Sons of Krom/The Drakeslayers - For RUSS, For the Allfather

OK I tried to start a project ages ago but life interfered and I had to sell up.

Now with Primaris etc I have come back. I have a set of DI which will be done as wolves. 

I decided to go for Kroms Company instead of an Exiled one. 

I have picked up some icons from Shapeways.

My initial idea was purely Primaris but I think this might be a mistake so I will be adding standard Wolves stuff, similar to my Grey Hunters I did before. 

Immerse yourself into the sagas. That is when the fun truly begins. Once a Wolf, forever a Wolf. So welcome. Grab a Mjöd and tell us your accounts ;)

As for the scheme, I am bias towards Grey. However, I prefer to do it a bit more silvery than that and have some darker or lighter spots to show the used nature of said metal.

However, since you are talking about the sea, may I recommend a rather dark and dull blue-grey? Like the deep ocean. I think that will look amazing if you mix it with some brown furs.

Alternatively, there is a Dark Elves pirate box from AoS, that has sea Serpent cloaks that fit perfectly on the back of the SM models. I have tried it. First-hand info here.

Both are exceptionally done, that said I *think* I like the blue better. If you doing mostly silvery metallic based on those models the blue makes for a more visually striking piece. It gets a bit lost in the grey.

Also probably depends on how you plan to base them.

Looking forward to your sagas. I like the grey but it's always down to the personal choice. When I started playing many years ago I painted my metal wolves blue. Then they dropped the 13th company plastics and I was like woah... that grey is beautiful on them. I like the darker and gritty look on my guys. Anyway, welcome to the Fang!

I concur with the opinion that both look good... but if I had to choose, it'd be the blue-grey rather than the grey. Maybe it's the 90's in me. ^_^

[...] I want to gauge the opinion and reaction from the best people to ask.

Nobody'll notice if I sit at the back, right? :wink:

I saw both and was torn between the 2 colours.

The blue grey reminds me of the old gw shadow grey.

I have seen some commission painters do their wolves a normal grey colour then give the armour a blue wash/glaze to get a darker 40K wolves look.

• 2 weeks later...

Well its done I have painted my first Space Wolf model to completion... Never thought I would type them words out :smile.:..

I really enjoyed it, not quite 40k or 30k a nice meet in the middle affair I hope you guys like it. I learned alot of stuff the Frost Axe I love, Fur was a new thing. 

With Lone Wolves I have noticed the red hands which I was not sold on so key parts are red to keep the theme.

Without any further ado I present 

Erik Darkmaw - The Shade Wolf - Bearer of the Frost Axe "Winter Fury"

Named after Wolf Lord Kieran

Erik lay helpless his body trapped under the rubble, his left arm and legs under the weight of the building wall hit by the bastards of the Occulus and his wretched traitors marines.

His helmet malfunctioned but worked enough for him to see his brothers of his pack die one by one to foul sorcery and arcane weapons, the rage overtook him as the nine remaining brothers of his pack died. 

Left for dead by the traitors, Erik waited over 72 hours before Einars Wolfguard found him. 

‘We found a survivor Lord Einar… it's Erik Darkmaw, his pack is gone.’ 

Erik heard the voices he recognised Rothgar Blackstone Einars Wolfguard Leader and his second in command, he placed his armed gauntlet on Eriks visible paldron. 

‘Sorry brother we have just retaken this sector, rest assured you will have vengeance.’

The Winterguard set about removing the rubble, it did not take long for them to rescue Erik, but they knew he was not the same, the pack is everything, even moreso since the self imposed exile, it had been 79 years since the last recruitment, Fenris was in the heart, it was the Space Wolves regardless of allegiance. 

After the campaign was over the Blades of Alaric offered their Brothers the ability to resupply which Einar took. But Erik was consumed..

He would die…

His brothers would be waiting. The sagas will be worthy of the Great Hall in the Fang.

Nice use of Kroms axe & Geigors body.

I also like the lens glow.

Fluff piece is also ace :)

:tu:

Well done Arkley. We will make a wolf of you yet ;)

Not sure about the red hands reference though.

Night Lords use it as a mark of censure.

The wolves have blood claws who are the newest recruits but not heard of red hands before.

You could be right.

Red hands could be the lone wolfs sign of guilt having blood on his hands.

Also the lone wolf codex entry picture.

However the great company codex picture shows a skyclaw with a red fingered power fist.

Best person to answer on this would be Valeian the resident loremaster.

Like your theory though

• 1 month later...

Apart from the Lone Wolf, these are the 1st Squad of Wolves I have painted...

I have learned a few things,

1 I really don't like the Chainsword and Bolter with the wolf skull on them I think I will purge them from my bits box (Free to a good UK home).

2 I really liked painting these guys I look forward to finishing them off.

Archived