The Psychic Bandwagon - A Thousand Sons Log

Halandaar

It's taken a long time for me to arrive at this point, finally donning the pointy-helmet of Chaos and nailing iron garden railings to all my vehicles, and that's mainly because there are not that many models in the Chaos range that I actually like. I mean, the Dark Vengeance stuff is fine, as are the Raptors and the newer Daemon Engines, but most of it is (IMO) pretty naff looking. What I needed to drag me in was some genuinely nice new models.

And then the new Thousand Sons stuff arrived. "HOLY CRAP! I need those in my collection" pretty much summed up my reaction to them. So for the first time in a very very long time, I pre-ordered new models!

Today, they arrived on my desk:

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/halandaar/Warhammer/30K%20%2040K%20-%20Thousand%20Sons/4b1ab4d5-db32-4816-823e-d2c376023193_zpse1oyueoh.jpg

So we've got

• Ahriman
  • 3x Exalted Sorcerors
  • 10x Rubric Marines
  • 5x Scarabl Occult Terminators

I'm intending to do them in a metallic red and gold, pre-Heresy style scheme. I've also got a bunch of MKIV Tacticals that I never painted up for my Alpha Legion, that may end up joining the force as stand-ins for regular CSM squads. The whole thing may in time develop into a joint 30/40k army! Hope to get working on this guys straight away tonight!

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/halandaar/Warhammer/30K%20%2040K%20-%20Thousand%20Sons/BF9EB7AC-A8BB-4D48-A7E5-41CDED5BC340_zpsyvvnulzh.jpg

Well, the first thing I have to say about Ahriman is that although it's a really great and very detailed model, it's also bordering on ridiculous. Feels like the number of components is actually higher than necessary and it's a bit fiddly!

I've swapped out the ram-skull shoulder pad for one from the Exalted Sorceres kit, as I'd like to tie him in with the other models a bit more. Along those lines, I'm contemplating switching out the staff head for the one from the 30k Ahriman, and possibly even a head swap. Any thoughts?

His helmet in 40k is iconic. 

True enough. I decided in the end that the curved staff top from the 30k model just doesn't look big enough compared to the rest of it and seeing as the Black Staff and Amon's helm share visual themes, i'll keep both on my Ahriman.

I also put together some Sorcerers;

Apologies for dodgy lighting in pictures! The Exalted Sorcerer kit is really great, and chock-full of all kinds of bits, although it had some of the most pronounced mouldlines of any GW kit I've had in years. I'll definitely need to revisit these guys for a cleanup as i didn't have a file or mouldline remover to hand when building.

Hopefully that's a one off rather than an issue with the kit in general as I think I'd like another in future. There are enough different torso, head and arm bits to ensure 2 sets of them wouldn't look exactly the same.

In general though it's a real step forward (or backward it you consider the Fantasy hero/wizard kits) to have multiple, multi-part independent characters in a single box. I'd love to see other character models get this treatment in future; Eldar Warlocks in particular seem like this style of kit would be great for them, where you potentially want a lot of them in a force and single-pose clampack models aren't going to cut it. Space Marine Librarians with a variety of Force Weapons would be excellent as well. 

Those plastics look great! Is there much of an option to customise the sorcerer kit? How are you going to achieve your metallic scheme?

From what I can tell it's fully compatible with most other Space Marine kits; the collar crests look like they'll fit onto MKIV & MKVII for example. It's certainly a lot more customisable then any of the clampack plastic characters. I think there are about 6 different torso fronts, heads, collars, staff tops and loads of arm options, but only 3 backpacks, 3 capes, 3 sets of leg/back.

The staves in 2-handed grips are single pieces though, so those would need more work to repose, and there are a few arms with extra limbs (they look like Pink Horror arms). I wanted to avoid using any of the mutated/daemonic pieces on the Sorcerers, so that reduced my options quite a bit, but would be great if I wanted to do a unit of Tzeentchian Posessed marines.

The main drawbacks to it really are the leg+back pieces, which aren't really customisable, so you'll always have a "striding forward" guy, a "standing still in my robe" guy and a "floating in the air on some magic with my raptor feet" guy. The last one in particular feels like any models based on it would all be a bit similar because it's such an odd/specific pose, and the torso on it leans back quite a lot so without cutting & re-fitting it, you'll always end up with an album-cover power-pose type of look.

For the metallic scheme, I've not actually tested it yet but the core of it is likely to be Leadbelcher spray base, airbrushed Runefang Steel Highlights and then layers of airbrushed Angron Red (the ForgeWorld clear paint). I'm don't have the biggest knowledge base when it comes to painting so i'm not sure if i'd be better doing my shading before or after the red layers.

They sound like they have a few options! I love the fact that the Scarab occult terminators are based off the new plastic tartaros. Looking forward to seeing those built.

I'm still working out airbrush techniques for my metallic scheme myself. I would suggest you play around with ideas before you commit, there are so many variables to the glazing stage (air pressure/thinner/Number of coats). I have found applying GW washes really mutes the gloss finish, and at times can give a stained appearance in bright light, using satin spray varnish can help this. Using different shades of metal seems to give a lot of depth, you can always just pin wash the deeper recesses when done. That's my experience with the alpha legion anyway!

I have a BaC tactical squad I'm intending to use as a test unit. If I can get anywhere near the level your Alphas are at I'd be over the moon! I'll have a go at doing a few different schemes at the weekend and see how I get on.

Well, I got no painting done but have mostly put together my Rubrics. It's a nice kit and although it's just as multipart as your other modern Space Marine kits it feels a little.. I don't know. Static?

The pose set is pretty limited and particularly the angling on the wrists gives you a lot of "slightly hefted" and "aim from the hip" stances rather than anything like aiming. I guess part of that is having to accommodate 10 Flamers in the set.

Also, I do get that they're supposed to be slowly advancing automatons and to be fair, the kit does reflect that quite well with the Sorcerer being the only one with any dynamism.

There's also enough spares to be able to add to my MKIV squad leaders when I get around to them.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/halandaar/Warhammer/30K%20%2040K%20-%20Thousand%20Sons/961280E6-CF0B-4D91-A2C3-66F064E37EBA_zpstcv1s4rq.jpg

I also started work on the Scarab Occult Terminators, which are an all round step up from the Tartaros kit. Really great components and again, enough spares to add to regular Tartaros. It's a shame they don't have the option to take more regular Terminator weapons (Power Fists/Chainfist) so you can mix and match a bit more though.

Also like that the staff tops from all 3 kits are interchangeable so that's one element where you hopefully wouldn't have any duplicates even with multiples of the same kit.

Couple of quick shots of the Scarab Occult Terminators; I opted to leave their gorget/crest pieces off for now to make it easier to paint the helmets. I must say that I absolutely loved putting this kit together. One thing to note: there are exactly 10 Shoulder pads, so if you wanted to magnetise the Heavy Weapon option you'd need to get another one from somewhere (i beleive the Prospero Tartaros kit comes with a couple of extras)

And finally, my test model for the colour scheme; a MKIV Tactical Marine:

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/halandaar/Warhammer/30K%20%2040K%20-%20Thousand%20Sons/F822ED60-4EF9-4097-8E32-3BB7FB139241_zpsxkgslkoa.jpg

Looking good mate, only thing I'm not sure about it the white on top of the helmet, I think with the gold, the green and the red it looks a little busy IMHO. I'd also pick out the recesses on the feet with a bit of nuln oil (applied to the recesses only). The base red you've got going looks great and the white on the bolter/knee pad gives a nice contrast.

Looking good mate, only thing I'm not sure about it the white on top of the helmet, I think with the gold, the green and the red it looks a little busy IMHO. I'd also pick out the recesses on the feet with a bit of nuln oil (applied to the recesses only). The base red you've got going looks great and the white on the bolter/knee pad gives a nice contrast.

Thanks for the feedback and tips! I take the point about the white helmet crest; I figured it might be a nice way to pick out Sergeants and Combat Squad Leaders, but on reflection it is a lot of colours in a relatively small space.

Thanks for the feedback and tips! I take the point about the white helmet crest; I figured it might be a nice way to pick out Sergeants and Combat Squad Leaders, but on reflection it is a lot of colours in a relatively small space.

No worries, the White would probably work on the rubric helmets though.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I got some progress done on another couple of guys from my test batch. I think they're going to look pretty nice all ranked up together.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/halandaar/Warhammer/30K%20%2040K%20-%20Thousand%20Sons/4342606F-AB8D-4ECD-94A8-7E84BD88506A_zpsxeicpe1g.jpg

And yesterday I primed the Rubrics, Sorcerors and Scarab Occult Terminators which I'm hoping to sneak into L&T as "counts as" Legion Veteran Tacticals, Librarian Consuls and Legion Terminators respectively :)

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/halandaar/Warhammer/30K%20%2040K%20-%20Thousand%20Sons/50FF47B2-C973-481E-9717-764AFB10B20D_zpsmmlui0mc.jpg

Ahriman is primed too (but in black as he's mostly cloth rather than metal) and I'm thinking I'll work on him until L&T kicks off!

Archived