Flesh Tearers WIP Army

wiqid

Just a quick update on my work in progress. Working on 10 Death Company assault marines at the moment. Hoping to make these guys look like death incarnate with some converted pieces. They all will have nightlord helms for the added skull of death effect :)

So here are some shots of the work thus far. Have painted up details and highlights on 3 bodies so far. Still trying to improve my edge highlighting. Plan to finish up 2 more bodies then finish the jump packs n helms so I can complete a squad of 5 first. Want to try and experiment with glowing eyes on these guys to make them look more menacing.

Still suck at photographing minis. Need to get round to making a DIY lightbox of sorts.

Anyone have any tips for capturing red well on camera? It always comes out flat in pictures with no discernment for highlights or hues.

gallery_95220_12661_251317.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_47285.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_108378.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_109962.jpg

Hey folks.

After some grafting away in the wee hours, I finally got one squad of death company done. Still one more squad to go.

Here are the results. I decided to try and keep the colour scheme cool and dark, replacing a lot of gold regalia with grey. Not sure whether I over did it and the squad comes across a bit on the dull side.

Had to give up on the idea of trying glowing eyes on these guys. The recesses of the lenses against the skull face guards would have been a tad difficult for a first attempt. Probably not the ideal test subject as the glow effect would be unrealistic with the way the lenses were recessed.

Anyway here are my flesh tearers death company 1st squad

gallery_95220_12661_168201.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_105830.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_238263.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_49481.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_148502.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_86346.jpg

Am debating on adding some weathering powder for a dusted look on the legs of the squad. Have some orange ish FW pigments I never got round to trying. 

Does anyone have advice on what I would need aside from rubbing alcohol n the pigments? Or any general tips n methods? 

Also, do I need to gloss varnish first? Have yet to try that out with the airbrush. Not sure how to thin and apply it with the AB either so i dont over do it and end up with a glossy looking mini devoid of any detail. 

Anyway, thanks in  advance for any help or suggestions. 

Awesome Death Company. They look great with those Night Lord helms.

For weathering powders, I usually apply then dry over the final paint job. Don't use gloss varnish, there's no need. After applying the powder, I'll "set" it by lightly applying white spirit. Then a very thin layer of matt varnish with my airbrush (thinned about 50/50 with airbrush thinner). Good luck!

@Togusan-san

The arms are from the Death Company boxed set.

@terminatorAM

Thanks for the tip and encouragement mate. I always read and assumed you had to varnish the mini first before applying any spirits to avoid chipping away at the paint beneath. Guess I will give a few attempts on a test mini first.

Thanks for the tip and encouragement mate. I always read and assumed you had to varnish the mini first before applying any spirits to avoid chipping away at the paint beneath. Guess I will give a few attempts on a test mini first.

Usually yes, but in my experience the spirit will only chip paint if you're really rough. With powders you want to be very general when applying the white spirit so as not to smear the powders. Test it out first and see how it works. It's really an easy technique, but one of those that's easier to do than to explain :)

Time for a group photo.

After around 5 months of painting, my army is beginning to take shape. Still a few more squads of elite to go, then on to characters and vehicles/ walkers. The rank and file has been laborious but its great to see them starting to resemble a proper chapter.

gallery_95220_12661_29027.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_311806.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on some of the attempts at weathering I have done so far. Added some battle damage on these veterans of death to add to their character and repertoire.

Am new to these techniques, so the weathering with foam took some getting used to, and in the process tidying up and reattempts.

As for the weathering pigments. Still need to get the hang of this too. Thinking of adding a bit more powder to add to the dusted part of the armour.

(on a side note I haven't sealed the powder. So its pretty much dry n bare which might change the look once I get some fixer applied)

So what do you guys think? Was the squad better off without the weathered and damaged look? Or are there any tips or improvements to suggest? Almost have the 2nd squad done n will post pictures of those soon. Haven't decided whether to weather them yet.

Well hope you like what you see so far. Thanks for looking :smile.:

gallery_95220_12661_216576.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_142121.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_73023.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_54344.jpg

Please tell me you are going to attempt a dual chain fist terminator suit that Amit wore. 

Haha it would be a travesty not to do the icon that is Amit if you are doing Flesh Tearers. Fluff wise, I would take him over Gabriel any day of the weak hehe. Just have to make sure I do him justice. Hence why I am leaving characters till after I have painted my rank n file. Hopefully my paint skills improve by the time I try and bring some characters to life.

By the way. Love your Lamenters. I was torn between them and the Flesh Tearers when i was considering my first SM army. Great choice n awesome work !

@ Biohazard & OakRiver

Thanks guys. Glad everyone likes the NL heads on the DC. I have an idea for a custom Chaplain to lead em that I will be working on later too.

Will be posting pics of the new death company squad later. Just need to finish basing em and will be done. Stay tuned :)

2nd Death Company squad completed. Still undecided whether I want to weather em, since would lose some detail in doing so. Maybe just pigments for a muddied/ dusted look on legs? What do you folk think when comparing to the other weathered examples from first squad?

Now I just need to figure out what to paint next. More Flesh Tearers termies, a Dreadnought or something completely different; Blood Bowl Orcs.

Without further due, here are the latest additions. Behold Veteran Tasik's squad of winged death.

gallery_95220_12661_210316.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_150880.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_277234.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_296746.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_39057.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_265852.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_397088.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_81223.jpg

gallery_95220_12661_333319.jpg

Glad you guys like em. Am pleased with the results and hope I am making improvements.

Do you think they would be better with weathering and battle damage? I'm still on the fence as to whether to go over the 2nd squad with the weathered look. Torn between preserving the crisp detail, or adding scratch simulation n dust with the cost of obscuring detail and colour. 

Archived