Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dawn of War III

• Please log in to reply
473 replies to this topic

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,553 posts
  • Chapter Name: Minotaurs, Sanguine Eagles
Had a quick run with the beta last night (and will be doing some more today) and I have to say the game looks great. I have a couple of UI niggles:

I found it difficult from a quick glance at the screen which units I had selected and which I didn't. Is there an option to make this more obvious on the menus somewhere, either on the unit healthbars or in the portraits at the bottom of the screen?

Unable to "unselect" building and units by clicking empty ground on the map. It's not super bad obviously but I guess I'm just so used to being able to deselect in this way in other games. Combined with not being able to easily see what's selected, I end up accidentally setting rally points and moving stuff around when I don't mean to.

ProjectLogsBanner_zpst6u6alrs.png MinotaursBanner_zpss9debfxv.png AlphaLegionBanner_zpsbvnjdfkj.png ThousandSonsBanner_zpsepvbqnia.png EventsBanner_zpshae9krd5.png xenophile_zpshyoyy9dy.png ifexiv_zpsotfxrnnv.png ETL_2016_Badge_04_Forum_Champion_Codex_z ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei04_zpscciv L_T_2_2016_Medal_zpsjpjntd9q.gif L_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain_zpsstqsd39d

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,675 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cacophony of Unbound Pleasure

Had a quick run with the beta last night (and will be doing some more today) and I have to say the game looks great. I have a couple of UI niggles:

I found it difficult from a quick glance at the screen which units I had selected and which I didn't. Is there an option to make this more obvious on the menus somewhere, either on the unit healthbars or in the portraits at the bottom of the screen?

Unable to "unselect" building and units by clicking empty ground on the map. It's not super bad obviously but I guess I'm just so used to being able to deselect in this way in other games. Combined with not being able to easily see what's selected, I end up accidentally setting rally points and moving stuff around when I don't mean to.

More obvious than highlighting and increasing the size of their units portrait on the bottom of the screen? That's one of the most obvious things I've noticed on the whole UI. :D

gallery_62972_10568_6124.jpg

exsanguis

exsanguis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 269 posts
  • Chapter Name: Imperial Fists

Still unsure how I feel about it. Assault Marines were good fun, but it's very cartoony (I get a Starcraft 2 vibe from it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing I guess).

Gabriel's hammer needs a sound upgrade though. Sounds like he's hitting them all with a frying pan, not an electric space hammer of death. The sound in general seems pretty poor in my opinion. Space Marines should have a voice like James Earl Jones! The Servitor needs a more mechanical voice too.

The animations seem a bit off (Gabriel runs like a spaz), but maybe I'm just expecting way to much from this game. Will give it another crack tomorrow and judge it after a good nights sleep!

• Legionaire of the VIIth likes this

Legionaire of the VIIth

Legionaire of the VIIth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 259 posts

So I just try to play a bit. Did the tutorials and everything was fine. Started a multiplayer match and suddenly my controls were censored.gif. Couldn't move the camera with my mouse anymore but instead with wasd.

I had that happen to me yesterday but found it reverted back when I set a control group (which the game was temperamental about doing at first).

Edit: As for the game itself, like others I get a very Starcraft 2 kind of feel with it (Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void single player missions where you control a hero). The Servitor walk almost had me laughing with his kicking out his leg as he walked.

So far playing the beta has only reinforced my opinion that it isn't really a game I want to buy at full price but I'm sure there are a lot of people who will enjoy it and have been convinced to buy it that might not have.

Edited by Legionaire of the VIIth, 22 April 2017 - 03:49 PM.

• sfPanzer likes this

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,316 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines
Imo all Space Marines should be posh, English guys.

-~Ishagu~-

Learn2Eel

Learn2Eel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 77 posts

I'm giving the beta a miss because I want to play the campaign before multiplayer, but from the reviews and most impressions I'm liking what I'm hearing - including the good and the bad! 

Relic games are never perfect and sometimes that just adds to their charm. The horrible game balance in Dark Crusade particularly has always made me laugh. 

The Elites system...intrigues me. I didn't expect so many units to be Elites, but I guess the diversity of them and the Doctrines is what gives the game its replayability for multiplayer. 

Edited by Learn2Eel, 22 April 2017 - 04:44 PM.

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,934 posts

The Elites system...intrigues me. I didn't expect so many units to be Elites, but I guess the diversity of them and the Doctrines is what gives the game its replayability for multiplayer. 

9 per a faction!

the nice thing about the system governing things is if we add new ones down the road it doesn't destroy multiplayer balance.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,675 posts

Played 3 rounds now and one thing I noticed is that the balance is kinda off.

Gabriel and the Imperial Knight wreck everything on their own while Terminators and Deathwatch struggle a lot. Tacticals and Assault Marines are nice for the early game but later they are only cannon fodder just like Scouts. The real fight is between the broken elite units and vehicles like Dreadnoughts and Landspeeder (okay to be fair, Landspeeder are fairly fraguile as they should be, but the mobility is REALLY nice).

Dreadnoughts destroy a Knight over time but I had to  use 3 Dreadnoughts to fight Gabriel and one (almost two) of them got killed even.

It's pretty clear...Gabriel is one of the lost Primarchs! :D Three times the size of regular marines, jumping around in TDA as if it were Scout armor, costing only 4 ressource points (iirc) but being a lot tougher than the 10 rp Knight who is already almost unstoppable. :D

• ThatOneMarshal and Legionaire of the VIIth like this

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,668 posts

"Chapter master, is that the found sight of Xenos I spy over yonder? "

" Why sergeant I believe you are undoubtedly correct."

"Ee gads, shall I ready the demi company for immediate action? "

"Quite, sergeant. And while you're at it ready the cleaning serfs too. After this little cafuffle I do believe my boots will need a sound polishing! Ohohohoho!"
  • Ishagu, DeadFingers, helterskelter and 2 others like this

Slowly reaching for the highest number of posts on the BnC - TOP 10 ACHIEVED

gallery_62972_10568_73818.jpggallery_48988_6285_4379.pngCE%20Sep_zps3s8x9ggk.jpg

In Their Fists They Carry Death - The Legiones Custodes

++WIP Thread++

++Index Astartes Sanguine Visions++

++Heresy WIP Thread: Talons++

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,601 posts
  • Chapter Name: Order of the Valorous Heart

"Chapter master, is that the found sight of Xenos I spy over yonder? "

" Why sergeant I believe you are undoubtedly correct."

"Ee gads, shall I ready the demi company for immediate action? "

"Quite, sergeant. And while you're at it ready the cleaning serfs too. After this little cafuffle I do believe my boots will need a sound polishing! Ohohohoho!"

This is beautiful. Though, I imagine you meant "foul" rather than "found"? the only reason I ask is because this might have to go on my profile page (if there isn't room in my sig :P )

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,668 posts

CURSE YOU AUTOCORRECTTTT!

gallery_62972_10568_73818.jpggallery_48988_6285_4379.pngCE%20Sep_zps3s8x9ggk.jpg

++WIP Thread++

Knight of the Raven

Knight of the Raven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,019 posts

It's posts like this that make me realize switching from French to English was the best thing that ever happened to the international language of diplomacy.

To go back to Dawn of War III, I probably won't buy it. I'm not interested in skirmish games and I'm even less interested in a campaign where I have to play a faction I despise for two thirds of the missions, even it if turned out I could make the Eldar win the campaign.

• Silas7 likes this

I'm not your friend.

Marshal_von_Speer

Marshal_von_Speer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 98 posts
  • Chapter Name: Mundatio Crusade

Having played the beta, I really don't like it. Compared to DoW 2 it feels dumbed down and reduced to the generic spammy rts gameplay (loss of cover system, no "retreat" function etc.).

Some other points I disliked:

- No victory-point games

- Base building doesn't add much gameplaywise

- Cartoonish art style

- Odd unit movement (wiggly tanks, hinking servitor, "Cirque du Soleil" Angelos etc.)

- Overview: Maintaining overwie in large engagements is really hard (telling units apart, etc.)

- No customizable hotkeys

- Too much emphasis on elites

gallery_38474_6916_12161.jpgETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpg

+FAITH IN THE EMPEROR IS ALL+

+IT IS THE LIGHT THAT GUIDES+

+THE WARMTH THAT SUCCORS+

+THE FIRE THAT PURGES+

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,668 posts

Personally I love the hotkeys. Instead of being all over the keyboard they're kept to a nice neat square and are keypad friendly too.

I play a lot of FPS and MOBA so having most abilities on QWER is amazing.

++WIP Thread++

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,675 posts

Yeah the hotkeys are pretty neat imo.

Another thing I noticed balance-wise btw. are Whirlwinds...they barely do any damage and have to re-load so you can't just let them attack a spot and go over to use other models. I mean sure, they are pretty weak on the tabletop, but why do they have to be weak in DoW as well? :D

The_son_of_Dorn

The_son_of_Dorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,398 posts
  • Chapter Name: XII

I have to admit. I have mixed feeling about this game. The only real reason i continue to play DOW I is because of all the mods out there. 

I really don't see why they just can't make a game called Dawn of war Apocalypse with emphasis on base building and armies. Yes it may not be fluffly to have space marines get mowed down by Eldar in wave after Wave but at the same time I think we would all love the chance to play as our favourite armies in a all out brawl.

Plus pop caps.....seriously?  

My alternate Heresy http://www.bolterand...llen-primarchs/

Custodi me mortem, mortem tuetur me

Silas7

Silas7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts
  • Chapter Name: Crimson fists

I'm so frustrated that this installment doesn't appeal to me and how badly i want to vent about it. But whats done is done and I won't muddy the waters anymore.

There is only the Emperor and he is our shield and protector.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,675 posts

Yeah I was never a super huge fan of the DoW games unlike others here but I think I like DoW2 better. No question the technology and how DoW3 looks are simply great but so far I didn't enjoy the Multiplayer mode that much and I already dislike that I have to play factions in the campaign which I don't want to play.

Marshal_von_Speer

Marshal_von_Speer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 98 posts
  • Chapter Name: Mundatio Crusade

I think this is a pretty spot on review:

Edited by Marshal_von_Speer, Yesterday, 07:06 PM.

• Legionaire of the VIIth likes this

gallery_38474_6916_12161.jpgETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpg

+FAITH IN THE EMPEROR IS ALL+

+IT IS THE LIGHT THAT GUIDES+

+THE WARMTH THAT SUCCORS+

+THE FIRE THAT PURGES+

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,611 posts
  • Chapter Name: 7th Terran Regiment

Downloading the Beta now. Hoping its not as eSports as everyone is saying. 

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,675 posts

I think this is a pretty spot on review:

Yeah I can pretty much confirm every point he talked about unfortunately.

teutonicavenger

teutonicavenger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,681 posts
  • Chapter Name: Death Guard
Wow that's disappointing :( I was waiting on the fence until reviews came out before I tried it but if it doesn't even feel or play like a actual dawn of war game then what's the point, I'll wait for the actual games out until before I decide fully but not convinced oh well back to BFG

Where Monsters Tread: A Chymeriae Warband‚Äč
UPDATED 05/02/17

ETL_2016_Banner_02_Oath_Breaker.jpg
May the Gods have mercy upon me

Firenze

Firenze

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,031 posts
  • Chapter Name: XX Legion, Raptors

Well I hate to overturn the train here but I am seriously liking it. Its actually very interesting to play, with the Elite units turning the tide in the early/late game depending on when they are deployed. I first started just saving up for the big guns out the box but once I realised how they worked I started to be more tactical. I never got to grips with DOW2 and couldnt get into it too much, but coming into DOW3 I am really enjoying it. Art wise, love the building designs, although my main gripe is the super saturation, although i hope i can tone it down in the fll game somehow.

Also, I find whirlwinds can be useful, they arent utterly terrible XD. Current favourite unit is dreads deep striking. Yes please <3

SlaveToDarkness

SlaveToDarkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,824 posts
  • Chapter Name: Defecators

Reviews are starting to come out now and it sounds like it's a major disapointment...I miss DOWII

No coop, poor campaign, no retreat, no cover, poor pacing, annoying micro management...

I thought DOW2 was poor so maybe I like this one. People have different tastes. Out of all my many friends who love films Im the only one who likes the new Ghostbusters film yet I complained about the gender swap before I saw it. Give DOW a try you might like it.

Explorer in the further regions of experience; Demon to some, Angel to others.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Liberate Tutemet Ex Inferis

4 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dusktiger, Mechanicus Tech-Support, Legionaire of the VIIth