Flesh Tearers WIP Army

wiqid

Hey folks.

I recently got back into the hobby and have amassed quite a collection due to succumbing to the addiction to plastic crack. I have finally decided that despite how daunting of a task as it is to start painting the critical mass of miniatures, I need to quit buying and start painting (except for buying Blood Bowl box set of course... and maybe just the undead and norse team when they come out...no more forgeworld...must block site).

Well I have started painting my first successor chapter - The Flesh Tearers. I have always been a fan of the Blood Angels, but wanted something a bit more darker and menacing both in character and colour scheme, since I always found Blood Angels to be a bit to vibrant. The fluff around them is great as well, being a chapter that is notorious for brutality whilst being on the verge of a dark fate of either being excommunicated or going extinct.

Now I have always been more of an observer when it comes to these kind of forums, usually trawling through all the great army projects, admiring all the amazing conversions and paint jobs, whilst appreciating and learning from all the discussions about the 40k lore and the games strategy and tactics. But I thought since I have such a big task ahead, with much painting and converting to do, it would be more beneficial and fun to try and share and document my project. I figure getting ideas and feedback would be great when it comes to my direction on the project and helping improve my painting. Plus I have always drawn inspiration myself from projects I have come across, so maybe mine will spur someone else on too. Maybe its a good way for me to reinvigorate my efforts, since I am experiencing a bit of a burnout as of late. A good way of me giving back to the community that I draw from a lot.

As a disclaimer, I am more of a painter and not so much into the table top game itself. Though I am probably going to get into the game after I have painted up the army. Bit of a reverse in the usual way people go about it.

So here is a few pictures of some of the marines I have painted thus far.

gallery_95220_12661_170832.gif

gallery_95220_12661_48845.gif

Evidently I really need a better camera and more practice at taking pictures. Sorry for the poor quality. Will try get some better shots next time :smile.:

Some more close up shots of some of my tactical marines. I think I need to try to be more precise and crisp with my edge highlighting and not go too heavy with the shading.

med_gallery_95220_12661_17085.jpg

med_gallery_95220_12661_76599.jpg

med_gallery_95220_12661_90247.jpg

med_gallery_95220_12661_67708.jpg

med_gallery_95220_12661_59120.jpg

med_gallery_95220_12661_19654.jpg

med_gallery_95220_12661_44785.jpg

Almost done with my 30 tactical marines. Moving onto 20 Assault marines next. Such a mountain of miniatures to climb!

Nice job. All those rank and file marines are so had to get through, but they look great in a group shot.

Thanks mate. It can be laborious and the monotony of doing the same thing over again while looking at all you have to get through can get to you. But it is always great to see the fruits of your labour as they begin to show some semblance of an army beginning to form.

Now I just need to finish 20 Assault marines, before I get into the fun of attempting to paint and convert some individual characters. Hopefully by then my painting will have improved some to do them a lil more justice.  

These all look excellent. What's the red you used for the base coat?

Thanks for the compliment. Still trying to get better at painting, but its a fun learning process.

The miniatures actually look a bit darker in person. I use khorne red for the base coat then washed with carroburg crimson and nuln oil (2:1), then I clean up with the base coat again.

Great, thanks for sharing the info. :thumbsup:

What can we expect next from you?

Well I am aiming to finish of my 20 Assault Marines next. Will be painting flesh tearers for a long while still. I am aiming to paint around between 100 marines/terminators/elites, and a host of vehicles and walkers. Daunting, but hopefully my airbrush I will be getting set up soon will help.

Just adding a few pictures of some of my other tactical marines.

med_gallery_95220_12661_759007.jpg

med_gallery_95220_12661_529835.jpg

med_gallery_95220_12661_66857.jpg

med_gallery_95220_12661_363515.jpg

med_gallery_95220_12661_415154.jpg

med_gallery_95220_12661_15232.jpg

These are some of the next miniatures I will try to paint up soon. Death from the sky!!

med_gallery_95220_12661_158733.jpg

med_gallery_95220_12661_699954.jpg

med_gallery_95220_12661_352176.jpg

med_gallery_95220_12661_515435.jpg

Appreciate any feedback or further ideas to help me along my way

Thanks for looking :)

Where did you get the decals from? They look perfect for the job.

Liking the latest batch of pictures. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the support and encouragement :smile.:

I got the decals off ebay. It was some time ago so I can't find it on my purchase history. If I come across the seller again I will post it here. 

Edit* Basically it was this file;

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/files/file/222-flesh-tearers-decal-sheet-bols-version/

Daunting, but hopefully my airbrush I will be getting set up soon will help.

Gotta love the airbrush. It makes base layers and highlights a lot easier and so much quicker, but fair warning, it's also a gateway into other new painting techniques. There are a lot of great how-to guides online. If you're interested, start looking into different scale model tank painting techniques for some cool tips.

Just keep on mind, this could be a venture into the Weathering God's domain. Dirt for the dirt throne!

Daunting, but hopefully my airbrush I will be getting set up soon will help.

Gotta love the airbrush. It makes base layers and highlights a lot easier and so much quicker, but fair warning, it's also a gateway into other new painting techniques. There are a lot of great how-to guides online. If you're interested, start looking into different scale model tank painting techniques for some cool tips.

Just keep on mind, this could be a venture into the Weathering God's domain. Dirt for the dirt throne!

Haha I hear what you are saying. I am somewhat apprehensive and nervous about breaking my airbrush virginity lol. I haven't even set it up yet, but that is mainly because I need to rearrange my workspace and get a better desk. Have all the equipment, just need to find the time to set things up. Then I will trawl through all the countless tutorials and guides I have saved.

Can't wait to mess around with some weathering too. 

• 3 months later...

Hey folks.

Sorry for not updating this in a while. Had a bit of a hiatus then got back to painting recently and managed to get some good progress done over the last few months. Still have a mountain of miniatures to climb and a lot to learn with air brushing (only managed to use it on last squad of terminators).

Well here is the squads I have managed to get done. Got all my assault marines done, now moving on to elite troops. Hopefully I don't get painters fatigue anytime soon.

Let me know what ya think and thanks for looking!

Sorry bout the crappy pictures. Need to work on that too

gallery_95220_12661_30343.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_42407.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_114472.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_58753.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_127700.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_190677.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_67301.jpg

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I will have to look into ways of getting better pics for my next batch. Might need to look into making a lightbox n using a better camera.

I am aiming to paint up 10 death company next. Going to try glowing eyes on these. Hopefully they will turn out alright. 

Thanks mate, glad you like em. Makes me feel like I am improving, albeit slowly. 

I have a few dreads coming up. But might try and finish a few more squads first before I get cracking on those. Have a Furioso, Librarian Dread, and a contemptor.

Archived