Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wrath of Magnus: Grand Coven Tactica

Wrath of Magnus Chaos Space Marines Thousand Sons Legion tactica

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1307 replies to this topic

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,212 posts
Thanks , and I truly mean that, but an Italian translation from 4chan is really pushing the limits of salt. ;)

I feel pretty certain that GW mentioned in a side article that he has 'fly'. Not sure how that got missed because it's what allows him to essentially hit and run from CC.

But if what you quoted is true, the good news is he actually is a bit of a force multiplier but he won't be as survivable and his powers are kind of looking mediocre. Also no apparent immunity to perils is really weird and would be hard to miss.

He would be potentially good in CC but I don't think I'd put him against Guilliman in cc. However if he had his all seeing ability, he could actually target Guilliman with Smite (providing it's not locked to closest target)

Sonoftherubric21

Sonoftherubric21

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 865 posts

So; I did some math here and I think I have a solid guess for the Rubrics. 

The base cost is 18, I have used the "special issue boltguns" of Sternguard as a basis, these are 3 points each. Bringing a base rubric to 21 points a model.  For those of you who havent seen it; a "special issue boltgun" is 30 inch range, str 4, ap -2.....so its a longer-range inferno bolt. carried by a less-sturdy platform, as the Stern guard come in at a 16 point cost (paying for LD bonus, and extra attack presumably) then buy the special bolter as we would buy our guns. they have longer range, we live alot longer with our 2+/3+/5++ saves. 

So Id say its safe to say rubrics are 21 points each gents. using ANY kind of logic and reason. 

This leaves us at a solid 30 points + (lets say stave for sake of argument) at 14 points, for 44 points, then we have to look at adding the inferno bolt pistol, Id honestly say 2 points as given its just a pistol version of our bolt weapon, looking at 46 for our Sorcerer. 

Now we sit at a solid and nicely pointed out 130 points, nice and even.  

The upgrades I have to toss in some guesswork and dont have anything empirical to work with..... The Warp Flamer (given that a flamer is 9 points) will PROBABLY hit the 11-14 point mark. I dont seem them being to much more then this.  I see the soul reaper being a costly bugger, Probably looking at around maybe 17-20.  As the Assault cannons come out to 21, with the same basic stats with an additional pip of strength. 

So my intial guess is that a unit of 10 with a soul reaper is going to be around 240 with 9 rubrics, soul reaper, and an aspiring with stave. 

this is of course some guesswork, along with some assumptions.  But it sure as hell sounds better then 290!!!  And for a much more dangerous unit in general. If its 260 or below I can be happy with that, and it sounds like were on track to hit exactly where we need. 

TL;DR, Look at sternguard, their gun is a match for ours. Points are easy to figure past that. We will be fine. 

Raven1

Raven1

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 815 posts
240 which I think this is a good estimation probably +/-5 points. Which considering a number of things actually saw a points increase and the average game increasing to say 2k, I think it's safe to say the got a buff and a point reduction which they need both to be/stay competitive.

@Prot I totally get you, but asked and answered. I think that it's either wrong or not the whole picture to be honest which could be said just because it on 4chan.
  • Prot and Sonoftherubric21 like this
gallery 48988 13169 15439

Sonoftherubric21

Sonoftherubric21

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 865 posts

I dont doubt Magnus having a aoe buff for the legion, every other character does for dang sure. 

Hoping that we have enough "unique" spells taken into account or something so that the rule of 1 doesn't screw us. 

malisteen

malisteen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,068 posts

Yeah, looking at the marine weapon pricing, that reasoning sounds about right to me.  If it were more than 10 points more or less than that for the squad, I'd be surprised.

• Sonoftherubric21 likes this

gallery_48988_13169_5567.png

Archaeinox

Archaeinox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,040 posts

I dont doubt Magnus having a aoe buff for the legion, every other character does for dang sure.

Hoping that we have enough "unique" spells taken into account or something so that the rule of 1 doesn't screw us.

I bet we will find out for sure in about, oh, 35 hours.

Or earlier, hopefully.

Edited by Archaeinox, 30 May 2017 - 03:42 AM.

Call_of_Chaos_9_Banner_02_Failed.jpg

Raven1

Raven1

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 815 posts
I feel like you know something Archaeinox that you aren't telling.
gallery 48988 13169 15439

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,031 posts
  • Chapter Name: Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons

Right!

So it's been a lovely run for this thread and I want to deeply thank Sonoftherubric21 for all his hard work with the tactica and discussions, but as it is now there is another place to talk about Thousand Sons in, and there is another place to talk about the 8th edition changes in.

Im sure Sonoftherubric21 will start a new tactica thread soon enough when we get into 8th ed properly, but for now ladies and gentlemen. That is all for this thread.

Thousand Sons:

http://www.bolterand...-thousand-sons/

8th edition:

http://www.bolterand...dition-rumours/

May Tzeentch light your paths!

• Dolchiate Remembrancer likes this

"Deception is the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum

gallery_48988_10980_12646.pnggallery_29004_9303_652.pnggallery_48988_13169_1292.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wrath of Magnus, Chaos Space Marines, Thousand Sons Legion, tactica

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users