Of preening angels and the laughter of murderers

The Nephilim

:huge grin: I'm pretty proud of the thread title. I hope it instills the proper imagery for what I'm wanting to accomplish.

This extract is from an idea I'm working with: Aleister Valerius, once a notable lieutenant of the illustrious 3rd Company under the command of Marius Vairosean. Aleister embodied the ideals of the III legion set forth by Vairosean: stern, prideful and above all, calculating. When Marius was slain by the Iron Hands Morlok, Ignatius Numen, Aleister competed fiercely to replace his slain captain, viewing it as both his duty and honor. Aligning himself closely with Fabius Bile and his fleshsmiths, Aleister Valerius positioned himself to rise quickly within the ranks of the Emperor’s Children. For a brief time, Aleister was seconded to the Night Lords prior to the Emperor’s censure of Konrad Curze. His time spent the Night Lords reinforced his cold logic and inspired further darker lusts.

With that, how would a preening Emperor's Children lieutenant's attitude, demeanor, etc be changed by being seconded to the Night Lords? I understand the mentality of the Emperor's Children very well and as much as I like the Night Lords, I know there's better minds to turn to when trying to grasp an understanding of the VIIIth. How would Aleister return to the IIIrd? I'd imagine he'd have scars both physically and mentally.

Having a living person or two integrated into his armour? Think the fleshy floor of tsalgualsa, plus a vox amp to project the screams of the suffering bodies, so when he's in battle not only is he horrifying to look upon, whenever someone attacks him his armour is screaming at the pain, which gets him off and really messes with the opponent. Probably one of the more twisted ways of integrated fallen 3rd/8th culture

He might have a scarred, ugly face which Isn't beautiful enough now when seeking perfection. It cannot be refrozen or repaired due to an errant phosphex grendade landing in his land raider.

After seeking perfection in other ways he decided that he will work with his fleshsmiths.

So he has a specially designed mask.

The mask is a rim that clamps together, and what goes inside are the skinned faces of the most beautiful people he can find.

The body of the enemy (or friend) is preferably alive and kept in a locked state (Fabius drugs help with this) and the face is taken off wth no anaesthetic, it is specially treated to withstand the test of time and the beautiful visage is then clamped on the visor of his helmet.

He skins personally, using his techniques taught to him by his night lord friends. He was gifted with his own flaying knife by curze himself.

How about an abrupt personality shift? From vain dilettante to cold-eyed killer. Now he feels nothing, even during the fury of battle; where he once felt joy and excitement he now is the epitome of icy perfection.

He might have a scarred, ugly face which Isn't beautiful enough now when seeking perfection. It cannot be refrozen or repaired due to an errant phosphex grendade landing in his land raider.

After seeking perfection in other ways he decided that he will work with his fleshsmiths.

So he has a specially designed mask.

The mask is a rim that clamps together, and what goes inside are the skinned faces of the most beautiful people he can find.

The body of the enemy (or friend) is preferably alive and kept in a locked state (Fabius drugs help with this) and the face is taken off wth no anaesthetic, it is specially treated to withstand the test of time and the beautiful visage is then clamped on the visor of his helmet.

He skins personally, using his techniques taught to him by his night lord friends. He was gifted with his own flaying knife by curze himself.

Yes. That's all great.

How about an abrupt personality shift? From vain dilettante to cold-eyed killer. Now he feels nothing, even during the fury of battle; where he once felt joy and excitement he now is the epitome of icy perfection.

Brilliant explanation! I like this idea more than basically being a Marius clone.

I would imagine he would be darker. Both in mentality and in palette. Go with a really dark purple armour. Maybe some lightning bolts. And some grisly trophies. And don't forget a collection of knIves.

Just my two cents.

*steeples fingers* Yes... yes...

See? This is why I came to you twisted, twisted folk. Thank you for deliciously brilliant and dark ideas. Now to incorporate them!

In case you're not following my struggles with writing my IA, here's the updated side panel for Aleister.

Aleister Valerius
Aleister Valerius, once a notable lieutenant of the illustrious 3rd Company under the command of Marius Vairosean. Aleister embodied the ideals of the III legion set forth by Fulgrim: vainglorious, precise and above all, calculating. For a brief time, Aleister was seconded to the Night Lords prior to the Emperor’s censure of Konrad Curze. Though his time with the VIIIth legion was short, Aleister returned forever changed. Once a flamboyant dilettante, he returned a cold-eyed killer; where he once felt joy and excitement he was now the epitome of icy perfection. Aleister’s face once a mirror of his primarch’s golden effulgence, now a skinless, raw affront to the Emperor’s Children sensibilities.When Marius was slain by the Iron Hands filth, Ignatius Numen, Aleister competed fiercely to replace his slain captain, viewing it as both his duty and rightful inheritance. Aligning himself closely with Fabius Bile and his fleshsmiths, Aleister Valerius positioned himself to rise quickly within the ranks of the Emperor’s Children.

What do you guys think? As to the bits I left out, they'll either be addressed later or given over to fanfic. Also, in addition to the flaying knife, I'm contemplating giving him a chainglaive as a count-as paragon blade in 30k, count-as murder sword in 40k. You've helped me shape my idea, give me your input.

Black Orange, it will be a little while before I can place my FW order. It's been a rough year, I'm in the middle of a long and drawn out workmen's compensation lawsuit and it's the time of the year that I'm in super Santa mode. I'd rather give presents than receive. While I have many of the bits I need, I lack some crucial kits to get this under way.

Maybe he took Marius's face off '(like Nicolas cage) and wore it as a badge of office!

I'd have to re-read Angel Exterminatus, but I don't believe there was time to harvest Marius' face. I'm in the middle of Path of Heaven, so that's not going to be for a while.

Archived