 Marine Squads, 30 Cultists, a Chosen Squad, Possessed squad, a Predator, 20 Havocs, a Berzerkers squad, a Rhino, a Helbrute, Contemptor, a Terminator squad, and a Khorne Lord of Skulls. What should I get next for the Black Legion?

How about some Obliterators, this new Daemon engine, a new Sorcerer and some more Marine Squads? Not sure how I came up with exactly these models. :whistling:

I hate Tau. Sorry, that’s not very constructive is it? But they have always been the bane of my existence with their shooty, fishy ways and hold a special place on my :cuss list :D :D

I look forward to these new reinforcements to bring them the Warmasters boot to their fishy behinds!!

I hate Tau. Sorry, that’s not very constructive is it? But they have always been the bane of my existence with their shooty, fishy ways and hold a special place on my :censored: list :biggrin.::biggrin.:

I look forward to these new reinforcements to bring them the Warmasters boot to their fishy behinds!!

That's okay, everybody has an army they hate to play against. I for one hate to play against AdMech even with my T'au for example. :D

I had another game last night using  Black Legion vs. the Cult of the 4 Armed Emperor. My oppnent is familiar with the army but was trying out the new codex in his first game so we definitely didn't go full out. I took a very diverse list with a lot of very different unit types so he could try some stuff out.

I ended up darn near tabling him just because of my luck with Berzerkers and the Landraider was beast mode with Abaddon.

However I will say I enjoyed using Cacacphony on my Terminators for fun. Also I almost lost Abaddon to his two new Assassins! Down to 2 wounds from a sniper and the other close combat dude, until Abaddon struck  him low with dad's glove hand.

Funny thing is with that silly anti-psyker Sniper Pistol.... He did tag my Daemon Prince a few times, and when he shot at Abaddon if he would have shot at the DP, he would have almost surely killed him. Watch out for that gun.. .it's crazy good.

I also got "Vect" during the game... gees I hate that type of Strategem. (Happened when I tried to interrupt in CC with my DP vs 10 Genestealers).

I'd say playing GSC is very similar to playing Drukhari. You have to be careful and know what you're doing since everything you have is super squishy (except for the AM tanks I guess), but once you got the hang of it or the dice gods smile on you you can devastate your opponent. Anyway congrats on rocking with the Landraider! :tu:

I hate Tau. Sorry, that’s not very constructive is it? But they have always been the bane of my existence with their shooty, fishy ways and hold a special place on my :cuss list :D :D

I also love chopping Tau to ribbons, but they're not fish; they're cows.

I'd say playing GSC is very similar to playing Drukhari. You have to be careful and know what you're doing since everything you have is super squishy (except for the AM tanks I guess), but once you got the hang of it or the dice gods smile on you you can devastate your opponent. Anyway congrats on rocking with the Landraider! :thumbsup:

Thanks. That's a good analogy of the Genestealer cult and I will pass that on to my opponent.

Actually we spoke today after the game and I think Abaddon would have died. It turns out that Sanctus assassin blade does D3 Mortal wounds IF you survive his attack! I very well could have lost my Warlord to such a heinous goofball defect from the Imperium! Watch your backs against this Genestealer cult guys.... they are going to be aura killers.

The assassins and sniper are definitely super scary. Not sure what I'll do against those with Chaos except for hiding characters out of LoS with tanks or hide them inside of tanks but with my Primaris I think I'll definitely get the new sniper guys to get counter snipe.

Satyrs.

I did about as well as expected at the tournament.

Game 1 vs Tyranids

gallery_85153_13735_889636.png

gallery_85153_13735_531009.png

He hadn't played much 8th ed so we only got a couple of turns in, but I pulled ahead on points and had gotten rid of most of his genestealers.

gallery_85153_13735_370051.png

Game 2 vs Knights

I got flattened by 2 shooty knights, a castellan and a gallant. The gallant killed most of my stuff.

Game 3 vs Tyranids

gallery_85153_13735_302900.png

gallery_85153_13735_154314.png

Like game 1 but a nastier list with the swarmlord and two acid spray tyranofex.

gallery_85153_13735_718725.png

I seized the initiative, threw my bikes forwards in the hope of slowing some genestealers down and then managed to blow up a tyranofex with my shooting. The genestealers then spewed forth and with the help of the Swarmlord charged and killed my warlord with their fighting twice stratagem.

I counter-charged with my chaos marines and finished off one unit of genestealers. The melee helbrute ended up in a long scrum with a second unit of genestealers.

I killed most of his army except for a unit of 30 termagants who had been holding objectives the whole game, but that won him enough points to be far ahead. I probably should have kept my bikers back for a few turns and then rushed into his back lines later on. I also hid my plasma cannon helbrute behind a ruin wall and forgot about him for most of the game, but he did kill a broodlord when I did remember him.

Game 4 vs Unforgiven

gallery_85153_13735_24218.png

gallery_85153_13735_280816.png

gallery_85153_13735_752110.png

With endless cacaphony, veterans of the long war and prescience my autocannon havoks were able to blow away the helblasters around his Azrael stand in.

I warptimed a Helbrute into the aggressors and survived with 1 wound after a ton of overwatch, but Azrael's aura held strong and he only killed a few before they crushed him in return.

gallery_85153_13735_640710.png

After a turn of poor shots, his devastators and deredo rolled very well and killed my last two helbrutes. I had enough firepower to clear away his chaplain dread and aggressors and charged a rhino into Azrael to lock him up while my bikes rushed forwards to charge and shut down the Deredo.

gallery_85153_13735_244646.png

gallery_85153_13735_323540.png

The deathwing dropped down and shot a unit of cultists off their objective, but their second round of shots only manged to take out a few obliterators.

gallery_85153_13735_109752.png

Lord Tarhunt charged into his counts as Azrael, who interuprted with 2 CP only to have all his attacks bounce off the lord's sigil of corruption. Tarhunt then struck back with the murder sword and got enough attacks with Death to the False Emperor to kill him.

gallery_85153_13735_182730.png

After whittling the Terminators down with smites and havoc support a few squads of chaos marines were able to hold them up in melee.

gallery_85153_13735_594404.png

Game 5 vs Necrons

He had 3 of those forge world constructs.

He got the first turn and killed most of my rhinos, helbrutes and missile launcher havoks, but i was able to counter-attack with my regular chaos marine squads and kill a heavy construct on the first turn with a mix of melta and plasma, which exploded and wiped out the marines who had taken it down.

gallery_85153_13735_661271.png

gallery_85153_13735_83856.png

gallery_85153_13735_100665.png

His turn 2 the warlord construct held back while the other remaining one rushed forwards, shot my last helbrute to bits and charged my warlord, killing him. My Obiliterators then came down and killed the construct which also exploded taking down most of the rest of my army. His final construct was then able to gun down the obliterators who turned out to only be 90% out of line of sight after his movement.

I ended the game with one squad of cultists hiding in a corner.

If there had been more terrain or I had gone first I probably would have won. Those constructs do a lot of damage but are basically index knights so not that hard to kill at all. Their 4+ explosion is what really sealed the game.

I hate Tau. Sorry, that’s not very constructive is it? But they have always been the bane of my existence with their shooty, fishy ways and hold a special place on my :censored: list :biggrin.::biggrin.:

Satyrs.

Anime Fish/cow Hindu/Commies.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

I would say with some CC marked raptors but Marks sadly don't really do anything anymore and he can only effect black legion. 

No he effects all Raptors.

But really his best use currently and unfortunately is for the basis of a Jump Lord with other weapon options and such.

Best use for Haarken Worldclaimer in game?

I run a couple units of 10-15 raptors, Mark of Khorne, throw into melee and when/if they drop on table plasma something for damage. Its okay, not great but not awful. Squad leader gets a fist. 

Honestly Haarken needs the tiniest little fix: "All raptors within 6 re-roll all attacks" Its the "melee only" part that is holding him back. 

Best use for Haarken Worldclaimer in game?

I run a couple units of 10-15 raptors, Mark of Khorne, throw into melee and when/if they drop on table plasma something for damage. Its okay, not great but not awful. Squad leader gets a fist. 

Honestly Haarken needs the tiniest little fix: "All raptors within 6 re-roll all attacks" Its the "melee only" part that is holding him back. 

But arent Raptors a close combat unit? Or should be? It's not really holding him back if that is there intended role

Not really. Only the champ has the option to upgrade his chainsword. 2/5 can take plasma pistols or special weapons, though. I'd say they're a mobile shooting unit that can be equipped to pose a minor threat in close combat.