Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wrath of Magnus: Grand Coven Tactica

Wrath of Magnus Chaos Space Marines Thousand Sons Legion tactica

• Please log in to reply
759 replies to this topic

Zodd1888

Zodd1888

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 55 posts
I agree with Ethrion on the Horrors/Screamers.

If you're going to ally Daemons get one blob to hide your herald(s).

Screamers are great counters fast moving low AV (aka. Skimmers), and objective takers. With a Sekhmet I can see their value, but not as much if you have a Herd as they're your mobile/tar units.

If you drop screamers and want anti-tank still, as Ethrion said, go Oblits. They're seemingly becoming more vital as I play. Their presence and adaptability ensure they're never useless in a game.
  • jbizzl3y likes this

MoGuy

MoGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 484 posts
  • Chapter Name: Halo Prime

Got four games in against Orks this weekend. Played CAD and some formations. Didn't bring Rubrics nor Scarab Occult Termis. Didn't miss them (they are waaay too expensive when fighting horde armies since it doesn't matter if they shoot down 5 Boys etc.).

My observations:

Tzaangors in their Warherd formation are quite nice. Dropping the Rubrics and Termis made it way easier to fit these guys in. Running and charging is sweet and T4 is also a boon. Always take the Twistbray though, otherwise they run too fast.

Maulerfiends with Lasher Tendrils are the bane of any CC Walker. Buff them with Fleshmetalhide for extra troll power.

Infernal Relic Predator w/ Lascannons and Plasmadestroyer is also very good.

Chaos Contemptor is very powerful but if you don't give him two ranged weapons it is hard to get him into close combat.

A ML3 Daemon Prince (Tzeentch) with wings and the Staff of Arcane Compulsion is about 300 points and well worth it. I let him roll on Malefic and Tzeentch. One game he got Degeneration, Sacrifice and Summoning. I killed a dude with Degeneration, made him into a spawn and then used Sacrifice on the Spawn to make a Herald. Fun stuff. :')

The DP can also pummel stuff in CC since he is S8 AP2 with the staff.

• Prot likes this

Sonoftherubric21

Sonoftherubric21

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 440 posts

Got four games in against Orks this weekend. Played CAD and some formations. Didn't bring Rubrics nor Scarab Occult Termis. Didn't miss them (they are waaay too expensive when fighting horde armies since it doesn't matter if they shoot down 5 Boys etc.).

My observations:

Tzaangors in their Warherd formation are quite nice. Dropping the Rubrics and Termis made it way easier to fit these guys in. Running and charging is sweet and T4 is also a boon. Always take the Twistbray though, otherwise they run too fast.

Maulerfiends with Lasher Tendrils are the bane of any CC Walker. Buff them with Fleshmetalhide for extra troll power.

Infernal Relic Predator w/ Lascannons and Plasmadestroyer is also very good.

Chaos Contemptor is very powerful but if you don't give him two ranged weapons it is hard to get him into close combat.

A ML3 Daemon Prince (Tzeentch) with wings and the Staff of Arcane Compulsion is about 300 points and well worth it. I let him roll on Malefic and Tzeentch. One game he got Degeneration, Sacrifice and Summoning. I killed a dude with Degeneration, made him into a spawn and then used Sacrifice on the Spawn to make a Herald. Fun stuff. :')

The DP can also pummel stuff in CC since he is S8 AP2 with the staff.

Huh, interesting.  While the Maulerfiends are obviously great (for me they have been at least), and I have always personally loved the Tzaangor formation I kind of wince a bit as a "Thousand Sons" army with no.... ya know... "Thousand sons." So I usually toss in  a squad somewhere of the Occult, as I find them to overall be very good for their points, though expensive for me they always pull their weight. 

What weapons do you advise for the Chaos Contemptor? I have a couple of 30k sons Contemptors laying around and I am looking at equipping, leaning toward the Conversion Beamer for one (its so nice and gives ranged/aoe punch we need)  or possibly duel butcher cannons for another, but i think another forgefiend for that would just perform better. 

Edited by Sonoftherubric21, Yesterday, 11:01 AM.

MoGuy

MoGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 484 posts

I kind of wince a bit as a "Thousand Sons" army with no.... ya know... "Thousand sons." So I usually toss in  a squad somewhere of the Occult. 

I had some Exalted Sorcerers and I have the Thousand Sons Contemptor Dreadnought ;) So there were some Sons of Magnus present. And since we played 1500 points it was kind of hard to fit in Occult. :/

For the Contemptor I took a Butcher Cannon, Heavy Flamer in his Fist and the Havoc Launcher. However, as you pointed out, I am not convinced that he is a good shooting platform since a Dakkafiend can do the same for waaay fewer points. I just love the model so I took it. But sadly anything he can do, other things can do better. As a CC walker he is too expensive and slow. I would rather take a Maulerfiend or two Helbrutes. With AV13 he is quite durable but so is a Predator which is much cheaper and thus a better weaponplatform.

Sonoftherubric21

Sonoftherubric21

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 440 posts

I kind of wince a bit as a "Thousand Sons" army with no.... ya know... "Thousand sons." So I usually toss in  a squad somewhere of the Occult. 

I had some Exalted Sorcerers and I have the Thousand Sons Contemptor Dreadnought msn-wink.gif So there were some Sons of Magnus present. And since we played 1500 points it was kind of hard to fit in Occult. :/

For the Contemptor I took a Butcher Cannon, Heavy Flamer in his Fist and the Havoc Launcher. However, as you pointed out, I am not convinced that he is a good shooting platform since a Dakkafiend can do the same for waaay fewer points. I just love the model so I took it. But sadly anything he can do, other things can do better. As a CC walker he is too expensive and slow. I would rather take a Maulerfiend or two Helbrutes. With AV13 he is quite durable but so is a Predator which is much cheaper and thus a better weaponplatform.

Lol fair enough ;-)  

Admittedly 1500 is hard for us. 

I am tempted to go with Conversion beamer and fist on one, deployment defense and gives Thousand Sons a sort of Quasi-artillery shot, without just taking a Vindicator (my Metas FULLLLL Of vindicators so id rather not take one) 

teutonicavenger

teutonicavenger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,583 posts
  • Chapter Name: Heralds of Salvation
If you take contemptor just remember to keep him well away from any combat involving your own psykers (especially horrors) otherwise his hellfire rule can cause them serious damage

Where Monsters Tread: A Chymeriae Warband
UPDATED 05/02/17

ETL_2016_Banner_02_Oath_Breaker.jpg
May the Gods have mercy upon me

MoGuy

MoGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 484 posts

Things I forgot:

I also took a Heldrake. The Hellturkey is decent but that heavily depends on your opponent's army. If I had taken him in the last game, he probably would have been dead points since there were almost only walkers (Killacans and Deffdreads) and vehicles. However, in one of the games he toasted 5 or 6 Ork Bikers in one go and his speed is a huge asset since most TSons units are so very slow.

Furthermore, I took some Warp Talons. They are ridiculously expensive (190 points for 5 guys when they have Mark Of Tzeentch!!!) but also quite killy. Still though, I think taking Raptors and investing the points into a Chaos Lord with Jumppack would be better. 

Sonoftherubric21

Sonoftherubric21

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 440 posts

Things I forgot:

I also took a Heldrake. The Hellturkey is decent but that heavily depends on your opponent's army. If I had taken him in the last game, he probably would have been dead points since there were almost only walkers (Killacans and Deffdreads) and vehicles. However, in one of the games he toasted 5 or 6 Ork Bikers in one go and his speed is a huge asset since most TSons units are so very slow.

Furthermore, I took some Warp Talons. They are ridiculously expensive (190 points for 5 guys when they have Mark Of Tzeentch!!!) but also quite killy. Still though, I think taking Raptors and investing the points into a Chaos Lord with Jumppack would be better. 

For those points id rather take a given unit with Astral Grimoire Sorcerer/Character. Didn't realize it was almost 200 for 5 guys! Ouch.

Heldrakes are interesting for the 1k sons, flamers are good, ap 3 is not needed, but as you said it gives you a good harassment and damage dealer. 

Raptors are a *partial* waste for the MOT however, though with a buff a 5++ isn't awful either, and super easy for us with Force on tap. 

Generally for us, even within a detachment I stick to Rubricae, cultists, Tzaangors for filling troops slots within a CAD, leaning to Cultists.  If I take Tzaangor I usually go with the warherd because its amazing with a 50% chance (bit higher, but don't remember the actual number right now) to get the +1 str on charge.....so we get Assault marines for 7 points a model basically.)  

I also find that within a CAD a single unit of 10 Rubrics, with soul reaper, in a rhino has a definite place in our lists.  I usually find that loadout has a place against most army lists spot removing medium infantry or targetting heavy infantry that doesn't have a 2+ save. Toss in Ob-Sec  on them and they are fairly difficult to remove ignoring AP weaponry on 3++ (force allowing...) hence why I make a place for em ;-) 

Rune Priest Ridcully

Rune Priest Ridcully

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,274 posts
  • Chapter Name: Thousand Sons

Anyone had any luck using Renegade Knights alongside Grand covens? I'm painting one atm and I'm thinking I'll mainly using it around 3000points alongside a maxed out unit wise Ahriman led war Cabal with Vindicator support.

"A tale of 20 gamers" http://www.bolterand...howtopic=254659 Join the HERESY!
Need Snot green paint, will trade bits/pay for it.
QUOTE (Kol_Saresk @ Oct 22 2012, 06:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love how GW creates the Warp Talon to be some sort of super-powered Raptor, and instead it's become the king-of-all-kitbashes.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 9,511 posts

Anyone had any luck using Renegade Knights alongside Grand covens? I'm painting one atm and I'm thinking I'll mainly using it around 3000points alongside a maxed out unit wise Ahriman led war Cabal with Vindicator support.

Yup I have played the dual Gatling Cannon with a Sorc rolling off of Divination. As far as Knights go, I really think it's as good as it gets. Just unfortunately I don't think solo knights are really very solid choices anymore. But if I'm doing it, this is my choice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wrath of Magnus, Chaos Space Marines, Thousand Sons Legion, tactica

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users